Considering update to Backyard subforum guidelines

Forum Guidelines and Information, Status, etc.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Considering update to Backyard subforum guidelines

Post by extrememarine »

There has been a steady increase of instances where posts and topics devolve into what I consider personal attacks in one form or other. Whether its a direct quote along the lines of "your an idiot" or something less direct like "if some whiny B&%#$ reports my post" - it's all going down that same path towards one of the very few things I've stated (numerous times) I consider unacceptable.

I've gotten PM's and report messages - which is helpful because I don't sit with my eye's glued to the forum every second of every day. Neither does Designflaw06. Some have asked me why I don't put the few offending individuals in "time out". That's a great question. Do I need to go through the process of banning someone for a set number of days? The answer to that seems to be that it might help the overall health of the forum. That process is not as simple as some may believe - there is not plugin or extension that allows me to just restrict someone's access for a set number of days. I'd have to PM them, email them to inform them, they'd want to argue about it, I'd disable their account (which means they'd not be able to read the PM) and then screen any new user account requests to ensure that the individual in time out is not trying to circumnavigate the action by creating a new account. Sounds like something all of you would like to do every evening (babysit adults) instead of "insert any personal related activity such as family movie night, yard work, car maintenance, read a book, etc.", Right?

The backyard subforum was established as a place to take all the off topic and sensitive topics that may generate passionate conversation. What I see more often is members either directly or indirectly going after other members because they disagree with their opinions; disagreements are part of live, but calling someone names, questioning their sanity or manhood, etc. take that conversation in a direction that is clearly - and back to my opening statement - one of the few things I've stated over and over that I will not tolerate.

Decision time. If you're an individual who just can't resist to poke someone in the eye over a topic or comment, then go do it elsewhere. Use Google, find a forum or social media outlet that facilitates political and emotionally charged discussion, join that website, and have a ball. I'm looking for some feedback here that boils down to this: why not just remove the option to discuss politics or anything related to it here?

Did you take a ride on your motorcycle, or do something neat with a friend? Stop back and share the great news. Let's keep this website and group of friends in a place where we're all happy to be here and making positive contributions.

The alternative to that is rather dark. It means an investment in time and energy that is not warranted or desired. It would be easier to just flip switch and shut out the lights. Is that really what anybody wants?

Wayne
BikerGeek, Uncle Hud, Pterodactyl and 8 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Re: Considering update to Backyard subforum guidelines

Post by Hppants »

1. I'm glad that I don't have to be an Admin on a forum.

2. I'm significantly happier that you do it, Wayne and Tim, with your level headiness, and your tolerant and respectful demeaner.

3. Being a member of several boards of this type, i can state confidently that this board is different. We are friends - most of us very good friends. We see each other regularly, we know each other's families.... it's different. You and Tim are not immune from this phenomenon. It's much harder to "police" your friends - I get it.

4. FWIW - your concern is most assuredly not isolated. In my relatively recent 1/2 century of existence on this earth, I can find no time more so than now when reasonable, intelligent, and even well-meaning adults simply cannot.... and will not agree to disagree. Heck, it's happening at times in my own household. Changing this behavior imminently in any discourse seems quite challenging.

5. The bottom line in my not so humble opinion: I do know what I signed up for here, and it was NOT a democracy nor a republic. It it a dictatorship and I happily agreed to your terms and will continue to do so. I may be accused of being "pro-censure", but at least in my mind, that is NOT what you are proposing. I would support banning political discussion, in the interest of the greater good.

I don't want to lose the privilege' of communicating with my friends here.
Tyler, DesignFlaw06, bill lumberg and 4 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

Wayne..I admire the manner in which you moderate - I am not capable of the restraint that you show.
I agree..The discussions in Backyard are far too often divisive.
Ogopogo, Cav47, and extrememarine loved this
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

extrememarine wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:51 am There has been a steady increase of instances where posts and topics devolve into what I consider personal attacks in one form or other. Whether its a direct quote along the lines of "your an idiot" or something less direct like "if some whiny B&%#$ reports my post" - it's all going down that same path towards one of the very few things I've stated (numerous times) I consider unacceptable.

I've gotten PM's and report messages - which is helpful because I don't sit with my eye's glued to the forum every second of every day. Neither does Designflaw06. Some have asked me why I don't put the few offending individuals in "time out". That's a great question. Do I need to go through the process of banning someone for a set number of days? The answer to that seems to be that it might help the overall health of the forum. That process is not as simple as some may believe - there is not plugin or extension that allows me to just restrict someone's access for a set number of days. I'd have to PM them, email them to inform them, they'd want to argue about it, I'd disable their account (which means they'd not be able to read the PM) and then screen any new user account requests to ensure that the individual in time out is not trying to circumnavigate the action by creating a new account. Sounds like something all of you would like to do every evening (babysit adults) instead of "insert any personal related activity such as family movie night, yard work, car maintenance, read a book, etc.", Right?

The backyard subforum was established as a place to take all the off topic and sensitive topics that may generate passionate conversation. What I see more often is members either directly or indirectly going after other members because they disagree with their opinions; disagreements are part of live, but calling someone names, questioning their sanity or manhood, etc. take that conversation in a direction that is clearly - and back to my opening statement - one of the few things I've stated over and over that I will not tolerate.

Decision time. If you're an individual who just can't resist to poke someone in the eye over a topic or comment, then go do it elsewhere. Use Google, find a forum or social media outlet that facilitates political and emotionally charged discussion, join that website, and have a ball. I'm looking for some feedback here that boils down to this: why not just remove the option to discuss politics or anything related to it here?

Did you take a ride on your motorcycle, or do something neat with a friend? Stop back and share the great news. Let's keep this website and group of friends in a place where we're all happy to be here and making positive contributions.

The alternative to that is rather dark. It means an investment in time and energy that is not warranted or desired. It would be easier to just flip switch and shut out the lights. Is that really what anybody wants?

Wayne
Completely understand. Without moderation, a forum fails. It's not an easy task. There are those who will argue even when quoted the pre-existing rules. Some of those will enlist like-minded trouble makers who will join in concerted efforts to get suspended them complain about it elsewhere (leaving out critical info about how many chances they were given before getting a time out). Some will even proclaim a suspension as a ban.

Don't worry though. With enough motivation, they'll leave and start their own forum.
DesignFlaw06, Bust, Auburn and 1 others loved this
Bust
Veteran
FJRModel: 68' Schwinn Stingray

Post by Bust »

Personally when shit like that happens it's really just a "my dick is bigger than yours" argument. Just have everyone submit a picture of their log to Jwilly or Marty and have them figure it out.
Bugnatr, Uncle Hud, Bounce and 2 others loved this
You ever see a grown man naked Billy?
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Does it happen in many threads or just the COVID related threads? If it's just COVID, maybe just stopping any COVID conversations?
HotRodZilla, wheatonFJR, and Bust loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

I am completely aligned with Joey. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to eliminate political discussions on a motorcycle forum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

HotRodZilla, Tyler, PhilJet09 and 5 others loved this
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
RIP 1911
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Has there ever been a "successful" thread on politics or religion, even on those kinds of forums??.. nobody wins, and I agree not needed on a motorcycle forum.
HotRodZilla, Tyler, and CollingsBob loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Bust wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:09 am Personally when shit like that happens it's really just a "my dick is bigger than yours" argument. Just have everyone submit a picture of their log to Jwilly or Marty and have them figure it out.
Done.
HotRodZilla, D-Eagle, Bust and 1 others loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Intech wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:38 pm It wouldn't hurt my feelings to eliminate political discussions on a motorcycle forum.
So much this. But, I blocked the backyard forum myself, so I don't care what happens with it at this point.
Bounce and extrememarine loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Tyler
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 CanAm Spyder ST

Post by Tyler »

I've heard of this mythical backyard forum and what it entailed and was curious... for about 10 seconds and then decided there's enough arguing, name calling, and divisive bullshit going on the in the world and I didn't need more of it because, as Ray said, it seems like there aren't many polite "discussions" about politics, religion, etc. This forum is one of the few places that I can visit without enduring that crap and instead, like Pants said, visit with friends and talk about or plan rides and living life to the fullest and laugh at ourselves and each other in a respectful way. I haven't ever been to this backyard and never will so if it goes away, it won't really make any difference to me personally... but if it makes a positive difference/change to the overall forum and the admin duties that go with it, be done with it. Life is too f*cking short. ;)
Uncle Hud, gixxerjasen, CollingsBob and 1 others loved this
"Spend time with those who make you better." ~Anonymous
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

I also have not partaken in the backyard forum. A friend is a hairdresser and she says that there are Hairdresser Rules: She is not allowed to talk about

Politics
Religion
Finances
Sensitive social topics
Sex
Sports

And, don't engage conversation with a client that's venting or on a rant. Hairdresser Rules aren't so bad...
FJRoss loved this
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

gixxerjasen wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:02 am
Intech wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:38 pm It wouldn't hurt my feelings to eliminate political discussions on a motorcycle forum.
So much this. But, I blocked the backyard forum myself, so I don't care what happens with it at this point.
That would seem the logical approach instead of reporting stuff you don't like seeing.
Bust, wheatonFJR, and Festus loved this
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent on being a forum admin

The fact that thought of flipping off the switch has crossed Wayne's mind even a little bit should tell us something. Is The Backyard worth that risk?
Bounce, Intech, CollingsBob and 2 others loved this
TimDog!
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

I have enough drama in my life. Don't need more via an internet forum.

Mildly (and morbidly) interested in what goes on there but in the same way you might look at the aftermath of a train wreck as you pass by. (But not so interested that I have ever thought seriously about joining.) The only reason it has any place at all is to keep (most of) the CRAP from seeping into other parts of the forum, IMHO.
(If the forum needs that in order to remain civil in other sections, then we have problems.)

I like ionbeam's Hairdresser Rules. Might think of a couple of categories to add.
Bounce and Bust loved this
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Is the Backyard forum the same as the Sheep Pen? Just curious.

I don't need access to the backyard.

I find talking politics on most days about as fun as talking about fertilizer.
CollingsBob loved this
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Thank you for the feedback and support on this. I'm working on next steps this week and will provide an update as soon as I've made a decision on direction.

Wayne
Tyler, CollingsBob, and danh600 loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Yes. The "Sheep's Pen" has 3 subforums - "Completely Off Topic", "Jokes and General Jackassery", and "Backyard". The backyard subforum has a process posted to join.
danh600 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:28 am Is the Backyard forum the same as the Sheep Pen? Just curious.

I don't need access to the backyard.

I find talking politics on most days about as fun as talking about fertilizer.
Bust and danh600 loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

Ogopogo
FJRModel: 2014

Post by Ogopogo »

ionbeam wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:08 am I also have not partaken in the backyard forum. A friend is a hairdresser and she says that there are Hairdresser Rules: She is not allowed to talk about

Politics
Religion
Finances
Sensitive social topics
Sex
Sports

And, don't engage conversation with a client that's venting or on a rant. Hairdresser Rules aren't so bad...
About 40 years ago my barber was ranting about the skin color of a passerby. I've been cutting my own hair ever since. Harder than airing a tire, easier than changing one. My (now) wife was already cutting her own hair when I met her. I've never put a dollar value on all that but it has to be real money.

Wish it was as easy with the dentist. Last visit mine was yapping about her divorce and house sale with her assistant. Not gonna' try laying down any rules with her so I'll be shopping for a new dentist.
Bounce loved this
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

AS much as I like the forum, I find myself here less and less. I understand you're not wanting to referee people arguing politics and insulting each other... BUT... YOU HAVE TO ACTIVELY DECIDE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BACKYARD. Bunch of cry babies if you ask me, which you just did. If I jump into the boxing ring and get punched in the face, can I run home home to mommy and cry about how the "mean people" are picking on me? I'd hope she'd slap the shit outa me for being a pussy.

Jesus f'n Christ grow a pair. It says in the description, if I recall correctly, something to the effect of putting your big boy pants on because you're entering a non-censored zone.

You reminded us several times that it's your forum, your rules. You warned everybody to expect to get their feelings hurt and if they weren't going to be able to take it, to not participate. You setup the backyard because there was no place on "he who shall not be mentioned" forum to have any discussion. Let's not forget that I got banned over there because of something I said HERE... That's Ludacris, but you kowtow to a keyboard warrior. So, you banned anything about that place or that person.

What the f@$k happened to this country? There are no MEN left, just a bunch of Soy-Boy Latte drinking pansies. (oh I'm sorry Did I hurt somebody's feelings?)

First no more TGIF, them no discussion of Voldemort, and now we need to make this a "Safe Forum", what's next preferred pronouns in our profile?

If you want to make this another "Safe Space" so the cry-babies don't cry. It's your house, but I won't be coming here anymore.
tominca, HotRodZilla, Bounce and 5 others loved this