What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Full House
FJRModel: 2010

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Full House »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:07 pm Texted a photo of my Angel GT front tire to Jwilly. It has 1800 miles on it. Jwilly, the voice of reason, told me to change it before the ride tomorrow. I have the afternoon off, its great weather,
great time to test the doctor's work on my collarbone. Doctor said it was good enough to do that a couple months ago.
Great post, pictures REQUIRED! lol
wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Full House wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:57 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:07 pm Texted a photo of my Angel GT front tire to Jwilly. It has 1800 miles on it. Jwilly, the voice of reason, told me to change it before the ride tomorrow. I have the afternoon off, its great weather,
great time to test the doctor's work on my collarbone. Doctor said it was good enough to do that a couple months ago.
Show me yours an I'll show you mine.
Full House loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

Throttle body sync...

'Another maint. item scratched off the list :)
fjray
Veteran
FJRModel: 04

Post by fjray »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:35 pm
Be careful what you ask for. It could get ugly real fast. :stickpoke:
wheatonFJR and Full House loved this
All things are simple when approached with a simple mind.
John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Post by John d »

ionbeam wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:54 pm Since it's still running, if it was a timing tooth skip it happened at the cams. If the timing chain skip happened at the crank sprocket it would be an entirely different situation :cry:
I can guarantee that if anything happened with the timing chain, that it would be at crank.
John d
Veteran

Post by John d »

FJRoss wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:21 am
John d wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:46 pm Over the last few days. Changed fork oil, new tapered steering head bearings, new horn, valve adjustment with two valves needing smaller shims. More lubing to come.

Now for some reason when it comes off high idle, it stalls. Idle adjustment screw does nothing. Need to look with fresh eyes tomorrow.
Assuming that there was nothing messed up on the valve timing...

I would start from scratch with the Throttle Body Sync. Close down all of the air screws to lightly seated and open them all half to three quarters of a turn. After synching, I think you should have control back for the idle adjustment screw.
It won't warm idle, so can't sync. Only two intake valves were adjusted from a loose 5 thou to 7 thou. Not enough to alter sync much. So it's either a vacuum leak or the timing chain slipped a tooth at the crank. Engine revs out good and sounds powerful.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Any error codes? Possibility of an "earwax" deposit in the rubber hose coming from the MAP sensor. See if there is a code 14. Fairly common on Gen II. Happened on my 07.

If your shim changes are minor, I agree that it is unlikely the TBS could be off enough to cause this much grief.
John d
Veteran

Post by John d »

Nope, no error codes, but I'll be checking for earwax even thou that was cleaned out not long ago.
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

John d wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:17 pm Nope, no error codes, but I'll be checking for earwax even thou that was cleaned out not long ago.
Would cause similar symptoms...

Good luck.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

John d wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:17 pm
ionbeam wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:54 pm Since it's still running, if it was a timing tooth skip it happened at the cams. If the timing chain skip happened at the crank sprocket it would be an entirely different situation :cry:
I can guarantee that if anything happened with the timing chain, that it would be at crank.
A friend of mine had a 2010 with the timing off one tooth at the crank. It would idle a little "off" but not awful. He would cruise at say 4000 rpm and then would not settle back to idle when decelerating. Changed ECU's, checked sensors, cleaned injectors, everything... the engine had been out for 2nd gear trans fix, had a second shop check it all out when the first one couldn't fix it..... then Ray said, leave that bike with me for a coupla days... well all I did was ride it down the road half a mile and found it wouldn't develop full horsepower.... kinda knew what that was right away. Pulled the valve cover and checked timing marks. All I had to do was move the chain one tooth on the crank sprocket and... magic. In that case, both cams would be out of time.
IF only one of the cams was off a tooth, again depending on which direction, symptoms may be different or more subtle.
John, bottom line is I don't think you have a choice but to open it up to look, due to the uncertainty. You can check the MAP sensor of course, but that's like the third time on that bike isn't it? I've never heard of such an earwax problem, most only get it once. Well, you got nothing to lose by looking.......
FJRoss loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Earwax issue generally sets an error code 14 but it is a really quick thing to check. 5 minutes once the tank is up and then dive into the timing check as Ray suggests. Certainly worth having a good look around first to make sure there isn't a hose off or vacuum leak somewhere. All TBS caps in place?
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

All this talk about earwax is getting me ...itchy. Gonna leave in an hour to do some social distancing on some rural twisty mountain roads.
bungie4 and Road Runner loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Full House
FJRModel: 2010

Post by Full House »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:35 pm
Touche ! , oh wait, no touche ing allowed!
wheatonFJR loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Washed my 17 and started reappropriating farkles from my 09 to the 17.

I have a peg lowering kit for sale. This is a bolt on item and uses the stock pegs.

Make an offer. I expect this item will be as popular on this forum as a box of condoms at a lesbian retreat.
escapefjrtist, wheatonFJR, and bigjohnsd loved this
ice_station_zebra
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008 FJR and 2012 Versys 650 (Tracer GT or Versys 1000 to come)

Post by ice_station_zebra »

I finally got round to cleaning and putting all the plastics back on the bike. Also, permanently removed the canyon cage bag protectors and the stock mirrors. Battery is getting weak as it enters its' seventh year of service...hope I can find a replacement before everything gets locked down. A bit hesitant to buy batteries on line, but I may have to.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

ice_station_zebra wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:40 pm I finally got round to cleaning and putting all the plastics back on the bike. Also, permanently removed the canyon cage bag protectors and the stock mirrors. Battery is getting weak as it enters its' seventh year of service...hope I can find a replacement before everything gets locked down. A bit hesitant to buy batteries on line, but I may have to.
So why permanently removed the canyon cage bag protectors? Are these not a good thing?
ice_station_zebra
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008 FJR and 2012 Versys 650 (Tracer GT or Versys 1000 to come)

Post by ice_station_zebra »

fontanaman wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:25 pm
ice_station_zebra wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:40 pm I finally got round to cleaning and putting all the plastics back on the bike. Also, permanently removed the canyon cage bag protectors and the stock mirrors. Battery is getting weak as it enters its' seventh year of service...hope I can find a replacement before everything gets locked down. A bit hesitant to buy batteries on line, but I may have to.
So why permanently removed the canyon cage bag protectors? Are these not a good thing?
Bag guards are a good idea for sure, but my wife found they hindered her access to the footpegs too much and I got sick and tired of banging my shins on them as I worked around the bike, especially in the garage. The T-rex attaches differently (better maybe) and is swept back a little instead of sticking straight out like elephant ears.
fontanaman loved this
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

ice_station_zebra wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:59 pm Bag guards are a good idea for sure, but my wife found they hindered her access to the footpegs too much...The T-rex attaches differently (better maybe) and is swept back a little...
I've got the T-rex bag guards. My wife hates them. They make it almost impossible for her to get on/off. She would love for me to take them off. Howsomever, she is the reason I have the guards on; she makes balancing the bike much harder these days. If she wasn't a regular passenger I wouldn't have the guards. I'm hoping that riding our new horse will add some fitness and flexibility that will make it easier for her on the bike. There is one thing that remains undiscussed with her that she could do that would make it both easier for her to board/exit and also make balancing the bike easier. I did it almost 10 years ago and the 60 lbs remain off to today.
ice_station_zebra and gixxerjasen loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

My wife doesn’t find the t-Rex bag guards to intrude upon her foot room whatsoever. They’re designed so that a seated pillions heels are in the void, not hitting the guard at all. She as as much foot room with the guards as she did without them. This is true whether using stock pegs or floorboards.

My wife loves the knifemaker floorboards. Loves them. She did not like the MCL passenger lowering brackets. Put things at an angle she did not enjoy when she was getting on or off the bike.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

My wife is fine when she is sitting on the bike, it's getting on and off that is a problem. To be somewhat fair, she had a knee replacement too late so there was permanent damage that a replacement couldn't fix (horse kicked her knee sideways and busted everything). She also has less flexibility than she used to when she started riding with me 50 years ago... It also wouldn't hurt for her to address her level of fitness. Once she is on she is fine, I did add drop pegs for her which helps her knee but makes the seat step-over higher. I put on floorboards last fall and she likes them but they don't play well with the dropped pegs. Pictures of this are coming to the web as soon as I can get the bike out of the garage and take them.

Edit to add: I think my peg drops came from Wild Hair or from a now defunct European site and are not MCL. I wouldn't buy anything MCL, but that's another story.