Forum Software Update pending - February 2020

Forum Guidelines and Information, Status, etc.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Re: Forum Software Update pending - February 2020

Post by bigjohnsd »

Post Thanks, but to really Express your appreciation "Send Money"!
Bounce and CollingsBob loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

gixxerjasen wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:43 am
So, interesting thing though...when the forum was down, I had a persistent notification of one Mr. Bounce liking one of my posts but I obviously couldn't open said post, or clear the notification. When the forum came up, that notification was completely gone. Seems Mr Bounce was one of the last ones acting on the forum. :D

I kid! I mean, yes the annoying notification was there and now it's gone, likely due to some data loss after the last backup I presume.
He may have been. On August 2nd, 2019.

The upgrade failed. The restore function would only restore everything up to 6 months ago. I had to manually restore the database in the backend of the host. Wayne and I tried to get the upgrade in a few different ways, with no success. Each time it failed, we had to go through a restore. It may account for the recurrence of the notification.
gixxerjasen and Bounce loved this
TimDog!
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Tyler wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:34 am
DesignFlaw06 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:55 pmAnother contributing factor was a PM send event where a single user (who shall not be named) sent a single PM to over 1100 members of the board.
It wasn't me... i swear... I'm sad I wasn't one of the 1100... feeling so left out... and while I could take a guess as to who it was, it probably wasn't... (cough. cough, wheaton)... :lol::
I was gonna post the same thing. How can I possibly not be in someone's Top 1100 list? I don't think I even know that many people!
CraigRegs and bigjohnsd loved this
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

gixxerjasen wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:43 am So, interesting thing though...when the forum was down, I had a persistent notification of one Mr. Bounce liking one of my posts but I obviously couldn't open said post, or clear the notification. When the forum came up, that notification was completely gone. Seems Mr Bounce was one of the last ones acting on the forum. :D

I kid! I mean, yes the annoying notification was there and now it's gone, likely due to some data loss after the last backup I presume.
:o :shock: :? :oops: :roll: :?: :| :ugeek: :sherlock: :finger:
Similar. One of the moderator/admins got wind that the owner of the forum was tired of it and was just going to let his account and the domain expire without any notice. He hijacked the forum and took control of the account and domain name. He brought himself before the group as the savior of the forum. There was some dispute over this so he released a notice of new location, and reopened the forum under a new domain. Then he started charging for all sorts of things and opening other similar forums. I presume there was more dispute behind the scenes because a bit later there was a big crash of the forum and well, the backup was corrupt, so we lost everything, content, usernames, etc. Oddly the other new forums did not suffer any of this. During this time he'd also launched on the same platform a motorcycle news publication. It all stunk so I walked away. He's a freaking crook and I'm glad we don't have to deal with that kind of BS over here.
If it's what I think I remember, that sure pissed me off. I didn't know that detail though. WOW! There's far too much BS&T for people to do that to ANY forum.
Bust loved this
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

TIM DOG!

:bowdown:
wheatonFJR and Bust loved this
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
Bust
Veteran
FJRModel: 68' Schwinn Stingray

Post by Bust »

Intech wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:38 am TIM DOG!

:bowdown:
Intech, mi_pjk, LKLD and 2 others loved this
You ever see a grown man naked Billy?