Rifle Gen 3 Fairing Info

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: Rifle Gen 3 Fairing Info

Post by raYzerman »

Naw.... easier than Gen1 or 2 IMHO. Can use original screw locations, maybe he means curving it or sculpting the edges.....
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: Gen2, Superior 2006, Gen 3 2013 twice as good!

Post by dcarver »

raYzerman wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:20 pm Naw.... easier than Gen1 or 2 IMHO. Can use original screw locations, maybe he means curving it or sculpting the edges.....
Me thinks it's more of wind management challenge... He's wanting to not use tuning blocks, but the fairing is too close to rider as is.. or something like that... LOL.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Shimming just the top mount 3/8" on my Gen 3 solved my problem. When sceen was all of the way up it was quite quiet and peaceful, when all the way down I had good flow over-the helmet and through my head vent.
There are so many factors that affect rider comfort due to airflow:

Every ass is different
Every neck is different
Every seat is different
Bar adjustment/Risers change your head position both vertically and longitudinally

Height of screen, angle of screen, mirror position all affect wind noise and turbulence.
rbentnail and SkooterG loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran

Post by dcarver »

bigjohnsd wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:58 pm Shimming just the top mount 3/8" on my Gen 3 solved my problem. When sceen was all of the way up it was quite quiet and peaceful, when all the way down I had good flow over-the helmet and through my head vent.
There are so many factors that affect rider comfort due to airflow:

Every ass is different
Every neck is different
Every seat is different
Bar adjustment/Risers change your head position both vertically and longitudinally

Height of screen, angle of screen, mirror position all affect wind noise and turbulence.
Good points. Suspension too.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran

Post by dcarver »

OK then, a lot work on the Gen3 Rifle windscreen lately.

Apologies for cross link but cut and paste from there to here doesn't work..

https://candybuttorg.ipage.com/cba/node/1074
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Don, I have experimented just as you did, similar in height to you, I used the V-Stream 20308, ended up with the taller 20309. I simply stacked 1/8" washers under the windshield mounting bracket, ended up pretty much same as you. I could have done more experiments, but sold the bike.

One thing of note, it won't work with the Gen3 dash shelf, it hits the shelf, so overall you have to shim everything even more, top and bottom. What we ended up doing is simply shim both top and bottom by 1/2" in that case, could not tilt it back to clear the shelf. There is an advantage of getting more air under the shield.

I agree with the direction to shim that bracket, as it retains the stock windscreen mounting holes/well nuts, plus retains using the original painted trim. Advantage there is you can use that with any windshield. Gen2 was a unique windshield from Rifle and used it's unique mounting onto the tuning blocks (due to the angle the mechanism had). I had that Rifle barn door on my '07, it was a little big for hot weather, but I did run it all year round.

So essentially, Rifle's direction is likely going to be wedges?, with more taper/tilt as you are finding. Now go a little thicker to get more air under the windshield? One other option, using a shorter V-Stream, Touring Shield, etc. is to just shim the whole darn thing up by the same amount.

Much of this has been done before, and where I got my original idea....... perhaps this may help?

https://www.fjrforum.com/topic/163310-3 ... 1629829798
https://www.fjrforum.com/topic/171950-v ... s-gen-lll/
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.