What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by bill lumberg »

Amazon decided to substitute a gallon of 20w50 for the 10w40 that I ordered. So it is my duty to put enough miles on to get to the next oil change before it turns cold.

It’s a tough job, but someone has to do it. Tomorrow, my Indy shop is replacing the exhaust hanger bracket that somehow got got ripped open from road debris this summer. Looking at the brute force damage, it’s a wonder that me or the bike didn’t suffer debilitating damage. Didn’t even find this damage until long after the incident.
fontanaman, Hppants, and wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

1911 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:47 pm Started replacing the steering head bearings with the All Balls tapered roller bearing kit.

I'm not real crazy about the seal set-up on these. Anybody else used these?
Yeah, it is funky. But other motorcycle manufacturers use the same style seals as original equipment.

I cut a slit in my lower race with a grinder then broke through with a chisel. The old race upside down made a perfect driver to install the new tapered bearing.

Bugnatr, Hppants, and wheatonFJR loved this
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Engine oil & filter change today. A little early per mileage schedule but I felt I really abused it a couple weekends ago by running 2nd and 3rd gears at unusually high (for me) rpm. I shouldn't have bothered, drain-out wasn't even black yet. Mobil1 10w-40 4T racing. Damn good stuff!
Toter loved this
N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

Flushed brake fluid on KTM yesterday and when I had a fresh open bottle of DOT4 decided to do the FJR. Clutch went without incident. Front brake circuits. Then found I had lost one reservoir screw from the front brake. Had placed the screws on the gas cap then covered the tank with a towel. Screw not to be found. Didn't do the rear brakes.

Later when logging the maintenance noticed I had previously flushed the clutch and brakes last October. Thought the fluid looked awfully good to be 2-3 years old, the last time I remembered flushing brakes.

Lowes had a 12 pack of M4-0.7x16 for under $2. Shiny, not black like the one I lost, so I might ride today but for the rain.
Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

N4HHE wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:56 am Flushed brake fluid on KTM yesterday and when I had a fresh open bottle of DOT4 decided to do the FJR. Clutch went without incident. Front brake circuits. Then found I had lost one reservoir screw from the front brake. Had placed the screws on the gas cap then covered the tank with a towel. Screw not to be found. Didn't do the rear brakes.

Later when logging the maintenance noticed I had previously flushed the clutch and brakes last October. Thought the fluid looked awfully good to be 2-3 years old, the last time I remembered flushing brakes.

Lowes had a 12 pack of M4-0.7x16 for under $2. Shiny, not black like the one I lost, so I might ride today but for the rain.
You do realize two of the right front caliper pistons are operated by the rear brake and still contain old fluid, right? The ABS unit also still contains old fluid unless you operated front and rear ABS via the jumper and FSM procedure. Any time I have to work with brake fluid, I make sure to do 100% of the job as the fluid is useless afterwards. No shelf life. Also, never use just a towel on the gas tank. Always put a garbage bag down, then a towel. I prefer a fender cover. No chance of paint damage. Brake fluid is nasty shite.
bill lumberg, D-Eagle, and wheatonFJR loved this
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

Put the new Angel GT A-spec on the rear. 4,700 miles and the previous one was below wear bars on the right and left and just at the wear bars in the center. Renee is looking forward to SFO. Turk sure knows how to throw a party!

Anyone going to the Vintage weekend at Barber Motorsports Park this weekend?
bill lumberg loved this
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

Toter wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:28 pm
N4HHE wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:56 am Flushed brake fluid on KTM yesterday and when I had a fresh open bottle of DOT4 decided to do the FJR. Clutch went without incident. Front brake circuits. Then found I had lost one reservoir screw from the front brake. Had placed the screws on the gas cap then covered the tank with a towel. Screw not to be found. Didn't do the rear brakes.

You do realize two of the right front caliper pistons are operated by the rear brake and still contain old fluid, right?
Yes, that is why I said front brake circuits.
The ABS unit also still contains old fluid unless you operated front and rear ABS via the jumper and FSM procedure.
Meh. It was done last year.
Any time I have to work with brake fluid, I make sure to do 100% of the job as the fluid is useless afterwards. No shelf life.
Bah humbug. Its good for another few months.
Also, never use just a towel on the gas tank. Always put a garbage bag down, then a towel. I prefer a fender cover. No chance of paint damage. Brake fluid is nasty shite.
Paint is fine even if I got some on the towel.

Keep an open bottle of rubbing alcohol within arm's length when working on brake fluid. Brake fluid is an alcohol so rubbing alcohol mixes and seems to to a good job of cutting and neutralizing brake fluid.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran

Post by rbentnail »

Replaced the front tire with my tire of choice. Still only $30 when I take the wheel and the replacement tire to my local Honda dealer. No appt necessary.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

N4HHE wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:19 pm
Paint is fine even if I got some on the towel.

Keep an open bottle of rubbing alcohol within arm's length when working on brake fluid. Brake fluid is an alcohol so rubbing alcohol mixes and seems to to a good job of cutting and neutralizing brake fluid.
Brake fluid is miscible with water. Rinse with water and wipe with a damp cloth is all that is needed if you drip some on a painted surface. Rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol would work but isn't necessary. (Don't think I would use methyl (wood) alcohol/methyl hydrate.) I have no idea how quickly DOT4 would damage modern paint/clear coat finishes. It certainly isn't instant. After doing hydraulic fluid flush, I usually hose the bike down "just in case..." I missed a drip. I do throw a towel over the tank when I am working with open reservoirs but as much to protect the paint from me dropping something (wrench, screwdriver, reservoir cover) on it as from DOT4.

I also keep half full bottles of brake fluid rather than throw them out - not an issue as long as they are tightly covered. Probably wouldn't keep one for a couple of years but even that shouldn't be a problem. Seal well and store in a cool dry place. This goes against conventional advice but I don't see how water could get into a properly sealed container.

I have to say I don't bother with using a jumper to activate the ABS when doing a brake flush. I do make a point of deliberately "using" the ABS from time-to-time when I am riding just to make sure that it is still working OK - maybe once per month. I'm sure that flushes the systems adequately. Never had a brake system issue with almost 300,000 miles on two Gen II FJRs.
danh600 and N4HHE loved this
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

Ok yesterday actually dropped her off at the dealer. Decided to bite the bullet and have them do the work. After my health issues working in the driveway (no garage) is just not working for me so soon she'll have new shoes with Hawk's Head metal T stems and rebuilt forks with upgraded traxxion Spring kit. :D
fontanaman, gixxerjasen, and wheatonFJR loved this
Pappy 09AE
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Finally got the oil changed after my trip. I had a hard time finding Mobil 1 Racing 4T of which I found 2 quarts at the local Wally World and then nothing anywhere. Finally got some shipped to me from Wally World but last weekend was the MotoGP race so it had to wait till this weekend. She's all ready for the impending cooler weather to settle in. I feel a motorcycle camping weekend coming up.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Filled it with non ethanol fuel and went for a short ride. Riding season is nearly over in Spokane Washington.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Took a 100 mile jaunt through the back country early this morning. The light was pretty good and I went photo-calendar hunting. Pickings were slim, but I got a couple decent shots.

So I've got 4 pictures to choose 2 from. Decisions decisions.....
extrememarine and N4HHE loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

mcatrophy
FJRModel: 2018 FJR1300AS

Post by mcatrophy »

Hppants wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:32 am Took a 100 mile jaunt through the back country early this morning. The light was pretty good and I went photo-calendar hunting. Pickings were slim, but I got a couple decent shots.

So I've got 4 pictures to choose 2 from. Decisions decisions.....
Post them, we'll take a vote.
fontanaman loved this
mcatrophy
2018 FJR1300AS - AE in the USA, if only they could have one :o .
2014 FJR1300AS 2010 FJR1300AS 2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonnevill '55 Tiger Cub
ImageMy web site
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran

Post by rbentnail »

gixxerjasen wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:45 pm Finally got the oil changed after my trip. I had a hard time finding Mobil 1 Racing 4T of which I found 2 quarts at the local Wally World and then nothing anywhere. Finally got some shipped to me from Wally World but last weekend was the MotoGP race so it had to wait till this weekend. She's all ready for the impending cooler weather to settle in. I feel a motorcycle camping weekend coming up.
Usually the only place I can find it is at Auto Zone.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

rbentnail wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:57 pm
gixxerjasen wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:45 pm Finally got the oil changed after my trip. I had a hard time finding Mobil 1 Racing 4T of which I found 2 quarts at the local Wally World and then nothing anywhere. Finally got some shipped to me from Wally World but last weekend was the MotoGP race so it had to wait till this weekend. She's all ready for the impending cooler weather to settle in. I feel a motorcycle camping weekend coming up.
I'll remember that, I don't recall them having motorcycle oil there but I also haven't checked in a really long time.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran

Post by rbentnail »

gixxerjasen wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:47 pm
rbentnail wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:57 pm
I'll remember that, I don't recall them having motorcycle oil there but I also haven't checked in a really long time.
Our stores here have it off in the corner away from the auto oils and usually have a couple different weights and brands. I've moved into the 20th century by going online to check store stock before driving over.
gixxerjasen loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Left it at the office. I’ll be in my work car until the end of the month. It’s a terrible hardship. I am going to have to make up for it by riding to Key West in November.
Hppants, wheatonFJR, N4HHE and 1 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

Got closer to clearing out the garage so I can put it back together again. 'Bout half way done after 2 weeks. I think it will get slower the deeper I dig as the first half was sort-and-toss. Now if it's not tossed a bunch need to go with previous stuff so that has to get dragged out...
Last edited by Bounce on Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

bill lumberg wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:52 am Left it at the office. I’ll be in my work car until the end of the month. It’s a terrible hardship. I am going to have to make up for it by riding to Key West in November.
You gonna uber some folks around in the back seat?
Cav47, wheatonFJR, and bill lumberg loved this
My Blog