Gen 3 surging

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Re: Gen 3 surging

Post by Festus »

I have photos from the scope. I’ll have to get them uploaded. Two valves in every cylinder and only 1 of the 2 in that one cylinder was gunked up.
bill lumberg loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Festus wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:56 pm I have photos from the scope. I’ll have to get them uploaded. Two valves in every cylinder and only 1 of the 2 in that one cylinder was gunked up.
Odd - probably not caused by fuel injection if only one of two intake valves.
I would still do the compression/leakdown. Might not tell you why there is a problem but will tell you IF there is one related to valves.
I wonder if a valve clearance adjustment error was made somewhere along the line and that intake wasn't closing???
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

I checked the valve clearance about 20,000 miles ago. It was good then, but I also wonder if 1 is out. It’s at 70,000 miles or so, I think. Probably never adjusted, only checked.

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Carbon on an intake valve not unusual as they run colder than exhausts. Does piston have carbon on it? Inspection camera may be magnifying an issue that isn't there. A bad clearance wouldn't likely have caused carbon, riding like grandma does, but odd that one has carbon and the other doesn't. If it's the outside one perhaps it runs colder. A leakdown test will confirm if that valve is sealing, note a certain amount of leakage is allowed.

Coils - FSM page 8-169 describes resistance check of primary and secondary... where the red/black wire connects to each, put your positive meter lead on it. Negative lead on the other terminal, primary resistance should be 1.19-1.61 Ohms. To check secondary put negative lead on the sparkplug connector, secondary resistance should be 8.50-11.50 kOhms. If that is wrong on conventional spark plug adapters, it is most likely a corroded/oxidized connection of the spring/resistor/spark plug fitting... do not know of coil on plug has removable parts... if you look up the spark plug end and see a screwdriver slot, remove it, clean it, reassemble, recheck secondary resistance.
Festus loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

I didn't do any leak down test. I don't have the tools to do that, but we can certainly get them.

In my opinion, riding these bikes back to back, is that this bike is running a little rough. It's very small, but it's noticeable when swapping from bike to bike. Accelerating, you can't tell it, it feels the same, but just tooling along at one speed, there's a little vibration in the seat that I don't feel on my bike and at idle, I swear I can tell a difference. Viper Dad says he doesn't notice it, but he hasn't ridden both bikes.

Here's a few random photos. Sorry for the poor quality. I didn't think they would be relevant so I wasn't paying as much attention to them as I should have, I was just snapping photos because I hadn't poked a camera into an engine before.

Piston top - Piston Top - Side view of open valve
intake valve on far left of bike - same - random cylinder wall and bottom of different valve
A little crud - pretty clean - crud

Last edited by Festus on Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
wheatonFJR loved this

FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

I have seen worse but not sure what to expect on an FJR.
Go at it with a few tanks with Yamaha Ring Free. I think it is more effective than Seafoam.
I would still like to know if anything is leaking past...
bill lumberg loved this
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

Post by 1911 »

^^^^^what he said^^^^^^

viewtopic.php?t=5178
bill lumberg and FJRoss loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Referencing 1911's post, I mentioned I'm not sure RingFree is the answer, or any fuel additive.... to remove carbon without disassembling the head, either remove airbox and spray atomized water..... or (in former days... and I can't find anything suitable now), one could spray a combustion cleaner directly into a hose attached to the sync port (I wouldn't necessarily recommend that with water). Seems all the good combustion chamber cleaners were discontinued......
Seafoam is mostly naptha, need something stronger with benzine or harsher chemicals in combination......

As for leakdown, I recently bought a compression tester that had various size spark plug hole adapters and a long nipple that would accept an air hose fitting.... this is what you use to do a leakdown test. Piston at TDC and say 90 psi or so of air, if a leaking valve it will come back out the intake port... normally you would warm up the engine and do the compression test first...
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

We will work towards that as time permits. He's getting the bike back this week some time and is going to ride it for a little bit to see if the problem is still there. I couldn't replicate it, but maybe he can.

Do you think that the the one valve being cruddy could be a result of a miss? That would back up the bad or weak coil theory?
Last edited by Festus on Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

You must have infinite patience. I would work on it intensely for a week and then set it on fire.
HotRodZilla, bill lumberg, FJRPittsburgh and 2 others loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Festus wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:15 am We will work towards that as time permits. He's getting the bike back this week some time and is going to ride it for a little bit to see if the problem is still there. I couldn't replicate it, but maybe he can.

Do you think that the the one valve being cruddy could be a result of a miss? That would back up the bad or weak coil theory?
So, any news? Just when it seems to be narrowed down to one or two possibilities, a bunch of new issues come up. Going around in circles! Carboned valve could be nothing or the smoking gun.

I still think you need to nail down compression/leakdown. After that, I would want to see fuel pressure. Try running with O2 sensor disconnected.
I thought the coil swap didn't help?
Still a possibility of a bad TPS replacement?
Vacuum leak or air leak at the throttle bodies?
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

He picked it up last night and rode it home. Said it was running and idling smoother than he remembers. No issues on surging but also didn't do a lot of testing in the RPM range. That's my test ride on it and his ride on it without it happening, so that's good, but not conclusive. It could be we just haven't met the conditions for it to happen.

I have his coils in my bike and I think it's fine. I'm going to ride it like that some this weekend and see if I can make it happen on my bike.

We have a short trip coming up soon so at this point, we're going to ride them as is until after that trip. If it requires further investigation, we'll do the leak down test.

One thing I noticed that caught my eye, visually, when I had the throttle bodies off cleaning them and all the little ports, I noticed the adjustment on the Throttle Sensor, the one on the far left end of the throttle bodies, was at the extreme of one side of the slots. It's got the slots for adjustment and these were at the far end. I know when he put that on at Intech day, they went through the diagnostics and it met the specs, but I thought it was unusual to have a sensor be at the extreme of that adjustment. Normally factory stuff is really close to the middle of the slots, so that's something I'd like to mess with in the future as well.

Maybe it's a combination of that being off, 1 injector being heavy, 1 spark plug with a gap larger than spec, and a dirty intake valve, any maybe a weak coil? Who knows at this point. Maybe we fixed it, who knows?

FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Give a Ring Free enema and ride the snot out of it. If problem persists, I would still check compression...

I would check out the throttle sensor too - sounds a bit odd to me. The sort of thing I would question if installing it myself but either the tech knows far more than I do (likely) or didn't want to take the time to investigate as long as it met "spec". Could be hiding an unrelated issue.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

FJRoss wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:20 pm Give a Ring Free enema and ride the snot out of it. If problem persists, I would still check compression...

I would check out the throttle sensor too - sounds a bit odd to me. The sort of thing I would question if installing it myself but either the tech knows far more than I do (likely) or didn't want to take the time to investigate as long as it met "spec". Could be hiding an unrelated issue.
He's running some LiquiMoly intake valve cleaner in it this tank and the next and we'll see where that leads. We have photos so we can easily check it again and see if it's any cleaner.

The "tech" that installed it would be Viper Dad, assisted by Blind Squirrel, and maybe Powerman, so there's that :)
FJRPittsburgh and FJRoss loved this

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Prior to Gen3, TPS angle was adjusted so both ends of the scale were in range..... for this one, the FSM only mentions the lower scale, adjust between 12 and 21. Iff'n it were me, I'd check where the new one was installed, and set it say 12-14 for a new TPS. Later one day when it gets worn, one can re-adjust higher and get out of the worn spot...... never saw one at the extreme of adjustment.... worth checking......

However, as I recall, changing the TPS did nothing for the surging, but I would check where it's at.
FJRPittsburgh, bill lumberg, and Festus loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Festus wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:32 pm
FJRoss wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:20 pm Give a Ring Free enema and ride the snot out of it. If problem persists, I would still check compression...

He's running some LiquiMoly intake valve cleaner in it this tank and the next and we'll see where that leads. We have photos so we can easily check it again and see if it's any cleaner.

The "tech" that installed it would be Viper Dad, assisted by Blind Squirrel, and maybe Powerman, so there's that :)
Did Mike leave any extraneous guns at your place? Were one of his side cases open when he left? Just curious.
bill lumberg loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Nice.
wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:23 am

Did Mike leave any extraneous guns at your place? Were one of his side cases open when he left? Just curious.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

Might have dropped a Glock but everyone just stepped over it. After all, it's a Glock, right? :mrgreen: :stickpoke:
HotRodZilla and wheatonFJR loved this

blind squirrel
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014

Post by blind squirrel »

No. He only deposits those on the side of the freeway.
HotRodZilla and wheatonFJR loved this
"That feeling is your taint telling you, 'this is a bad idea...'" - extrememarine
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Update?