Accessing Gen I ECU Data

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Accessing Gen I ECU Data

Post by NTXFJR »

Can anyone tell me how to access the multi function display and/or ecu parameters on a gen I ? I don't have the manual for it. It was brought up in the other sandbox the possibility that the ecu records mileage regardless of whether the meter has been replaced or not. Anyone know if this is true? My son and I have suspected for a while now that the meter on his '04 was replaced at some point. Thanks
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Re: Accessing Gen I ECU Data

Post by ionbeam »

How To Access The Diagnostic Screen:

Place your FJR on the center stand, neutral, side stand up. This will let you test the side stand switch.

With the key off and the red Run switch ON, press and hold the "Select" and "Reset" buttons simultaneously and turn the key on (do not start, just ON), continue to hold the buttons until the display next to the fuel gauge says diAG (5-10 seconds). If someone has performed the Barbarian Jumper modification at the ECU connector the first screen will be CO for the CO offset adjustment, the diAG screen will be the next function.

Release the two buttons. Now, press the "Select" and "Reset" buttons simultaneously again. After ~ 2 seconds the display should show dI:01 on top and a two digit number at the bottom. dI:01 is the diagnostic code number. The two digits at the bottom of the meter is the value for the diagnostic code number. Diagnostic Code dI:01 lets you look at the throttle position sensor (TPS) output. The TPS value is the two digits at the bottom of the display. Turning the throttle will change the bottom two digits. Normal is 15-17 with the throttle closed and 97 to 100 with the throttle wide open. This is an example of how the dI:xx top and bottom two digit data works.

Press "Select" to increment the diAG sequence number and press "Reset" to decrement the diAG sequence number. At code dI:09 the fuel system voltage will be displayed and you should hear the fuel pump turn on. Expect to see roughly 11.7 to 12.4 displayed on the bottom, this is the battery voltage to the fuel pump. A reading like 00.1 would indicate a blown fuse or broken wire.

There are also 'Actuator' codes that let you turn on things like radiator fan relay and the fuel pump relay as well as firing the coils and injectors. The Actuator codes are enabled by switching the red Run/Stop switch on the handlebars Off then back On again.
Last edited by ionbeam on Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cav47, NTXFJR, and wheatonFJR loved this
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

Gen I Codes:

Fault Codes:

Diagnostic Codes:

Sensor Codes:

Actuator Codes:

==================================================================================

Gen II Codes:

Last edited by ionbeam on Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NTXFJR and wheatonFJR loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

NTXFJR wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:25 pm Can anyone tell me how to access the multi function display and/or ecu parameters on a gen I ? I don't have the manual for it. It was brought up in the other sandbox the possibility that the ecu records mileage regardless of whether the meter has been replaced or not. Anyone know if this is true? My son and I have suspected for a while now that the meter on his '04 was replaced at some point. Thanks
Don't think that the ECU stores mileage and if it does, you can't get to it via diagnostic display. If it did, it wouldn't also be stored in the dashboard display as well. When he bought the bike, was there evidence that the true mileage was very different from the display? i.e. brake pad wear, shifter rubber, rotor wear, footpeg wear, general "patina" etc. Even headlight replacement requirement can be an indicator if the OEM bulbs are still in it or not.
NTXFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Ionbeam- the keeper of all insanely important information.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

Awesome post Alan. Thanks for the perfect answer!
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Not sure if the Gen1 has a diagnostic port the dealer hooks his laptop to, but I'd guess that's the only way to retrieve mileage info if it's there. I do know of cluster replacements where the mileage was zero. One could also ask a dealer for service history (if done at a dealer) from the VIN. Last dealer service mileage should be in the history?
NTXFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

The mileage is stored in the meter assembly and is not accessible or able to be modified. Yamaha had an early Gen II meter assembly campaign which replaced the entire meter assembly. The dealers were instructed by Yamaha to write the original mileage on stickers and put it on the inside of the glove box lid and/or put the sticker in the owner's manual. The replacement meter assemblies started at 000000 miles.

As a bank-shot, you can go to diAG #70 and see the software revision (control number) and compare it against another '04 and see if the revision is out of sequence from other similar age FJRs. You may have to beg for help on the internet ;) to have other '04 owners give you the build number off the VIN (last 6 digits) and the revision from diAG #70. From that you can determine build sequence vs software revision.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

I have updated a previous post here to include Gen II codes along with the tables of Gen I codes.