Lighting the big lights

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Lighting the big lights

Post by Cav47 »

I have a big set of aux lights that need to be re-powered. I broke the prototype unit that Tim made for me after trying to fiddle with the wires because I was getting some flickering.

I had a random thought, dangerous, I know.

I heard some of you smart guys talking about pulse modules and other stuff. So the question is could one use a heated gear controller. They are ready made and very durable.

What say you smart fellas. Remember, I gotta be able to hook it up. It has to be simple.....really simple...... okay, it’s me, so it has to be idiot proof. With tech days on hold, I gotta do something before we leave for Red Lodge. That’s in about 6 weeks. Thanks
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Re: Lighting the big lights

Post by FJRoss »

My heated gear cycles on and off at intervals measured in multiple seconds - not what you want for lighting!! Percent time on is a function of setting.
Bounce and Cav47 loved this
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Mine use a pulse controller, but they’re LEDs. You’d want a traditional rheostat (voltage controller) for incandescent bulbs. And honestly, that wisdom is pretty close to the limits of my knowledge.
Cav47 loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

How big a set of these lights are we talking about, as far as power draw is concerned? A PWM will do it if it can handle the current (amps), so need to know what those lights need before answering a heated gear controller....
Next question, PWM's are used to dim them.... do you need to dim them? If not, use a switch, or even a switch and relay if they need that..
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Cav47
Veteran
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

LEDRider

Model Number: LX40
4x Cree XM-L2 LEDs
Custom Engineered Reflectors for 10 Degree hybrid pattern
4200 Lumens
3.2 Amps @ 12.5 Volt DC (~40 watts)
5000k Color Temperature
9-32 Volts DC Input
IPX68 Waterproof
100% Aluminum Housing
Thermal Protection
Shatter proof, Scratch Resistant Ultra Clear PC lens
20″ Wire Leads
Stainless mounting brackets
3 Inch Front Measurement
Offroad Use Only

Ray, these CANNOT be ran on full bright. It becomes comical at full power. Reflection from road signs is not good. The overhead signs will blind you. I love the full power for the darkness, but like the ability to quickly dial just the right amount of lumens.
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Your idea of using a digital heated gear controller should work ok for those lights.

The heated gear controllers are typically fused at 15 amps which would be close to 200 watts.

Hook them up to the controller and hook it up to a battery.

Give them the "smoke test".

Have the Spawn video the test just in case it goes wrong, it could be good entertainment at Red Lodge.

The CANBUS controller frequently used on BMWs is sold as a PWM Light Controller, some guys use one of the channels to power their heated gear using the PWM technology.
Cav47 loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

bigjohnsd wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:34 pm Your idea of using a digital heated gear controller should work ok for those lights.

The heated gear controllers are typically fused at 15 amps which would be close to 200 watts.

Have the Spawn video the test just in case it goes wrong, it could be good entertainment at Red Lodge.

The CANBUS controller frequently used on BMWs is sold as a PWM Light Controller, some guys use one of the channels to power their heated gear using the PWM technology.
The thing to keep in mind is not all controllers use the same frequency. Heated gear doesn't need a fast update rate because you wouldn't notice. But you would certainly notice flickering in the LEDs. PWM for LEDs may work on heated gear just fine, but not necessarily the other way around. It shouldn't hurt anything, but it may not be the desired effect.

If it is just a matter of repairing, reinforcing, and making a more permanent mount for the controller, that's easy.
Bounce and Cav47 loved this
TimDog!
huron52
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by huron52 »

Why don't you try this....Is this not what you are after?

https://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=IQ-275
wheatonFJR loved this
frankd
Squid
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300, 2018 Africa Twin AS

Post by frankd »

huron52 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:57 am Why don't you try this....Is this not what you are after?

I've got this Skene controller hooked up with a Trailtech switch - works great. While not infinitely controllable, you do get four user-programmable settings. I have them programmed for off, daytime running, country road and full blast (wired to the high-beam switch). This controller also eliminates the need for adding any relays.

Like it so much that I also put one on my AT as well. That one also got the full blast mode wired to the horn switch through the controller and a simple diode arrangement - loud sounds and bright lights to get you noticed (hopefully). FJR might get a similar upgrade shortly.
Cav47 loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I think the Skene might be the one........
Now iff'n you'd upgrade the headlights on Halle to F2 LED's you can likely do without those honking aux. lights and just put smaller format 10 watters on for conspicuity.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Cav47
Veteran
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

frankd wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:35 am
huron52 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:57 am Why don't you try this....Is this not what you are after?

I've got this Skene controller hooked up with a Trailtech switch - works great. While not infinitely controllable, you do get four user-programmable settings. I have them programmed for off, daytime running, country road and full blast (wired to the high-beam switch). This controller also eliminates the need for adding any relays.

Like it so much that I also put one on my AT as well. That one also got the full blast mode wired to the horn switch through the controller and a simple diode arrangement - loud sounds and bright lights to get you noticed (hopefully). FJR might get a similar upgrade shortly.
This is exactly what I am thinking, but Tim knows, I am not confident in my skills to install this. NO WAY I am doing this solo. TECH DAY is what would make sense. I will drive to someone's shop and I can watch! Hold a light, get you beer, whatever. But electronics always freak me out.
DesignFlaw06 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:11 am
bigjohnsd wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:34 pm Your idea of using a digital heated gear controller should work ok for those lights.

The thing to keep in mind is not all controllers use the same frequency. Heated gear doesn't need a fast update rate because you wouldn't notice. But you would certainly notice flickering in the LEDs. PWM for LEDs may work on heated gear just fine, but not necessarily the other way around. It shouldn't hurt anything, but it may not be the desired effect.

If it is just a matter of repairing, reinforcing, and making a more permanent mount for the controller, that's easy.
I know what I had before was good. The mounting prototype was a one off original.

Cav47
Veteran
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

raYzerman wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:36 am I think the Skene might be the one........
Now iff'n you'd upgrade the headlights on Halle to F2 LED's you can likely do without those honking aux. lights and just put smaller format 10 watters on for conspicuity.
I have some upgraded LED's. The plan was to put them in the KLX because the lighting on there is not great. But mostly because I added the heated gear and wanted to reduce the load. The heat sink would not fit behind the shroud.

They are the same ones Marty put in his bike.

bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

DesignFlaw06 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:11 am

Exactly why I suggested a "Bench Test" to find out whether or not it will work properly with little chance for an on the bike problem.
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!