What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by wheatonFJR »

You sound happy. That’s all I care about. Of course you will have to spend time programming all theStarbucks into your gps, but that’s you, not me so I don’t give a flip.

Keep hanging around here though, I may get out to Washington State sometime after my vacation accrues, so I will need directions to your house so you can grill up that steak for me. :D
fontanaman loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Jim,

As Wheatie said, the only thing that matters is that you are happy. That machine is sharp looking for sure.

I wish I could take that 17 off your hands. I am confident you have yours set up great and it has less miles than mine.
fontanaman loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

R-bikes get my libido rolling. Don’t want new bike payments — especially BMW-sized payments — but that “liquid graphite” beauty is hawt.
fontanaman loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

Congrats on the (almost) new addition Fontanaman! Sweet looking Beemer. Let's hope for an early spring in Eastern Oregon to get you two acquainted! :-)

~G
fontanaman loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

escapefjrtist wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:12 pm Congrats on the (almost) new addition Fontanaman! Sweet looking Beemer. Let's hope for an early spring in Eastern Oregon to get you two acquainted! :-)

~G
Thanks -G and Uncle Hud for the good wishes. Buying the RT is a bet and experiment. I have not bonded with my 17 ES. I'd rather have 09 back with the after market suspension. The 17ES was all I hoped for and even more less the suspension. The 17ES suspension was a huge let down vs after market suspension. I didn't appreciate after market suspension it till I lost it and that loss outweighed the gains.

Buying a RT is an experiment. I will hold on to the FJR and RT for a while then go to NE Oregon in early April to put the RT through it paces. Then I will know which is right for me.

I have always dreamed of an RT. It just seemed to fit me. Maybe I am full of Sh!t only time will tell.
Last edited by fontanaman on Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
escapefjrtist and wheatonFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Jim, you may be full of it, but you're down a quart. The RT is known to be ergonomically one of the best sport tourers out there. Get used to the boxer and a bit less horsepower.... no worries, it will take you where you want to go. Many get lulled into taking it to the dealer for service, but there's a ton of stuff you can do DIY once you edumacate yourself. I suspect a conversation with the resident at The Outpost will help tremendously....
fontanaman, Cav47, escapefjrtist and 2 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Bomp Bomp Bomp - another one bites the dust....

Congrats Jim. The lull of those Barvarian Sirens with their perkie boobies is apparently very hard to resist!!!
fontanaman and wheatonFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

I spent today checking out service procedures for the BMW. The ShiftCam engine came out in 2019 so there isn't a lot on Youtube yet. If I use the prior boxer engines say the R1200 for reference a fool could check the valves and change the shims. I am getting on forums trying to learn what's up with this. I have more to learn.

At 65 years old now if I don't do this now I may never get the change. I think I will hold onto the FJR for a while to make sure the BMW is what I really want. A trip to NE Oregon will tell me all I need to know.
Uncle Hud, Hppants, danh600 and 2 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

fontanaman wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:58 pm I spent today checking out service procedures for the BMW. The ShiftCam engine came out in 2019 so there isn't a lot on Youtube yet. If I use the prior boxer engines say the R1200 for reference a fool could check the valves and change the shims. I am getting on forums trying to learn what's up with this. I have more to learn.

At 65 years old now if I don't do this now I may never get the change. I think I will hold onto the FJR for a while to make sure the BMW is what I really want. A trip to NE Oregon will tell me all I need to know.
Yer gonna havta start your own thread, "what did you do on bigjugged Beemer today?"
Uncle Hud loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

fontanaman wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:39 am I will hold on to the FJR and RT for a while then go to NE Oregon in early April to put the RT through it paces. Then I will know which is right for me.
fontanaman wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:58 pm I think I will hold onto the FJR for a while to make sure the BMW is what I really want. A trip to NE Oregon will tell me all I need to know.
Personally I'd recommend hanging onto the FJR for a while to make sure the BMW is right for you. I figure a trip on the BMW to NE Oregon to put it through it's paces will tell you all you need to know. ;)
Uncle Hud, fontanaman, and wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Today was superb!!

About 225 miles of riding some of the better roads around here with two of my riding buddies. Weather was party cloudy and about 68 degrees and light wind. I picked the right combination of jacket, gloves, layers, etc. - felt just right. Traffic was non-existent. Where we confronted one or two vehicles, the road (and the bikes) allowed for quick overtaking without so much as a down shift. Roads were clean, dry, and compliant. I was in the groove all day - good lines through the curves. Leaning her left, then right, running 10-20ish over effortlessly. Had good focus and vision all day - excellent light without the concerning shadows. Not pushing in the slightest. 43.7 mpg - smooth, man. On a few well known curves, with the sugar cane cut, I could see well around the curve, so I leaned the big girl over and looked well through the curve. She flopped over and at the apex, I put the heat to her and she ran like a painted stallion with no reigns. The suspension was not pushed, nor the brakes. I always felt like I had "20% more" - kind of a fictitious analogy, but you get the point.

The fried shrimp salad for lunch on the socially distanced patio was fantastic.

Today was absolutely why we ride. Man, it was fun. On the right day, the FJR is a blast....
danh600, Niehart, fontanaman and 3 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Starbucks has the lightly used 2019 coffee machine on sale for $19,995.

The Starbucks coffee machine needs a Nav 6 GPS so it’s owner can find his way back home. Once you look at the Starbucks coffee machine you will understand why the Starbucks branded GPS is a good feature to have. Cost $850.

License, title fee and taxes to brew coffee in Washington State is $1800.

A Russell Day Long saddle. The Starbucks coffee machine seat to foot peg distance is 17.5” whereas it is 19” on my Mr Coffee model. Research suggests many riders are forgoing the Starbucks RT model and buying the roomier GSA model because like me they are old and their knees and hips appreciate a bit more room. Or you can get a RDL. Cost $930

The Starbucks coffee machine is a funny beast. The dash illuminates for both system fault and service due messages aka oil change. Without a special box, a GS911, you can’t clear the fault or service message. The Starbucks forum poster advised if you plan on doing your own servicing a GS911 box is essential. Cost $400. Ouch. The irritation begins.

The very pretty and functional color coordinated Top Case for storing coffee machine accessories is an eye watering $1700. For a plastic box. The solution is to use my existing Mr. Coffee accessories. The adapters cost about $215.

Starbucks service manual is in DVD format and costs $110. I prefer the printed type to keep greasy fingerprints off my keyboard. Besides, my laptop does not have a DVD player.

This lightly used Starbucks coffee machine will cost about $24000.

Additional research reveals reviewers who found the Starbucks coffee machine didn’t pour well when in tight areas as the dynamic suspension was tuned for smooth countertops. One reviewer was more blunt, “At no point throughout the day did I feel fully confident pushing this machine in tight, uneven countertops even at max preload in manual mode.” The same reviewer recommended the A model of the Mr. Coffee machine I own with aftermarket suspension.

This got my attention. Warning bells were sounding and lights started flashing. I was hoping dynamic suspension was going to solve my suspension issues. This is only true if the dynamic suspension is tuned for me, a laughable notion. Dynamic suspension is not adjustable - this sounds worse than ES. You can put it in manual mode but that is defeating the purpose of a very pricey system.

I went into this trying to satisfy a dream. The dream formulated about 12-20 years ago before I had a FJR. Back in those days Starbucks RT machines weighed about 580 lbs and there wasn't as much competition. These days the RT is about 620-640 depending on what review you read about the same as the Mr. Coffee I presently own. Overtime coffee machines have changed but not my dream. The dream did not keep up with reality.

My wife and I didn’t travel this year and it would be nice to have a little more money in reserve to travel without exceeding our budget. I began to feel selfish. I can purchase a lot of other nice things for the price of a Starbucks coffee machine that may or may not scratch an itch. Is the premium for the Starbucks coffee machine worth all of the other things available?

I called the Starbucks dealer and got my deposit back. Instead, without guilt, I ordered Cogent Shock for the DR and look at new helmets this year and enjoy additional travel with my wife.

This means you will be stuck with me for a while longer.
Last edited by fontanaman on Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hppants, Full House, Niehart and 6 others loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

So, Jim, when we putting the shim in your butt end of the Mr. Coffee?
escapefjrtist, wheatonFJR, Cav47 and 1 others loved this
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

raYzerman wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:54 pm So, Jim, when we putting the shim in your butt end of the Mr. Coffee?
...and, I did some spring (winter?) cleaning today and threw out my calcs for ES spring replacement choices. I enjoy a Starbucks once in a while cuz it's still a nice brew! Without even a test ride are you 100% sure about this Fontanaman? That itch isn't going away and will need to be scratched somehow!

~G
Uncle Hud loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

So I thought today would have been my last ride of the season. I had arranged to bring the bike to my brother in law's garage where I store for the winter since they are calling for snow storm on Wednesday but he called yesterday and wanted to do it then. I hadn't anticipated riding yesterday because of the drizzle but wound up going anyway. So baby has been stabilized, tendered and covered for her winter nap. :|
Pappy 09AE
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Well Jim, you are a better man than most. In general, when the barvarian starbucks girls start their routine, most find it impossible to resist.
Uncle Hud loved this

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

The itch is gone. I miss the suspension I had on the 09. I don't think the Bavarian Starbucks girl will get me back to how my 09 suspension performed.

While dynamic suspension sounds great it is not adjustable. Sure it will behave different for a rider who weights 180 lbs vs 250, but if you don't like how it behaves it is off to manual mode for you.

This was a fun experience digging into reviews and forums. I learned my 20 old dream was based on bikes now 20 years old. Silly me.

What next? I don't know. The 17 is nice but it missing suspension performance I enjoyed on the 09. Now with a possible recall on six gear model presents a new wrinkle. My 17 shifts just fine. Some have had trouble from day one. Certainly would not get a 19 A without a test ride.

I am glad I got the DR. A new rear shock is on the way. I am looking forward to dialing it in. Idaho BDR and bits of the CDR have my eye.

Now Linda and I have some more coin to see the Bavarian girls in person. We enjoyed Munich and the Alps.
John d, Hppants, Uncle Hud and 4 others loved this
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

fontanaman wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:32 pm .....
This was a fun experience digging into reviews and forums. I learned my 20 old dream was based on bikes now 20 years old. Silly me.
Yeah, man; I understand. I have several 20-year-old dreams.
fontanaman loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Uncle Hud wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:21 am
fontanaman wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:32 pm .....
Yeah, man; I understand. I have several 20-year-old dreams.
I’m pming Aunt Kelly right now.

HA!
Uncle Hud loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

No no, he didn't say he had dreams about 20 year olds fer cryinoutloud.
Uncle Hud and fontanaman loved this