Another recall...

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Another recall...

Post by Hack »

In my mailbox today...

Something about reprogramming the ecu...
20 min.

Hopefully I can just make an appointment in the spring, ride in and wait for it
bill lumberg loved this
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Re: Another recall...

Post by danh600 »

Hack wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:26 pm In my mailbox today...

Something about reprogramming the ecu...
20 min.

Hopefully I can just make an appointment in the spring, ride in and wait for it
What years?
bill lumberg loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

It’s only for bikes that had the trans recall, and associated flash. No need for it, but some have complained about not being able to abuse their clutch in first and second. This re-reflash appears to be intended to decrease the restriction a little bit. Bulletin M2021-010R.

You’d never encounter the (trans recall reflash) restriction in normal use, no matter how spirited your riding. There is no change to the rpm limit with the clutch pulled in or with the clutch lever out.

It is only when you rev high and barely let the clutch out (on first or second gear) that the limiter kicks in. It’s not anything that limits speed or acceleration if you’re doing it correctly. The bike still revs to redline with the clutch in or clutch out. I’m surprised they’re changing it. I don’t think Yamaha anticipated that there were riders out there for whom hammering the throttle and barely feathering the clutch was a go-to riding style. Big Daddy Don Garlitz would be proud..

That said- folks that rode in a manner that caused them to trigger the new limit had a right to be frustrated- they wanted a bike that felt like it did before the recall.
Last edited by bill lumberg on Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
escapefjrtist, wheatonFJR, and danh600 loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

I'm still waiting on the dealer to recover from the employment situation to perform my trans-ectomy.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I've read all the "complaints" about the reflash that was part of the tranny recall... the new reflash will "improve" what's being complained about.....
I have another answer.... it all depends on that clutch switch to know if it's in or out..... one could disable the clutch switch, but that has consequences... no more 100 rpm idle increase (hill assist) at takeoff, no more disengaging cruise with the clutch switch, and no more starting while in gear (e.g., if you happened to stall it).
I'd still like to ride one to understand it more but Hack thinks I drink too much coffee and comes over in his car.......
bigjohnsd, CollingsBob, and El Toro Joe loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

raYzerman wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:01 am I'd still like to ride one to understand it more but Hack thinks I drink too much coffee and comes over in his car.......
I'm afraid if we let you back on an FJR... I'll never see it again... You'll ride off over the horizon and disappear :D
CollingsBob and raYzerman loved this
RacinRay
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES 2011 Triumph Speed Triple

Post by RacinRay »

:finger:
bill lumberg wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:29 am It’s only for bikes that had the trans recall, and associated flash. No need for it, but some have complained about not being able to abuse their clutch in first and second. This re-reflash appears to be intended to decrease the restriction a little bit. Bulletin M2021-010R.

You’d never encounter the (trans recall reflash) restriction in normal use, no matter how spirited your riding. There is no change to the rpm limit with the clutch pulled in or with the clutch lever out.

It is only when you rev high and barely let the clutch out (on first or second gear) that the limiter kicks in. It’s not anything that limits speed or acceleration if you’re doing it correctly. The bike still revs to redline with the clutch in or clutch out. I’m surprised they’re changing it. I don’t think Yamaha anticipated that there were riders out there for whom hammering the throttle and barely feathering the clutch was a go-to riding style. Big Daddy Don Garlitz would be proud..

That said- folks that rode in a manner that caused them to trigger the new limit had a right to be frustrated- they wanted a bike that felt like it did before the recall.
Well, apparently there were enough owners who disagreed with you to get Yamaha to correct their error. I for one, immediately noticed the issue with the rev limiter and am glad they are fixing it.
bill lumberg loved this
The dildo of consequences never arrives lubed.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

:D
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Got my ECU reflash recall letter today.

Still waiting on the dealer to get a 2nd mechanic so he can afford to take on 14-18 hour jobs such my a transmission transplant.
wheatonFJR loved this
Travlr_45
Squid
FJRModel: 2019

Post by Travlr_45 »

I had this recall preformed yesterday, so far as I can tell there’s no difference in performance. I will add this, should these recalls persist this fjr will magically transform into a ninja 1000. With yamahas technology and experience in building motorsports I don’t see any excuse for for it. Just my .02
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

I rode 2,100 km to a dealer in Hamilton to get the first two, necessary recalls done because neither of the dealers in Winnipeg would do the work. I’ll skip this recall.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I'd get the latest reflash recall if it were me.... raises the first rev limiter in the lower gears (was ~3500 rpm) to 6000 rpm. That should make all those who complained happier.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Canadian FJR
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018 FJR-1300ES, 2010 Ural Gear Up, 2003
Yamaha FJR-1300, 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650 (Gone to a new home), 1997 Suzuki TL-1000s (Gone but not forgotten), 1976 Honda 400 Four, 1968 Honda C-50 Step-thru

Post by Canadian FJR »

No letter yet ??

Canadian FJR
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Travlr_45 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:19 am With yamahas technology and experience in building motorsports I don’t see any excuse for for it. Just my .02
There's a good reason you don't screw with things that work. Yamaha seemed to forget that.
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Festus wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:10 pm There's a good reason you don't screw with things that work. Yamaha seemed to forget that.
Of course there is. It's the whiney ones

"We want a 6th gear." "We want a turn signal canceler." "We want LED lights." etc.
Bust and wheatonFJR loved this
mcatrophy
FJRModel: 2018 FJR1300AS

Post by mcatrophy »

rbentnail wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:26 pm ... "We want LED lights." ...
That one for me was very worthwhile.

Test of LED lights against garage door, dipped and main:
(Click on image for larger view)
Image Image

They enabled me to ride an unknown, narrow, unlit, winding country road in pitch darkness at near-enough daylight speeds.

One of the few occasions when I've been positively frightened when riding was on a previous FJR with incandescent lights. It was under similar road conditions, crawling at 30, unable to see where the road edges were, with trees, rocks, ditches, peat bogs, rock faces, a river and/or drops awaiting any off-tarmac excursions.

Image of a typical section of this road (courtesy of Google Maps):
wheatonFJR loved this
mcatrophy
2018 FJR1300AS - AE in the USA, if only they could have one :o .
2014 FJR1300AS 2010 FJR1300AS 2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonnevill '55 Tiger Cub
ImageMy web site
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

mcatrophy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:44 am Image
You're right. Those lights are awesome. That looks positively like daylight!

:mrgreen:
Travlr_45, FJRPittsburgh, Bust and 3 others loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Travlr_45
Squid
FJRModel: 2019

Post by Travlr_45 »

Have mine scheduled for it’s 26.5K valve inspection next week. Not taking any chances with Yamaha arguing over a warranty issue, especially in lieu of the 2nd gear recall issue as well as the extended warranty I have. On this particular machine it’s gonna go by the book.
Dirty Brown Dog loved this
FjrjrF
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2014 - red eyed viper !

Post by FjrjrF »

Bill, you might consider this flash update, but, if your not having issues then let it alone. I tend to wonder if they found a bug in the software loader software or in the ecu not getting fully erased before the re-program. I only think that because some out there had horrible performance after the reprogramming, and with no recourse, and a majority reprogramming didn't have any issues afterwards. Just my .02 I have the 'too-fast for me' red, so this doesn't affect me, just a consideration.
bill lumberg wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:29 am It’s only for bikes that had the trans recall, and associated flash. No need for it, but some have complained about not being able to abuse their clutch in first and second. This re-reflash appears to be intended to decrease the restriction a little bit. Bulletin M2021-010R.
Jim
2014 Gen 3
Bugs
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2018A

Post by Bugs »

I apparently dipped into the 2nd-gear-recall rev-limiter a few days ago on my '18 FJR.

I rode up to the corner of the 4-lane highway fronting my subdivision, preparing to turn right. I looked left and saw that the traffic light about 100 yards away had just turned green, releasing a long line of cars in my direction. Wanting to get out ahead of the crowd, I put the spurs to it. It seems I reverted to habits ingrained from a decade of riding a Yamaha R6, where a quick launch requires high revs and a briefly slipping clutch to avoid bogging the engine.

On the FJR, this technique launched me only the first few feet, where the engine lost power and left me accelerating - very slowly - directly in the path of quickly approaching traffic. I let the clutch fully release, pinned the throttle and was off like a shot. For a few moments there, it had been alarming, but with the proper skill (finally) applied, it all worked out. I love low-end torque!
LKLD loved this
The fact that there's a Highway to Hell and only a Stairway to Heaven should tell you something about anticipated traffic.
Straight roads are for fast bikes. Turns are for fast riders.