Routine maintenance and oddities.

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Routine maintenance and oddities.

Post by Intech »

I mounted a set of RS III's the day before yesterday. Went out for 200 miles of scrub in preparing for a trip to West Virginia tomorrow through Friday. I got ahead of myself and put the back tire back on the bike before balancing. I finished the front tire and put our on the balancer with the weights from the last tire still on. It was balanced! Weird. Removed the back tire and put off on the balancer. Heavy spot where the weights are. Remove the weights and the tire is balanced. I think I should buy a lottery ticket.

Moved on to the levert pivots. First time in 63k. Yup. It needed to be replaced on the clutch side. Brake is next. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FJRPittsburgh, PhilJet09, Bounce and 2 others loved this
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Re: Routine maintenance and oddities.

Post by gixxerjasen »

Lots of tires these days are well balanced, but the wheel still needs to be balanced. I don't take the weights off my wheels till I find it is out of balance. Most times, it seems to be spot on. I know folks who balance the wheel without a tire, then just mount the tire and go. Not ideal, but my experience shows it's right almost all of the time.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran

Post by Intech »

I do it the same way. Never had this happen on one tire let alone two in all the sets I have done.

RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I get the tires mounted for free at Cycle Gear, and they price match the internet for me. That includes balancing, but unfortunately, their balancer is off. The amount of weight is correct, but they miss it's location by about 30 radial degrees. Particularly for the front, that translates into a vibration at speeds above 70 mph.

So I tell them to "balance" it, but don't stick the weights on. Just tape the weights to the tire and I static balance the tire at home.
NTXFJR and gixxerjasen loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Hppants wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:08 pm I get the tires mounted for free at Cycle Gear, and they price match the internet for me. That includes balancing, but unfortunately, their balancer is off. The amount of weight is correct, but they miss it's location by about 30 radial degrees. Particularly for the front, that translates into a vibration at speeds above 70 mph.

So I tell them to "balance" it, but don't stick the weights on. Just tape the weights to the tire and I static balance the tire at home.
Your cycle gear does better than mine. I have to show up three times to get them to move my wheels to the back and finally start changing them. They are why I invested in a tire changer for home.
bigjohnsd loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran

Post by Intech »

I got my tire changer for free, so all my changes are now free. I like the piece of mind of balancing my own tires.

Hppants, Auburn, bigjohnsd and 2 others loved this
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I found my front wheels have been way off balance right from the factory, they installed clip-on weights... I balanced the wheels without tires but with T-stems and TPMS, then put clip-ons to compensate..... mount a tire and it doesn't take much to balance it.
FJRPittsburgh loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

I have my wheels marked so I know where they are heavy, and it is NOT the valve stem. I think its about 140° away from that. I mount my tires with the marked heavy side opposite my wheels have spot and usually use very little weight if any. I took my wheels to my Yamaha dealer to install these Roadsmart 3s I have now, because I was thinking they were the BT30 GTs and didn't feel like fighting them. Either way, they used way more weight than I usually do, which means they paid no attention to my markings inside the wheel.
FJRPittsburgh, raYzerman, and wheatonFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

'07 and '14 FJR.... front wheels off balance (way light at the valve stem) and Yammy installed 50 grams of clip-on weights.... I reduced by installing metal valve stems and TPMS..... yet I have seen other FJR's with few weights on their front wheels, go figure.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

raYzerman wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:56 am '07 and '14 FJR.... front wheels off balance...and Yammy installed 50 grams of clip-on weights....yet I have seen other FJR's with few weights on their front wheels, go figure.
Two of the last three PR4 front tires for my '15 required no weight to balance. Both weightless tires were track tested to >130 with no detectable balance issues. This tire with weights as been on the far side of 100 with no vibrations. This last PR4 I put on this spring took a small amount of weight, I'd have to look to see how much. It took the weight right where the factory clip on weight was installed. I'm pretty sure that if I moved the tire around it would haven't required any weight.
wheatonFJR loved this
Auburn
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006

Post by Auburn »

Intech wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:05 pm I got my tire changer for free, so all my changes are now free. I like the piece of mind of balancing my own tires.

And knowing everything is installed correctly when you are done.
HotRodZilla, Hppants, and wheatonFJR loved this
get out and ride! IBA #54706
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran

Post by Intech »

Exactly!
AuburnFJR wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:17 am And knowing everything is installed correctly when you are done.
HotRodZilla loved this
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

There is just something unique about working on a machine - knowing what makes it 'tick' and knowing it well enough to know when something is off, knowing that everything is right; and (in a case specific to our motorcycles) leaving the garage with the confidence that the time invested previously will mean a (mechanically) uneventful ride. That time in the garage has become, for me, just as therapeutic as each ride.
Intech wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:58 pm Exactly!
AuburnFJR wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:17 am And knowing everything is installed correctly when you are done.
Auburn, Intech, HotRodZilla and 1 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

extrememarine wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:23 pm There is just something unique about working on a machine - knowing what makes it 'tick' and knowing it well enough to know when something is off, knowing that everything is right; and (in a case specific to our motorcycles) leaving the garage with the confidence that the time invested previously will mean a (mechanically) uneventful ride. That time in the garage has become, for me, just as therapeutic as each ride.
I do oil changes, tire changes, and brake pad changes...I leave the rest to the tech day pros, and have never hesitated taking my bike any were that I wanted to.
bill lumberg and HotRodZilla loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

extrememarine wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:23 pm There is just something unique about working on a machine - knowing what makes it 'tick' and knowing it well enough to know when something is off, knowing that everything is right; and (in a case specific to our motorcycles) leaving the garage with the confidence that the time invested previously will mean a (mechanically) uneventful ride. That time in the garage has become, for me, just as therapeutic as each ride.
I get this, and to some degree, I agree. But not as much as I used to. Now, for the most part, I'd rather ride it than work on it. But I'm also a cheap bastage and generally don't trust anyone I don't know to work on my shit. And so.....

Hi Ho
Hi Ho
It's to work on my bike, I go....
Bounce and Auburn loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

When it comes to working on my FJR, I know what I know and am comfortable doing stuff to save cash and because I know I am likely to be fussier than the average guy at the shop for mundane stuff.

More important, I know what I don't know and will defer to a qualified mechanic where necessary. No problem with valve checks and adjustment but don't know if I would feel competent to drop the engine, split the cases and fix a 2nd gear problem - at least not on my own. On the other hand, I'm not sure I would trust the local Yamaha shop to do it... (Guess I will just have to be careful with missed shifts!)
danh600 and HotRodZilla loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

I've probably touched every nut and bolt on an FJR, but never split cases..... I'd be OK if I were the one to split them and know where shit came from in what order, etc., but I have a basket engine here which I should really put together for fun.. eventually for donation to a local skool.
FJRPittsburgh loved this
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Now this is something I admire. I want to get to this point in life.

Right now I want a bullet proof bike. Put your gear on walk out to the bike an hit the starter. It fires up and everything works just like the last ride and the one before that.

That is why I have Yamahas.

Once I retire I will have more time than money. Then maybe I will become a decent mechanic.

Looking forward to that day.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Money won't buy you mechanical aptitude, you better start now and start breakin' shit. Geek will give you lessons, then you can figure out how to put it back together.
morecowbell, HotRodZilla, and Auburn loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

raYzerman wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:06 pm you better start now and start breakin' shit.
Way ahead of you...
Hppants and HotRodZilla loved this
My Blog