What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by danh600 »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:20 pm Dan,
I found the secret to getting there is to twist that throttle thingy long and hard until yer there.
When living in Florida I had to twist the throttle for a day and a half to get to the good stuff. Now I can be there before lunch. So I am happy,happy,happy.
bungie4, N4HHE, Hppants and 1 others loved this
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:18 pm Dan,
You are two hours from Marion, NC. I am 1 1/2 hours from Marion. Base of Rt 80. I've been to Roan Mtn and back in a day going the long way. Shoot, been to Erwin Tn and back in time for a Sq Dance, going the long and squiggly way via Sylva, NC.

You. Can. Do. This.
Yea, looks like some good day rides north of me. Looking forward to riding those areas. We have ridden them but over the years spent more time in WNC.
ice station zebra
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008

Post by ice station zebra »

Installed the Fobo Tpms. Easy install, great product.
FastPappy, bill lumberg, and gixxerjasen loved this
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

Just returned from close to a 3,000 mile journey all over the southeast of course hitting the top spots and rides. This all came about after scheduling a fusion back surgery coming up soon. I have been suffering with back issues/sciatica with 2 collapsed discs for quite awhile. Tried everything first, injections you name it. Just keeps getting worse. Doc says take care of it now or you may never get back to a normal active walking life. After much denial I realized its time so I called a good friend and we took off. Sure is good to have a life long best friend (been riding together in one form or another for over 50 years) who could drop everything and get away with me.

Its interesting but I can sit all day on the bike without pain, standing etc. is a bitch, Doc says the bike curves your spine just right to take the pressure off. Had to smile on that one and told him I get pain relief every time I get a chance ;) When I pulled the bike in the garage after the trip it was a sad feeling since I will not be able to ride for at least 4 months. On the trip we met a guy from Ontario who was traveling alone. He has been trying to get away since before Covid. Great guy and we spent some time at Ironhorse together. I know Ontario is a big place but thought of Ray. His name was Jerry on a 2015 FJR. The trip was an incredible time and I have now had my fill of riding that will hopefully hold me over until fall.
Spininprop, Hppants, danh600 and 1 others loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Blueridgerider wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:16 am Just returned from close to a 3,000 mile journey all over the southeast of course hitting the top spots and rides. This all came about after scheduling a fusion back surgery coming up soon. I have been suffering with back issues/sciatica with 2 collapsed discs for quite awhile. Tried everything first, injections you name it. Just keeps getting worse. Doc says take care of it now or you may never get back to a normal active walking life. After much denial I realized its time so I called a good friend and we took off. Sure is good to have a life long best friend (been riding together in one form or another for over 50 years) who could drop everything and get away with me.

Its interesting but I can sit all day on the bike without pain, standing etc. is a bitch, Doc says the bike curves your spine just right to take the pressure off. Had to smile on that one and told him I get pain relief every time I get a chance ;) When I pulled the bike in the garage after the trip it was a sad feeling since I will not be able to ride for at least 4 months. On the trip we met a guy from Ontario who was traveling alone. He has been trying to get away since before Covid. Great guy and we spent some time at Ironhorse together. I know Ontario is a big place but thought of Ray. His name was Jerry on a 2015 FJR. The trip was an incredible time and I have now had my fill of riding that will hopefully hold me over until fall.
Sorry to hear of the pain...glad you were able to take a good long ride with a friend before the surgery. Glad that there is a chance with surgery to possibly correct the issue. People haven't always had that chance.
Blueridgerider loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
mcatrophy
FJRModel: 2018 FJR1300AS

Post by mcatrophy »

Blueridgerider wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:16 am ...
Its interesting but I can sit all day on the bike without pain, standing etc. is a bitch, Doc says the bike curves your spine just right to take the pressure off.
I've always had a poor back, stooping for any time causes my back to ache for hours.

My (late) wife was never sure I was telling the truth. "Sorry, I can't help with the gardening, my back is killing me. If I go for a ride that will make it feel better."
Last edited by mcatrophy on Wed May 11, 2022 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blueridgerider, Bust, FastPappy and 2 others loved this
mcatrophy
2018 FJR1300AS - AE in the USA, if only they could have one :o .
2014 FJR1300AS 2010 FJR1300AS 2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonnevill '55 Tiger Cub
ImageMy web site
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

mcatrophy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:11 pm
Blueridgerider wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:16 am ...
Its interesting but I can sit all day on the bike without pain, standing etc. is a bitch, Doc says the bike curves your spine just right to take the pressure off.
I've always had a poor back, stooping for any time causes my back to ache for hours.

My (late) wife was never sure I was telling the truth. "Sorry, I can't help with the gardening, my back is killing me. If I go for a ride that will make it will feel better."
Sorry about your wife...but that is funny as hell! :lol: :lol:
Blueridgerider and Bust loved this
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

Blueridgerider wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:16 am Its interesting but I can sit all day on the bike without pain, standing etc. is a bitch
Like looking in a mirror. I had back surgery 30 years ago at 24. Since then I've had bouts of back pain here and there all my life and have came out of it eventually. Now it's gotten bad again and not going away. The FJR has never caused back pain (until a month ago) with the way it makes you sit up straight and legs underneath. Right now I'm in Physical Therapy and holding off on the shots. The leg numbness is an irritating b*tch. I'm still holding out hope but I fear surgery may be my only way out this time. Don't know how you pick a doctor that you can trust to make the right call and do it right?

Good luck with surgery my friend.
Don
Blueridgerider and Bust loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Pinched a nerve in my back 42 years ago which continues to flare when riding more than 100 miles. A chiropractor found the problem vertebrae 10 years ago and has successfully pushed it back into place a few times. When it hurts it hurts a broad area but when he put a thumb on it the relief was immediate.

When I stop the position creating the most relief is right hand on cheek/helmet, elbow on right handgrip.
Blueridgerider loved this
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

Wonderful back pain. Mine has hurt for a month, worse than the normal. Not as bad as last time when I had to crawl to the bathroom. Stayed home from work two days last week.

Riding is not bad unless I have to muscle it around pushing it. Not sure if my boss really believes that my troubles all stem from MC riding, he does like screwing with me. Like boiler work at 64 is not much larger cause. I haven't even done any Stadium Jumps lately.
Blueridgerider, Bust, and N4HHE loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Bust wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:27 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:20 pm
Btw, I threw out my tank bag and many things in it today. Evidently a mouse decided to go in there and die awhile back. Unzipped the bag before going on a short ride with Junior and the smell of death spewed out of that bag. Looked inside and squirmy maggots everywhere. Saved my gps, something else, but threw away FJRiders cap, insulated gloves and glove liners. They all had juice of mouse dripping from them along with the plump squirmy maggots. I used that bag less than two weeks ago.

Nasty nasty nasty.
Well dim bulb that's what you get for leaving FYB's piss stained panties and Spencers ball sweat soaked bra in your bag.

I don't feel the least bit sorry for your gash whining azz! :roll:
:D :D
If ya still got the gloves and riders cap send them to Bust. Me thinks he might have a use for them. Don't have a clue what that use might be but I just have a feeling.😁
Bust loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Wiped the dust off with a wet towel. After over a month of long hours at work and borderline masochism in the gym,
I’m riding for a few days and otherwise doing little. Even remembered that I own mesh gear.
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

'Had my first ever "Ooops... Shit!".
Lay'd the FJR down on her right side pulling away from a the stop sign at the end of my street... What a bone-head move.
Brand new tires coupled with a little to much throttle... Rear tire just spun out from under me and boom, down we went.

Windshield popped off completely. all six fasteners snapped (As they should) and the two trim covers... Also "detached" from the bike, snapping off at the fastening point.
Brake lever... Wobbly
Brake pedal... Bent
Foot peg... Snapped right off.
Road rash on the pannier and to the outer/leading edges of the right side plastics.
On the bright side... Other than the peg, lever and pedal all damage is cosmetic.

On the brighter side...

The "Ray" in raYzerman stands for "Ray of sunshine"...

Not only did Ray donate unto me the six windshield fasteners I jokingly asked for plus a couple of spares, he gifted me a new brake lever and offered a loaner peg should I be unable to get one in time for my next big ride. He also provided free of charge some good advice on things to check for. ie the mirror stay, which i did and it seems fine.
Oh... and as a true gentleman would... He didn't even laugh at be too hard.

Thanks Ray..!

Lunch is on me.
Niehart, bungie4, Hppants and 3 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Don't be fooled. Ray does all that JUST so you are in debt to him. He will EXPECT Apple Fritters every damn time he comes over. Then he will complain about not enough cinnamon. That's just how he is...but you probably knew this already.
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:07 pm Don't be fooled....... He will EXPECT Apple Fritters every damn time he comes over.
I don't think there are enough 'fritters to make up for all the help Ray has given me.. Lol.
From trailering my bike in the middle of winter for my transmission recall to extracting a broken off sprocket bolt on a buddy's BMW... AND all the free tap-dancing lessons he gave me in the off season...

I am grateful.
wheatonFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Saturday was a drama day....
Well, not my FJR exactly, but my buddy Dean brings my old '14 over Saturday morning to prep for our upcoming western adventure. I was a little stiff and sore from working on the lawn tractor the day before. We have a little list, new rubber, check the ABS light occasionally coming on, doing a little hunting at idle, new XT GPS mount. With the talking and moving slow, I figgered 4-5 hours, but I know Dean always has another thing or two he brings up.....

Spare rear wheel already has a brang new Angel GT on it, we're swapping tars on the front wheel, go get both off.... ABS sensors look good, but the rear brake pads are getting low. Wouldn't you know it, I just lent a new set to someone here, replacements not here yet. While we got stuff apart, we cleaned up all the calipers, took front and rear pads out cleaned them up, fronts are good. We'll get new rears later, that's a quick swap.

I sent Dean out to cut the grass with the new electric lawn mower while I balanced the front wheel, snugged up the loose top box mount, replaced the broken tail/brake light LED bulb we noticed while riding up onto the lift. Yammy leaves no extra wire back there to play with, so that took a while.

We took a break for a late lunch, Dean had brought some food and he had prepped it in the oven while I was working away.... I was glad to get off my feet and took some pain meds for my sore back. I was moving slower and slower as time went on.

We determined a spot on the dash shelf to mount the XT, of course had to string the power wire, so off comes the dash plastic and battery cover, which is a PITA with the dash shelf. Oh look he says, my windshield is cracked... so off comes that.... hmm, stress cracks around the right side screws, so I drill a few holes to stop the cracks from migrating.... no explanation for cracks, had plastic screws in it, WTF. Got the GPS mounted, oh BTW, my voltmeter is intermittent.... played with that, turns out the wee switch needed attention.

Put the windshield back on, ran the ABS test, we'll see if the cleanup and test fixes it. He had mentioned the shift indicator was also intermittent, so we pulled the shift linkage off and the switch, cleaned it all up and the accumulated oil in there. Got it all buttoned back up, and had some words for the swear jar putting the dash plastic back on.

Next thing you know it's friggin' 11pm.... I back the bike off the lift and Dean does some packing up, get it outside finally and ready to go. Dean gets all dressed up and hops on...... hits the start button and there's the quick buzzing sound and no go. We had used some battery power but no way we killed it.... well, that battery is the original from 2014 and it decided it was time..... I gave him a boost with the car and charging voltage wasn't up to snuff yet as the battery wouldn't recharge fully until on the road a bit.... so I sent him home. I get a text at midnight with a battery voltage report.... well, good thing to discover some of this shit now rather than in the middle of BF Idaho.

I hit the hay as I had another FJR paying a visit next morning at 9, and I was dead...... sent him a message, don't show up until 10.

New windshield and battery ordered and will arrive shortly.... we'll have another session the weekend after SEO.
escapefjrtist, N4HHE, Full House and 8 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

The aches and pains of getting old is a real drag.

There are no paved roads to the middle of BF Idaho so to get there you will need something like this:

wheatonFJR and Hppants loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Note to self: next time I'm in BF Idaho, bring the DR. That is all....
fontanaman, Full House, and gixxerjasen loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

fontanaman wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:52 pm The aches and pains of getting old is a real drag.

There are no paved roads to the middle of BF Idaho so to get there you will need something like this:

They make trucks for hauling that much stuff :)
fontanaman, N4HHE, Cav47 and 2 others loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

If it's the same Dean... Glad to hear he's still kicking.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.