What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by Hppants »

ice_station_zebra wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:10 pm Installed a bracket I made for hella plugs. It is a tight fit, but it works!

I wanted to do this for my Hagon shock adjuster, but I ended up with the adjuster facing the back.

Of course, the only drawback is that adjuster is more in the slip stream of the "crap" in the wheelwell, and the saddlebag has to be removed to make the adjustment. So far, it hasn't been an issue.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

I love my FJR like most of us but lets face it, the horn is not much better than whats on the thousands of mopeds on the streets of Hanoi :lol: Ever see those videos of the thousand of mopeds, cars, bicycles, you name it buzzing through intersections with no order of any kind yet they rarely crash? On a side note if you want to see something that defies logic and is total insanity then check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz5uxAsrbwI

Oh and by the way I replaced my horn with a pair of PIIA horns and man oh man was I pleasantly surprised! These are as loud as any and might even rival the horn on the Wing I recently sold. Worth every penny and a one beer install to boot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F ... UTF8&psc=1
Cav47 loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

ice_station_zebra wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:50 pm Installed my new Hiflofiltro air filter. Very impressed with Hiflo, looks just as good as OEM, but quite a bit less expensive. I also bought the Hiflo oil filter and that looks good too.
I've used both many times, never a problem. I'll toss a couple on an order when they're on sale.
Blueridgerider wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:08 pm Oh and by the way I replaced my horn with a pair of PIIA horns and man oh man was I pleasantly surprised! These are as loud as any and might even rival the horn on the Wing I recently sold. Worth every penny and a one beer install to boot.

I still enjoy tooting my PIAA horns in tunnels and long underpasses. Never gets old!
Blueridgerider loved this
jwilly
Site Admin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by jwilly »

Rode to work, 29 this morning and an awesome 49 otw home. Keep expecting the security nazi's to leave me a nasty note for parking here in the garage..

bill lumberg, Hppants, Cav47 and 1 others loved this
I’d be more than happy to swear under oath that having watched you ride for many, many miles, there is no way in hell you could be speeding through those curves. -0face
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Tire pressure at 40/42? Check.

Oil Level full? Check.

All lights working? Check.

MP3 player charged? Check.

Allright - let's ride.....
BkerChuck loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I replaced the stock horn on my ‘18 with a something-blaster. Sometimes it works normally, sometimes it warbles and changes tone. I think it’s been compromised by water. I need to replace it but I’m not fooling with relays. I need to decide on something.
Blueridgerider wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:08 pm I love my FJR like most of us but lets face it, the horn is not much better than whats on the thousands of mopeds on the streets of Hanoi :lol: Ever see those videos of the thousand of mopeds, cars, bicycles, you name it buzzing through intersections with no order of any kind yet they rarely crash? On a side note if you want to see something that defies logic and is total insanity then check this out.

Oh and by the way I replaced my horn with a pair of PIIA horns and man oh man was I pleasantly surprised! These are as loud as any and might even rival the horn on the Wing I recently sold. Worth every penny and a one beer install to boot.

EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:59 am I replaced the stock horn on my ‘18 with a something-blaster. Sometimes it works normally, sometimes it warbles and changes tone. I think it’s been compromised by water. I need to replace it but I’m not fooling with relays. I need to decide on something.
Blueridgerider wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:08 pm I love my FJR like most of us but lets face it, the horn is not much better than whats on the thousands of mopeds on the streets of Hanoi :lol: Ever see those videos of the thousand of mopeds, cars, bicycles, you name it buzzing through intersections with no order of any kind yet they rarely crash? On a side note if you want to see something that defies logic and is total insanity then check this out.

Mr Lumberg, on my Gen1 I had Magnum Blasters that needed a relay. On my deceased Fat Bastard 13, I had PIAA something or others...which does NOT need a relay. Very Loud. I will purchase those and some LED headlights, just like the kind I had before.

Edit: Nevermind, BRR has already included the link to PIAAs in his post above.
Uncle Hud and bill lumberg loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

jwilly wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:57 pm Rode to work, 29 this morning and an awesome 49 otw home. Keep expecting the security nazi's to leave me a nasty note for parking here in the garage..

Im surprised it doesn't say bicycle pimp parking.
jwilly and bill lumberg loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:37 am
jwilly wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:57 pm Rode to work, 29 this morning and an awesome 49 otw home. Keep expecting the security nazi's to leave me a nasty note for parking here in the garage..

Im surprised it doesn't say bicycle pimp parking.
Shouldn't be a problem. It is, in fact, a bicycle. (On steroids)
jwilly loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Ordered.... ETA - I blame Wheaton. .
wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:32 am
bill lumberg wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:59 am I replaced the stock horn on my ‘18 with a something-blaster. Sometimes it works normally, sometimes it warbles and changes tone. I think it’s been compromised by water. I need to replace it but I’m not fooling with relays. I need to decide on something.

Mr Lumberg, on my Gen1 I had Magnum Blasters that needed a relay. On my deceased Fat Bastard 13, I had PIAA something or others...which does NOT need a relay. Very Loud. I will purchase those and some LED headlights, just like the kind I had before.

Edit: Nevermind, BRR has already included the link to PIAAs in his post above.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Warbly Blasters likely means not enough current making it to the horn, relay and bigger wire, yep. Could be water too, drill small hole in bottom of trumpet.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Electronicons are fine. I think it’s just been in a life aquatic for too many miles... Wish me luck on bolting on the new ones. I could mess up opening a coke bottle.

The likelihood of an early-in-the-day amazon prime delivery that I’d like to install or otherwise use on the day of delivery is inversely proportional to the likelihood of something I could care less about arriving early. Like, say, vitamins. Vitamins will show up at 9:15am. Parts will show up at 8pm.

Ordered $110 worth of replacement windshield covers today. About to go change the earl and clean and lube the easy to reach movey and hangy off things. If it’s easy to get to, man I’ll clean and lube that shit fairly often. If it requires a lift or much inconvenience to get to, suck it. It’ll do fine until I get to 80,000or 100,00 miles.
wheatonFJR and CollingsBob loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Yesterday, a had 330 miles of absolute motorcycle nirvana. I took exactly 4 pictures. I think I'll write about it.....
Spininprop, Cav47, Niehart and 1 others loved this

bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Fancy Schmancy horns arrived. I deluded myself into thinking they came with what was needed to mount them. Not the case. I’ll have to figure out what widgets to order to make connections for one horn work for two.

Checked the yoshi cans. One of the loctited screws holding the silencers in had already disappeared. No problem. I have a spare screw from yoshimura. But when I used it, it was too narrow to thread into the silencer. Had to put a nut on it to secure the silencer (that silencer is a replacement for the original, which escaped some time ago). Best looking exhaust in the history of exhaust. But more trouble than the chrome warriors that came with the bike. :)
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Brought it out of hibernation so I can ride it to work tomorrow...
bill lumberg loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

bill lumberg wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:20 pmFancy Schmancy horns arrived. I deluded myself into thinking they came with what was needed to mount them. Not the case. I’ll have to figure out what widgets to order to make connections for one horn work for two.
bill lumberg,

Here is the widget that you need. Lowes, Home Depot, or any good hardware store should have them (meaning, call ahead). Attach this new terminal to the horn wire, plug in as normal. Plug jumper (wire with a female spade terminal at each end) from the new male blade to the new horn blade connector. Same process for the grounding wire, if needed.

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/7 ... -l225.webp
wheatonFJR and bill lumberg loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Yep, the Gen1/2's had two horns, the wiring was already there.... you will have to use what Red suggested and run a home-made two wire harness over to the other side. Not hard, just a "fun" little job. Gen3 eliminated the mounting bracket on the right side too, but the bolt is still there... it screws into the aluminum rad, careful not to strip it... a little loctite, some gentle torque.
bill lumberg loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Rode it to work this morning...it was a brisk 23 degrees
BkerChuck, escapefjrtist, and wheatonFJR loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Did you crank the heated gear? or just go in your shirt sleeves?
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Wow - Joe. You ain't scared of some frozen crapola on the streets?