Aeroflow Juxtaposition

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Aeroflow Juxtaposition

Post by bill lumberg »

I recently did just short of a 1,000 mile day for Tour of Honor, finishing all sites in a state, in time to get home for a small whisky and a big dinner. The bike, a 2018ES with 95,000 miles (by the time I got home), performed like new. My Aeroflow extra extra tall allowed for quiet, even at FJR-nominal speeds.

The only issues were user-created. I got caught in a spattering squall at the first site, which made it difficult to keep my lens clear, and to keep my rally flag still for the required photo. To add to the challenge, my flash decided it wasn’t going to play at all, so there was a flashlight involved for illumination.

As I pulled away, I realized that I had actually been the victim of high winds and a sprinkler system that activated while I was setting up….. I never claimed to be smart…

Later, absent mindedly trying to wipe off the water/fog from the lens area of my phone, I managed to punch the phone out of the mount, on the highway, and had to spend 15 minutes searching for it on the roadside. (Point=Lifeproof).

But back to my screen. A couple of days after I got home from my TOH run, I did the 95k oil change, and thought- as many miles as I’ve run on the AeroFlow, Corp. extra extra tall, let me switch things up. I swapped on my Yamaha touring screen (an old favorite, especially for spring/summer/fall), so I could have back to back comparison.

Helmet-wise, things were much noisier, but buffeting/felt wind were similar. But damn, the wind tugging at my shoulders and my entire torso was really notable. Like I was getting patted down by an overly zealous bouncer
Just all over. Not bad, just night and day different from the xx tall.

The next day, I removed my handguards. It’s been a warm week, so I pulled them on a lark.

The first thing I noticed was more felt vibration than with the handguards. Not alarming, but, having run the storm handguards for thousands of miles, I noticed the difference. And the wind blast on my hands, in the cool mornings, made me very aware that I had selected lighter gloves in anticipation of warm afternoons.

I put the xx tall back on, and it felt almost as if I had remounted my barkbuster storms. The shield marries up with the nose of the bike so well, I found myself wondering both why I run handguards, and why I bother with earplugs.

Of course, this is in moderate weather. In true cold, and heavy crosswinds, I wouldn’t give up either. But it was interesting to try my old summer setup back to back with the Aeroflow XX Tall. And I’m still getting pretty good airflow with the shield down- which is important to me for afternoon commutes. Been in the 80’s a couple of days this week, and I’ve no complaints.

Natehawk has been whispering bad ride ideas in my ear. I hope this fu$king bike doesn’t self destruct when it hits 100k. :)

Ride safe. Spring is here.
Last edited by bill lumberg on Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
FJRPittsburgh, CollingsBob, raYzerman and 1 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
natehawk750
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR1300A, 2001 zrx1200r, 2001 XR650R

Re: Aeroflow Juxtaposition

Post by natehawk750 »

bill lumberg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:42 pm Natehawk has been whispering bad ride ideas in my ear. I hope this fu$king bike doesn’t self destruct when it hits 100k. :)
Just look at all the people who have well over 200k on theirs... it'll be fine.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

How many miles did Wendy have in her IBR’s?
natehawk750 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:26 pm
bill lumberg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:42 pm Natehawk has been whispering bad ride ideas in my ear. I hope this fu$king bike doesn’t self destruct when it hits 100k. :)
natehawk750 loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
natehawk750
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR1300A, 2001 zrx1200r, 2001 XR650R

Post by natehawk750 »

bill lumberg wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:12 am How many miles did Wendy have in her IBR’s?
Over 200k but I think she had a motor swap or rebuild at some point. I can't remember what it was exactly, but I remember it was something that was freakishly rare that cause her motor to blow.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:12 am How many miles did Wendy have in her IBR’s?
ruh-roh. :o
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I'm at 85K, Bill, and kind of on the fence.

On the one hand, I'd like to get a new FJR for a retirement present to myself. You can find plenty of '21s now, and a few '22s are starting to show up as well.

But on the other hand, a new FJR will cost $20K (including TTL). My bike is worth $6K (if I'm lucky). And I really (REALLY) like my current bike. I got it set up just the way I want it, and there's nothing wrong with it.

I'm not worried about the bike lasting to 150K and well beyond. But at some point, some kind of little nit picky crap is gonna happen. I wouldn't want it to happen 1500 miles from home.

Still contemplating....
bill lumberg loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

Hppants wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:15 pm I'm at 85K, Bill, and kind of on the fence.

On the one hand, I'd like to get a new FJR for a retirement present to myself. You can find plenty of '21s now, and a few '22s are starting to show up as well.

But on the other hand, a new FJR will cost $20K (including TTL). My bike is worth $6K (if I'm lucky). And I really (REALLY) like my current bike. I got it set up just the way I want it, and there's nothing wrong with it.

I'm not worried about the bike lasting to 150K and well beyond. But at some point, some kind of little nit picky crap is gonna happen. I wouldn't want it to happen 1500 miles from home.

Still contemplating....
Perhaps another way to look at this is....the FJR should be good for another 100k with your care and if the bike does take a sh*t while on a road trip you can easily afford to rent a uhaul truck and get it home with all the money you saved by not spending 20 large.

Then again a new bike is a new bike :lol:
CraigRegs, Cav47, bigjohnsd and 3 others loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
blind squirrel
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014

Post by blind squirrel »

Hppants wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:15 pm I'm at 85K, Bill, and kind of on the fence.

Still contemplating....
Nothing says that can't happen with a bike that has 5-10K on it either.
Hppants and bill lumberg loved this
"That feeling is your taint telling you, 'this is a bad idea...'" - extrememarine
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Not really a lot of nit picky stuff is gonna happen, and no issue with the bike going 150k and beyond..... at 100k folks have a mental block, so it won't be worth as much should you sell it, even less if you traded it in. It's a keep it or sell it point in time now..... once over 100k, that value won't change much from then on.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

raYzerman wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:47 am Not really a lot of nit picky stuff is gonna happen, and no issue with the bike going 150k and beyond..... at 100k folks have a mental block, so it won't be worth as much should you sell it, even less if you traded it in. It's a keep it or sell it point in time now..... once over 100k, that value won't change much from then on.
Therefore...it's a PERFECT IBR bike Mr. Lumberg. The question really is though, are YOU qualified?
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

I’m nowhere near qualified. Just used it as an illustration of high mileage FJR durability.

I am tough, and can ride far. But I’m not smart enough on a good day. I’d never be able to make complex plans and decisions under extreme fatigue. Those folks are about 17 levels above me. Color me a novice.
wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:07 am
raYzerman wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:47 am Not really a lot of nit picky stuff is gonna happen, and no issue with the bike going 150k and beyond..... at 100k folks have a mental block, so it won't be worth as much should you sell it, even less if you traded it in. It's a keep it or sell it point in time now..... once over 100k, that value won't change much from then on.
Therefore...it's a PERFECT IBR bike Mr. Lumberg. The question really is though, are YOU qualified?
Last edited by bill lumberg on Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:37 am I’m nowhere near qualified. Just used it as an illustration of high mileage FJR durability.

I am tough, and can ride far. But I’ll not smart enough on a good day. I’d never be able to make complex plans and decisions under extreme fatigue. Those folks are about 17 levels above me. Color me a novice.
wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:07 am

I don’t agree with your self assessment, but what do I know. I think however that you need to go to a cutdown summer screen now…and a car tire. On the front.
bill lumberg loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Bill - I also disagree with your personal assessment. You could do the IBA and over time, you'd be quite good at it because you are analytical, disciplined, and a good listener, IMNSHO three of the most important character traits needed.

Doug and Scott make excellent points regarding "do I sell or do I keep". With retirement imminent, I'll always have more time than money. Thinking about it further, even it I opt to buy a used FJR with less mileage, I'm not so sure the delta adds up. Looking at the known history of the bike, a lot of that nit-picky crap I referred to earlier that I'm concerned about is stuff that rears its head as much (if not more) with age rather than mileage and in some cases, LACK of use. The wear/tear stuff that happens from mileage (clutch, brakes, stator, forks, etc) - this stuff is pretty easy to fix and can even be planned for (in some cases). The HARD crap that I can't fix (transmission, internal engine, etc) last FOREVER on the FJR.

As you can see, I'm well into "overthinking" mode.

Sorry to jack your thread, Bill. But I think you and I are kind of in the same boat.
bill lumberg and wheatonFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

There is a 2015 FJR A model with 4,700 miles, with extras, and seems nicely cared for, for sale on Adveturerider forum for $10,750 asking price.
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

A couple of 2022’s have landed in showrooms in my area. The beast has awakened…. No bags though. I wonder when those will arrive.

I have considered keeping my 2018 and adding a super ten. This is truly an affair of the heart, or perhaps, an exercise of pure whimsy. Logic does not appear to have received an invitation to the discussion.
Steel_Gin and Hppants loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES