Fuse or Relay?

The Technical Library sub forum will contain how-to and reference articles for all generations of the FJR1300.
Forum rules
13.B - For tech library threads, same approach as the merchandise threads – all posts will be related to the tech library topic – questions about the topic, posts adding to the topic from a technical perspective, etc. Any posts outside of those will be deleted by forum moderators or admins.
ice_station_zebra
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008 FJR and 2012 Versys 650 (Tracer GT or Versys 1000 to come)

Fuse or Relay?

Post by ice_station_zebra »

Or something else? I was changing out the battery and saw this?

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: Fuse or Relay?

Post by raYzerman »

Main Fuse, 60 amp. Blow that and bikey no go. Feeds all the 'lectrics.
ice_station_zebra loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

raYzerman wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:37 pm Main Fuse, 60 amp. Blow that and bikey no go. Feeds all the 'lectrics.
What would it take... what would have to happen for that main fuse to blow...?
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

Hack wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:05 pm
raYzerman wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:37 pm Main Fuse, 60 amp. Blow that and bikey no go. Feeds all the 'lectrics.
What would it take... what would have to happen for that main fuse to blow...?
Putting a longer than necessary screw through the faring to mount a farkle and putting the screw through the insulation of the + battery lead or the feed wire to the fuse box. Gixxerjasen hooking up an aux fuse block. Doing work around the battery area and pinching your SAE connector wire between two pieces of metal. Moving wires around and then not securing them resulting in insulation chaffing. Working around the ignition switch and harness, the power connector slips from your fingers and in a one in a million chance the female + pin in connector hits a metal bit just right/just wrong. This is one of Murphy's signature specialties, you couldn't do that on purpose if you spent a week trying. :mrgreen:

Something would have to go seriously wrong to blow the main fuse because there are smaller fuses between the electrical components the main fuse protecting the main fuse. If your main fuse blew and you wrote about it here in the Forum the words stupid or careless would likely be prominent.
Uncle Hud and Intech loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

True story, this actually happened... don't know which FJR forum but someone put their battery in backwards or something and installed battery cables (totally wrong polarity!!), and it blew the main 60 amp fuse. Bike was OK, ECU kept all its smoke contained inside it, no other damage. New safety feature discovered that's not in the manual. But, I do have a story to tell of my own.... later.
Jalingo and Uncle Hud loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

ionbeam wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:19 pm Doing work around the battery area and pinching your SAE connector wire between two pieces of metal.
Hopefully, you short something out after the fuse, not between the battery and the main fuse. Most people wire the SAE connector directly to the battery so if it gets shorted, it just blows the fuse you put in the SAE connector. What? No fuse in the SAE lead? - then the SAE lead becomes the fuse. IF the wire is REALLY robust, the battery terminals become the fuse. Main fuse is safe!

Most of my bone-headed electrical moments involve circuits fused at less than 10 amps or so. To that end, I bought a blade fuse kit from Amazon with 120 or so fuses from 2 amp to 35 amps. With the above comments as a reminder, I probably should get a spare main fuse, just in case. I plan on doing some major farkle rewiring this spring - running high-power auxiliary lights and the feed to my Fuzeblock from a barrier strip. Might route headlights and some other stuff off the main ignition switch while I am at it - no problems but I want to keep it that way. Barrier strips (switched and unswitched), extra relays, high current circuits... What could possibly go wrong?