What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by raYzerman »

In the continuing saga of being too busy..... again, not my FJR....... a gent (another forum) was having issues with poor idle on his 2003 with 50k kms. He had bought this beauty at a Toronto dealer, who didn't even do an oil change (oil was black according to him). Certified Yamaha tech was not willing to dig into it any more than a TBS, new plugs, clutch and brake fluid change, and wrote the cert ticket.... he works there, jeez. Oil change at owner's expense. I volunteered to take a look at his "noisy clutch", Yammy tech had recommended a new clutch basket...... that was 2 weeks ago.

Clutch was in great shape, and I did a soak while in there. It was the idle issue causing him to buck a bit at low speed, not the clutch. So, Sunday he has a second visit, I'm going to hope it wasn't carboned up... he ran 4 tanks with a Techron formula, and rode it spiritedly... no joy on the idle improving. So I had visions of worst case, a valve clearance too small.... but I didn't really have time for a valve check right now, thought I'd dig in and see if there was another cause....

Pulled the plugs, #4 had a bit of carbon around the edges, the rest looked fine. Compression test, all were very uniform and good. Pulled the spark plug boots off to check for bad connection at the spark plug wires, and checked the resistance of the boots.... all 10k ohms right where they should be, except #2 was way high (50k ohms). So basically, an idle problem until higher rpms/voltage lessened the misfire (or masked it). Unscrewed the innards, cleaned up the resistor and mating parts. Trimmed a couple of the spark plug wires although they weren't bad.....

Vroom, no more missing...... adjusted idle up, runs like a top, happy customer. Finished in time for a much needed afternoon nap.
Festus and fontanaman loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

For the past week or so I've been multitasking and only half taking care of my stuff..... last week this girl wandered in, don't know her name, I think she's looking for love. Maybe one or two of you might recognize her, I don't know. Last Friday, she got her new battery all charged and installed. Bike on sidestand, tried to start it... spun over great, wouldn't start..... then I spied the flashing fuel bar.... stood it up, tried again, fired right up. Must only be a cupful or two in there. All good. At least the tank will be easy to lift up, lol.

But she's gonna get some of the same treatment as the last one as I did detect a slight idling issue, and there's more on the list.... Next week, I'll get right back to the young thing. Odo says 256k kms.

Meanwhile, I really have to get ready for SEO tomorrow. I have a couple errands to run first, and... I do have this lunch invitation, and my host has some broken plastic bits needing a quick repair.
BikerGeek, Hppants, El Toro Joe and 2 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Is it rob's? I ain't seen him in awhile as I've been slackin.
fjrob loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

What kind of towmater bike is that!
fjrob, BikerGeek, and raYzerman loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
fjrob
Veteran
FJRModel: 03

Post by fjrob »

Ahhh she a thing of beauty!!. I left the tank empty on purpose. Easier to lift . Thanks Ray. Have a great SEO. I'll be fishing up in Kirkland Lake area. AND donating blood to the local bug life.
raYzerman loved this
#1 frost back!!!
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

fjrob wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:52 pm Ahhh she a thing of beauty!!. I left the tank empty on purpose. Easier to lift . Thanks Ray. Have a great SEO. I'll be fishing up in Kirkland Lake area. AND donating blood to the local bug life.
I am currently in Kirkland Lake for a few days - unfortunately neither fishing nor motorcycling. Sounds like the old girl is getting some attention.
fjrob loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

fjrob wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:52 pm Ahhh she a thing of beauty!!. I left the tank empty on purpose. Easier to lift . Thanks Ray. Have a great SEO. I'll be fishing up in Kirkland Lake area. AND donating blood to the local bug life.
Very few bugs out yet.. well, as of last weekend
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

I fear we may be running poor ol' raYzerman ragged... :lol:

He dropped by my casa today and performed a bit of alchemy a-la epoxy to repair the mounting tabs on my windshield trim pieces... :)
'Went to lunch. Lunch was good...

'New foot rest came in so off to the dealer afterwards... Installed as soon as I got home. :-)

'Found some touch up paint I forgot I had and applied some to a few of the scratched on the right side... 'Not too bad.
I think the old girl doesn't look too bad for having laid down on the pavement.

"good wash and a scoot around the back roads is on for tomorrow :D
bungie4, wheatonFJR, and fjrob loved this
mcatrophy
FJRModel: 2018 FJR1300AS

Post by mcatrophy »

Replaced one gold* screw for another.

Whilst trying to remove this screw a week or so ago, I managed to strip the hex hole. Had to Dremel a slot in it to use a flat-bladed screwdriver (still very stiff to undo).
(Click on image for larger view)

Bought a new one and replaced it.

* Gold? Explains the high replacement cost and the ease of stripping (though the crud buildup in the hex hole and my incompetence might have had something to do with not getting the hex key fully in).
mcatrophy
2018 FJR1300AS - AE in the USA, if only they could have one :o .
2014 FJR1300AS 2010 FJR1300AS 2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonnevill '55 Tiger Cub
ImageMy web site
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Replaced engine oil & filter today. And shopping around for a new rear tire.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

rbentnail wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:55 pm Replaced engine oil & filter today. And shopping around for a new rear tire.
Firestone or Michelin? :D
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

wheatonFJR wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:12 pm
rbentnail wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:55 pm Replaced engine oil & filter today. And shopping around for a new rear tire.
Michelin or Pirelli. My fave Michelin is in short supply so looking at the Angel too. I ran a few a long time ago when the Pirelli Diablo Strada was discontinued. I'd rather have less mileage to get better grip, I'm not sure the newer Angel series will provide that.
wheatonFJR loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Took the ‘18 out for some attention. Tomorrow, the ‘22 sees the mountains for the first time.
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

rbentnail wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:46 am
wheatonFJR wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:12 pm
Michelin or Pirelli. My fave Michelin is in short supply so looking at the Angel too. I ran a few a long time ago when the Pirelli Diablo Strada was discontinued. I'd rather have less mileage to get better grip, I'm not sure the newer Angel series will provide that.
Pirelli Diablo Rossi is likely same as the Strada or replaced it..... got a new one on the back of the VFR, needs to get ridden. Bit softer than Angel GT or other similar sport touring tars.
bill lumberg loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

I got my FJR setup in launch position, leaving at 0600. Gonna clear some cobwebs, do 28, Cherohala-both ways-, Wayah, and 28 south again to Walhalla before heading east. Should be 480 miles and back by 6pm, with Saturday night dinner awaiting.
Festus loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

That's an ambitious ride, Mark. Have fun!!
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Hppants wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:19 pm That's an ambitious ride, Mark. Have fun!!
I’ve done it before. When yer smilin from ear to ear the whole time, it’s easier than I80.
Festus loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Today, I chased after two much faster guys. Jwilly and Wheaton led me on warwoman, 28, the skyway, wolf pen gap, and the Richard Russell Raceway.

It was a most superb day. They waited for me at the turns.

I put my new rambone, gifted to me recently by gixxerjasen, to good use. When I got home, I installed an aftermarket horn. Probably no more effective than the stock one, but it doesn’t sound like a road runner.
gixxerjasen, Hppants, 0face and 2 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Boston
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2005 FJR1300 2001 Roadstar

Post by Boston »

Yesterday. Went out to wash and try and clean the rims. I take off the seats and down under the passenger seat are the leftovers from mice. Cleaned out the crap the mice left, washed and dried and looking good.
So in my head the little voice was yelling you should check the air cleaner!
So today before it gets hot out I take the air cleaner apart. 15 screws and 15 minuets later. Yup, mice had gotten into the air filter but that's as far as they went.
So I cut a piece of metal screen and wire tied it to the air horn. Hopefully that will slow them f-ing critters down.
N4HHE loved this
IBA# 76760
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:12 pm Today, I chased after two much faster guys. Jwilly and Wheaton led me on warwoman, 28, the skyway, wolf pen gap, and the Richard Russell Raceway.

It was a most superb day. They waited for me at the turns.

I put my new rambone, gifted to me recently by gixxerjasen, to good use. When I got home, I installed an aftermarket horn. Probably no more effective than the stock one, but it doesn’t sound like a road runner.
Although there is at least one lie in this post, I like it. It has the glow of a fantastic day ride in the mountains...
...before things turned strange, inconceivable and tragic. I like to think of that ride and joshin around with Jason and Lee. Them keeping me in a safe zone, Jason out leading, Lee backstopping in the trail position. We had a spirited pace, but not typical jwilly pace...maybe he couldn't see me in the mirrors and was looking out for me, I don't know. But he was happy and smiley as always. He was more patient than I would have been behind traffic. He was riding in my comfort zone...so you know he was way backed off his normal pace. We had a lot of fun on warwoman and 28...then as we got near the Gap it was crowded and nasty and we took a quick left and headed to the Cherohala where we stopped at the gas station on the east side. We had a break there, and that's when he explained that he was considering cutting his ride short and heading down to a baby shower he didn't know until the night before that people were hoping he would be able to attend. He felt the strong urge of duty and family, so after we headed over the Cherohala, we stopped for a break, he topped off I believe...he checked directions and when he was ready to go, I gave him a fist bump, we exchanged good byes and words of how awesome the day was, and he headed out.

The rest of the day, Bill Lumberg and I traded places a couple times, but mainly I followed him on 68, 60, wolfpen gap, RRR...then we separated at Helen where Lee headed south and I headed east to Clayton to top off the tank, grab some water and caffeinated beverage and rode warwoman where many wheaton stories have sprung from, and south on 28 to Walhalla where I tried? to be good and follow the cars as I headed east to Travelers Rest, SC. I was hot and tired after 485 miles of riding. I cooled down, took a shower, and had a beer. Louanne was out back and exclaimed, "Jason didn't call!" She liked that...because two previous events required Jason to call Louanne to tell her that her dufus husband screwed up...so she didn't like getting calls from Jason.

Me, I could use a call from Jason right about now.
danh600, bungie4, BikerGeek and 6 others loved this