What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by fontanaman »

Nothing yet but in a half hour I am going to Rattlesnake Grade to continue destroying the Shinkos and checkout the nice green scenery while enjoying a sandwich.

My wife's shoulder surgery went well but multi day trips are out for a while.
escapefjrtist, Hppants, and wheatonFJR loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Going to Rattlesnake Grade did not work out today. I arrived at the Spiral Hwy Overlook above Lewiston to see my destination shrouded in clouds. This photo is over exposed so the dark clouds on the horizon don't show up well.

In the photo above the Snake River is running up while the Clearwater River is going from left to right. You can see the Spiral Hwy and it is like this for about 7 miles.

I stop for lunch at a Jimmy John's in Lewiston cause they are freaky fast and to figure out plan B. I whip out my trusty motorcycle map because I am too old to remember all this stuff and find a good route back home.

I headed west on Hwy 12 to the Kirby Mayview Road to the Snake River. I love the skies around here.

Some nice asphalt in a with some twisties dead ahead.

Granite Dam along the Snake River with spring run off.

It is remote out here so I rode in the oncoming lane to take this photo of where I had been. You can see the river bottom center.

Drained the oil when I got home. Shop who did the tranny repair over tightened the drain plug, the lower fairing fastener and the oil filter. Good grief.
FastPappy, Niehart, Blueridgerider and 5 others loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Kinda sorta for the FJR. It's things I did to FJR accessories really. I'm preparing for a super boring trip so I decided that to go along with my fancy new GPS and my fairly new spotify account, I'd maybe have some tunes for the really boring stretches. Now maybe Spawn won't think I'm such a weirdo for riding cross country in the silence of my helmet. Nah, I'm pretty sure she'll still think I'm a weirdo.

First up I ordered some Sure SE215's

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C7JB2R1?ps ... ct_details

Then I went and dug my old Sena SMH10 out of the depths of the closet. I have the base that lets you plug in your own earphones. The battery is seriously old and I'm sure lying dormant in the closet for several years hasn't done any good, so I did some research and nabbed this off Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SHYB1YG?ps ... ct_details

Super nice, most of the videos I could find had you swapping connectors from the old battery onto the new one but the battery I found on Amazon had the right connector so it was plug and play. The bonus is that I upgraded the aging 560mAh battery for a matching 700mAh battery. It's charging right now.

Also ordered some new fuzzies for the microphone since the old one was rotting off.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPGHJZS?ps ... ct_details

That should do it, entertainment for the most boring stretches of road taken care of.
Niehart, Uncle Hud, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Ride it in a monsoon, with a side dish of roadway flooding, for the second day in a row. Makes me realize how long it’s been since I rode very far in rain that heavy.
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

gixxerjasen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:13 pm ....I'd maybe have some tunes for the really boring stretches. Now maybe Spawn won't think I'm such a weirdo for riding cross country in the silence of my helmet. Nah, I'm pretty sure she'll still think I'm a weirdo.
Yep! 😁

Hope the Sena upgrades work out well. Tell us how the earphones work out.

I loaded XM's app to my cellphone and yesterday for the first time listened to XM. Worked pretty well. More testing is needed.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Jasen - I tried my Shure 215s on the Sena 20. Crapola. The amplifier for the SENA was horrible. It must be designed for only the "voice" frequencies.

I hope you have better results.
N4HHE and natehawk750 loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

gixxerjasen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:13 pm ..Then I went and dug my old Sena SMH10 out of the depths of the closet. I have the base that lets you plug in your own earphones. The battery is seriously old and I'm sure lying dormant in the closet for several years hasn't done any good, so I did some research and nabbed this off Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SHYB1YG?ps ... ct_details

Super nice, most of the videos I could find had you swapping connectors from the old battery onto the new one but the battery I found on Amazon had the right connector so it was plug and play. The bonus is that I upgraded the aging 560mAh battery for a matching 700mAh battery. It's charging right now.
So...you bought some batteries from:
shenzhenshihuixinjunengkejiyouxiangongshi

hmmm.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Hppants wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:14 pm Jasen - I tried my Shure 215s on the Sena 20. Crapola. The amplifier for the SENA was horrible. It must be designed for only the "voice" frequencies.

I figure it'll be better than nothing. I was about to pull the trigger on one of the FIIO bluetooth devices when I remembered my SM10. I listened to music with it and the crap Sena speakers for a while including my SS1K, but never liked the output of the speakers. I bought the base that lets me listen to normal earphones but right after pretty much stopped listening to music while riding altogether. Then I got a new helmet and didn't bother moving the Sena over at all.

If I don't like it, I'll get the FIIO. I don't ever really ride with anyone so the comms part is mostly wasted on me anyway.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Hppants wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:14 pm Jasen - I tried my Shure 215s on the Sena 20. Crapola. The amplifier for the SENA was horrible. It must be designed for only the "voice" frequencies.

Pants: Make sure your music source is paired via the A2DP connection -- it's designed for HiFi audio. The HFP connection (Hands Free Phone) is designed only for LowFi voice. Smartphones can work with either connection. When you get it paired that way, the Sena lady will say, "Media connected," instead of "Phone connected."

BigJohn mentioned this years ago, and I was only able to make it happen through trial and error. Hope you have better luck!

from the Sena 20S manual:

6.1 A2DP Stereo Music Only
1. Turn on the headset and press the Phone Button for 5 seconds until the LED flashes red and blue alternately and you hear multiple beeps.
2. Within 2 seconds, tap the Jog Dial again, then the LED turns to red flashing and the beeps turn to double mid-tone beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Media selective pairing”.
3. Search for Bluetooth devices on your smartphone. Select the Sena 20S in the list of devices detected on your phone.
4. Enter 0000 for the PIN. Some smartphones may not ask for PIN.
Hppants, Bugnatr, fontanaman and 3 others loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

Aired up the tires in anticipation of SEO (shocker, they were fine).

Bought Canadian Whiskey in anticipation of SEO (shocker, it was cheap).
wheatonFJR loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Uncle Hud wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:41 am

Pants: Make sure your music source is paired via the A2DP connection -- it's designed for HiFi audio. The HFP connection (Hands Free Phone) is designed only for LowFi voice. Smartphones can work with either connection. When you get it paired that way, the Sena lady will say, "Media connected," instead of "Phone connected."

BigJohn mentioned this years ago, and I was only able to make it happen through trial and error. Hope you have better luck!

from the Sena 20S manual:

6.1 A2DP Stereo Music Only
1. Turn on the headset and press the Phone Button for 5 seconds until the LED flashes red and blue alternately and you hear multiple beeps.
2. Within 2 seconds, tap the Jog Dial again, then the LED turns to red flashing and the beeps turn to double mid-tone beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Media selective pairing”.
3. Search for Bluetooth devices on your smartphone. Select the Sena 20S in the list of devices detected on your phone.
4. Enter 0000 for the PIN. Some smartphones may not ask for PIN.
Ok, so this is interesting, the SMH10 also supports this. However, I'll need to go through some instructions on it because adding the GPS in the middle seems to complicate matters. I'll be looking into and trying this out this weekend. Thanks for pointing this out.
Angus_McL and wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

My 20s says Media Connected when paired the Garmin 590. Here is the directions.

Mobile Phone and GPS Pairing Configuration #4

This configuration allows you to make phone calls, answer phone calls, and listen to GPS directions. Furthermore, GPS pairing will allow you have an intercom conversation while being able to hear the GPS directions without being interrupted by the audio from the GPS.
*Note: The audio that is not GPS related such as music will be in mono and not stereo.
Here are the steps for Configuration #4:
1. Pair your mobile phone to the GPS directly.
2. Pair your GPS to the 20S using the GPS Pairing method. On the 20S, hold down the Jog Dial for 6 seconds until you hear the voice prompt say “intercom pairing” and you see the LED flash red rapidly then within two seconds press the phone button to hear the voice prompt say “second mobile phone pairing” and you see the LED flash blue rapidly then press the phone button once more within two seconds to hear the voice prompt say “GPS pairing” and you see the LED flash green rapidly.
3. While the 20S is in GPS Pairing mode, scan for the Sena 20S in the list of Bluetooth devices on your GPS and when it appears select it to pair the two devices together.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

That's pretty much what I've done already. Seems there's another way to do it with the A2DP audio though that complicates things.

This isn't sounding good for that, from the Sena user manual.

"This instruction is for advanced users who want to pair the SMH10 to their smartphones only with one selective profile: A2DP stereo for music OR HFP for phone call."

That "OR" is what kills it I think, since I intend to listen to music and take phone calls. Anyway, I'm no audiophile and it already sounds good enough for background music while riding I-10 across Florida. I'm going to just leave well enough alone.
My Blog

Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

gixxerjasen wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:42 pm riding I-10 across Florida.
Sounds like I-40 in west Texas only flatter? :shock:
bungie4 loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Music sounds horrible on my Cardo when it is routed from iPhone to Zumo 595 to Cardo. It isn’t so much bandwidth limited as the volume has to be reduced to 80% to eliminate digital flat topping/limiting.

No problem when the Zumo is not allowed to connect to Cardo. iPhone connects direct.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Bugnatr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:03 am
gixxerjasen wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:42 pm riding I-10 across Florida.
Sounds like I-40 in west Texas only flatter? :shock:
At least in Texas there are the Mesas to look at. Florida is just a long wall of Kudzu lined trees. And in Texas you expect it to go on forever, Florida seems to go on for twice what you thought it should. Also, when you get through Texas, you have New Mexico and Colorado mountains to look forward to so it's worth it. In Florida it's just more flat stuff and oppressive humidity at the end of the road.
fontanaman and Bugnatr loved this
My Blog

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Yesterday I road on some of my favorite mountain roads in NE Washington. They were all free of sand and smooth sailing meaning I could wick it up a bit.

A few photos.

Choices choices.

I wasn't heading this direction, I came from the road on the left a most excellent back road I travel frequently. Josh was here!

Same photo just cropped up. It just looks inviting, no?

The Columbia River.

Read an article ranking road maintenance by state. Washington State ranking 44/50. This photo sums it up. It went on for miles. I was surprised the seam was very well done.

Niehart, Blueridgerider, Cav47 and 4 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Started weekend prep for the trip up to the Ramble.
D-Eagle loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Thanks for the info, Hud. I returned the SENA after trying it and being so disappointed. But my "wired" days are numbered - I know it. Next try will hopefully yield different results.

350 miles yesterday on the FJR with a buddy. Weather was great - a late season puff of north wind, lucky for us. Decent BBQ brisket sandwich, FJR ran like a red spotted ape.

Life is good, stay thirsty, my friends....
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

N4HHE wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:07 am Music sounds horrible on my Cardo when it is routed from iPhone to Zumo 595 to Cardo. It isn’t so much bandwidth limited as the volume has to be reduced to 80% to eliminate digital flat topping/limiting.

No problem when the Zumo is not allowed to connect to Cardo. iPhone connects direct.
I agree, I pair my Android phone as a Phone and Media player then pair my GPS as a GPS - music works well, intercom works well, GPS works well. If you can survive without using your GPS as your phone controller this is the best solution. As Cardo enables voice control of the phone it works for me.
Niehart and N4HHE loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!