Electrical Codes

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
ice_station_zebra
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008 FJR and 2012 Versys 650 (Tracer GT or Versys 1000 to come)

Electrical Codes

Post by ice_station_zebra »

Question: I cant seem to find the definitions for the color code abbreviations yamaha uses in the wiring diagrams for my 2008 FJR. I have the shop manual. Am I missing something?
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Re: Electrical Codes

Post by ionbeam »

ice_station_zebra wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:51 am Question: I cant seem to find the definitions for the color code abbreviations yamaha uses in the wiring diagrams for my 2008 FJR. I have the shop manual. Am I missing something?
Probably. Look at the right side below:

CollingsBob, wheatonFJR, and ice_station_zebra loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

ISZ, next time I'm out your way, I'll bring you a perty coloured 11x17.
ice_station_zebra loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Thanks, ionbeam. I have the manual, but couldn't find this for the life of me last week. I was thinking Br/L was Brown/Lime. 8-)

Me, holding voltmeter leads to metal pieces in connectors with arms and hands deep into FJR guts: OK, honey turn on the key and see if the voltmeter needle moves.
Lovely bride: Are you really sure, baby?

pause ...

Lovely bride: Nope; nothing. Did you get shocked?

Repeat a half-dozen times each hour, then decide four-pole potentiometer is fried.
Last edited by Uncle Hud on Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

Uncle Hud wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:20 pm ...I was thinking Br/L was Brown/Lime..
It should have been logical and obvious that L = Blue ;)
wheatonFJR, raYzerman, and Uncle Hud loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Man, doesn't everybody know L = Blue or Lb = light blue? Jeez! (Honda has that too).
Mikey, you're not going to be successful until you can post a video of this exercise complete with letting the smoke out. No smoke, ferget it.
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

ionbeam wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:36 pm
Uncle Hud wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:20 pm ...I was thinking Br/L was Brown/Lime..
It should have been logical and obvious that L = Blue ;)
From a quick search I am guessing they originally used B for Black and BL for Blue. Then just shortened blue to L?

You know letter B are expensive to print.
Uncle Hud loved this
ice_station_zebra
Casual Rider

raYzerman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:25 pm Man, doesn't everybody know L = Blue or Lb = light blue? Jeez! (Honda has that too).
Mikey, you're not going to be successful until you can post a video of this exercise complete with letting the smoke out. No smoke, ferget it.
I'll be taking pics and posting them up as soon as I can figure out how to do that. She's 3/4 naked right now and wires are hanging out everywhere in every direction. The wiring color code is great (thanks Ionbeam), but my wife just reminded me I'm color blind so this could get very interesting and smokey! :shock:
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

ice_station_zebra wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:10 pm
raYzerman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:25 pm Man, doesn't everybody know L = Blue or Lb = light blue? Jeez! (Honda has that too).
I'll be taking pics and posting them up as soon as I can figure out how to do that. She's 3/4 naked right now and wires are hanging out everywhere in every direction. The wiring color code is great (thanks Ionbeam), but my wife just reminded me I'm color blind so this could get very interesting and smokey! :shock:
I suggest you short circuit it now and be done with it.
raYzerman and ice_station_zebra loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

ice_station_zebra wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:10 pm ...my wife just reminded me I'm color blind so this could get very interesting...
1. What are you attempting to do? You've got my curiosity going.

2. Get thyself to the Ishihara color blindness test so you will know what colors you can't see and then know when to say, "Dear, please come here, I'm useless and need you to bail me out." ;) Then she can show you the wires with the colors you can't see. The color deficiency test will have 38 plates with background color dots and dots in the center of a different color which may be a number or a shape which you can see only if you have no deficiency in those colors. The plates with colors that you are deficient in you won't see anything. The plates should sort out color deficiencies in red, green and blue and different hues. They look like this:

My father was terribly color deficient. We know someone that received some (expensive) EnChroma glasses and he was one of the ~40% that the glasses almost completely corrected the color deficiencies. His family told him to buy a car because it was such a nice color [in the model type he was looking at]. It was the first thing he looked at when he put his EnChroma glasses on. He gasped and was stunned by the sight. One of the few rare moments when things actually do go right.
wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

My wife has green/brown issues and has passed that down to some of our kids. It was a hurdle for one of my kids when they went to take an eye test for employment.

Good luck to the OP on your wiring work.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
ice_station_zebra
Casual Rider

ionbeam wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:48 pm
ice_station_zebra wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:10 pm ...my wife just reminded me I'm color blind so this could get very interesting...
1. What are you attempting to do? You've got my curiosity going.

2. Get thyself to the Ishihara color blindness test so you will know what colors you can't see and then know when to say, "Dear, please come here, I'm useless and need you to bail me out." ;) Then she can show you the wires with the colors you can't see. The color deficiency test will have 38 plates with background color dots and dots in the center of a different color which may be a number or a shape which you can see only if you have no deficiency in those colors. The plates with colors that you are deficient in you won't see anything. The plates should sort out color deficiencies in red, green and blue and different hues. They look like this:

My father was terribly color deficient. We know someone that received some (expensive) EnChroma glasses and he was one of the ~40% that the glasses almost completely corrected the color deficiencies. His family told him to buy a car because it was such a nice color [in the model type he was looking at]. It was the first thing he looked at when he put his EnChroma glasses on. He gasped and was stunned by the sight. One of the few rare moments when things actually do go right.
Back in the '70's I was working on the assembly line at Ford installing window cranks and trunk locks...walking 8 miles backwards everyday! My supervisor asked me if I would be interested in working in the paint department and I jumped at the chance to get off the line. But first, he say's " you have to get your eyes tested"?! I'm 20 years old....no problem. THEY LAUGHED AT ME! No to the paint department or anything electrical, and back to the line for me. Others had filled my old job so I ended up with the only thing that was left...installing the rear speakers in Mercury Marquis. So, I am certifiable red / green color blind. I took the test and and have retaken it over the years and I still see nothing in those dots above. I do see primary colors fine, but only about 4 shades of red. And I can't use red golf tees either! Fortunately my wife is an amazing artist who enjoys a good laugh so she's always willing to help me. Failing that I can maybe throw a life-line out to Rayzerman :roll:
wheatonFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Here's your lifeline..... Red Green is one of my favourite guys!!
ice_station_zebra and wheatonFJR loved this