Drive shaft service, been putting if off for too long.

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Drive shaft service, been putting if off for too long.

Post by NTXFJR »

I've been putting off servicing my drive line and with 40k on the bike now I decided to take a look at it today since I had the wheels off for new rubber anyway. After what I discovered while in there, I will no longer be putting this off going forward. In some of the write ups I read, some mentioned they had decided to check this every time they swap rubber, I'm thinking for my bike, maybe every 20k miles or the nearest tire swap to it sounds about right. There are some great links showing how to do this procedure. The one I ran across has ScooterG's name on it:

http://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/spline/Sk ... ng101.html

Apparently there has been some history over this issue where bikes come out of the factory with insufficient lube. What I found on mine today was zero lube, everything was dry as a bone with nothing in there but heat induced rust. Wth Yamaha? They design a 1st class piece of machinery and they are too cheap to put some spline lube in there on the assembly line? I"m kicking myself now for putting this off for so long. In the end, it seems it was caught early enough before any real damage was done. The write up mentioned using Honda Moly 60 paste, I didn't have any on hand so I picked up some moly grease locally and will have the good Honda stuff on the shelf for next time.

Steel_Gin and Bounce loved this
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: Drive shaft service, been putting if off for too long.

Post by raYzerman »

Despite the lack of grease, there is little risk of damage. The driveshaft is spring-loaded at the back end and is constantly holding the u-joint under full engagement regardless of swingarm travel. This will result in little movement/wear in the longtitudinal direction, with minor wear in the rotational direction, fortunately. I hate this too, hate seeing rust. Any grease will do, but of course, we all want the best and use moly. Mostly the grease is just preventing corrosion.
PhilJet09, NTXFJR, bungie4 and 1 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

I'm glad to see you did "both" procedures. Most people pull the drive shaft, bitch and never pull the universal joint.
NTXFJR and Bounce loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

raYzerman wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:12 am Despite the lack of grease, there is little risk of damage. The driveshaft is spring-loaded at the back end and is constantly holding the u-joint under full engagement regardless of swingarm travel. This will result in little movement/wear in the longtitudinal direction, with minor wear in the rotational direction, fortunately. I hate this too, hate seeing rust. Any grease will do, but of course, we all want the best and use moly. Mostly the grease is just preventing corrosion.
Stop using logic and reason. OMFG Yamaha WTF!! :D

Funny, my 100,000 mile looked exactly like your never lubed 20K one. By the way, wtf is heat induced rust? Rust is oxidation, which really is slow burning. Rust IS heat.
raYzerman, NTXFJR, bill lumberg and 1 others loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran

Post by NTXFJR »

Some of you Canucks seem to have heat on the brain lately, wazzup wid dat?? :D

Update: I've had her out on a couple of shake down runs now and the bike is silky smooth at all speeds again. This is something I've been missing since YFO '17 in Cali where it developed a harmonic shudder at speeds above 40 mph but most pronounced at around 50 mph and had no clue where it was coming from. Whatever the mechanics were that were involved, the bottom line is that since doing this service, it is now gone.
Last edited by NTXFJR on Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bounce loved this

IBA # 65427
Canadian FJR
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018 FJR-1300ES, 2010 Ural Gear Up, 2003
Yamaha FJR-1300, 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650 (Gone to a new home), 1997 Suzuki TL-1000s (Gone but not forgotten), 1976 Honda 400 Four, 1968 Honda C-50 Step-thru

Post by Canadian FJR »

I clean and re-grease mine every winter. I was extremely surprised and disappointed with the amount of rust on mine last winter with only one season and 23,000 km on the clock.

Canadian FJR
Bounce and NTXFJR loved this
Road Runner
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR Advanced Edition

Post by Road Runner »

NTXFJR wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:48 pm Some of you Canucks seem to have heat on the brain lately, wazzup wid dat?? :D

Update: I've had her out on a couple of shake down runs now and the bike is silky smooth at all speeds again. This is something I've been missing since YFO '17 in Cali where it developed a harmonic shudder at speeds above 40 mph but most pronounced at around 50 mph and had no clue where it was coming from. Whatever the mechanics were that were involved, the bottom line is that since doing this service, it is now gone.
Well the bad news is, if greasing made it better then it will be back as soon as the grease is pushed out from the splines. Which happens fairly quickly after done.
wheatonFJR and NTXFJR loved this
"A biker never knows" - Tim Allen

Art
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

The flow of grease from fittings under pressure is what moly grease was designed for.
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

That's all I got when it comes to grease
NTXFJR and wheatonFJR loved this
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran

Post by NTXFJR »

Some grease might ooze out over time, but I don’t think much will be pushed out under pressure as there really isn’t any pressure in there. I think the grease mostly swishes from one side of the splines to the other during acceleration and deceleration and that having a lubed transition in there is better then a dry crusty one. I’ve seen splined industrial motor couplings seize up with rust so badly that they wouldn’t come back apart and anti seize compound stopped that issue. I doubt the torque imposed on our fjr drivelines are that extreme but I still think it’s easier on components in the long run to keep things slick and fluid. The grease may dry up or go away but periodic pm’s can take care of that.
Bounce and rbentnail loved this

IBA # 65427
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Exactly how many FJR shaft drives have failed due to corrosion or lack of sufficient lubrication? (I haven't heard of any failures but remember someone talking about what they thought was excessive play in the u-joint.)

In almost 200,000 miles on my '07, I cleaned and lightly greased the shaft, drive splines and u-joint exactly once. Removed a bit of surface rust that time and added the coating of grease to inhibit further rust formation. Checked it every couple years but never felt it needed anything done to it. Very light rust patina and no evidence of wear in the splines.
bill lumberg, D-Eagle, and jwilly loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Yeah - this is one of those issues that will likely never get resolved. I'm from the … "Probably is a waste of time. But well - it can't hurt. It probably doesn't matter, but doing it makes me feel better." ….camp.
bill lumberg, Bounce, and D-Eagle loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

blind squirrel
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014

Post by blind squirrel »

bungie4 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:40 am Rust is oxidation, which really is slow burning. Rust IS heat.
Oxidation is any chemical reaction that involves the moving of electrons. Specifically, it means the substance that gives away electrons is oxidized.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxidation
"That feeling is your taint telling you, 'this is a bad idea...'" - extrememarine
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

blind squirrel wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:10 pm
bungie4 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:40 am Rust is oxidation, which really is slow burning. Rust IS heat.
Oxidation is any chemical reaction that involves the moving of electrons. Specifically, it means the substance that gives away electrons is oxidized.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxidation
Mr. Science explaination deleted.

Ya, your right...
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

LEO says GER

Loss of electrons is oxidation. (Rusting or burning)
Gain of electrons is reduction. (i.e. electroplating)
Bounce and NTXFJR loved this
kliembiddle
Squid
FJRModel: 2015 fjr

Post by kliembiddle »

Road Runner wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:53 am
NTXFJR wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:48 pm Some of you Canucks seem to have heat on the brain lately, wazzup wid dat?? :D

Well the bad news is, if greasing made it better then it will be back as soon as the grease is pushed out from the splines. Which happens fairly quickly after done.
John Deere corn head grease...hard to push it around... :o
wheatonFJR and NTXFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

That'll work.... once done, it will last quite a while... not a bad idea for once a year or so, or at some convenient rear tire change.....
Bounce and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran

Post by rbentnail »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:21 pm That'll work.... once done, it will last quite a while... not a bad idea for once a year or so, or at some convenient rear tire change.....
MHO, waste of time doing it that often. I disassemble mine once every two or three yrs, whenever the splooge needs to be cleaned from the side stand springs/pivot or the shift pedal linkages need a clean and lube. When running a car tire there is no convenient time for a rear tire change for 2 or 3 yrs at a time.
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

Wouldn't it be more mileage dependent? One person's "every 3 years" might be someone else's "every 3 months".
NTXFJR loved this
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran

Post by rbentnail »

Bounce wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:16 am Wouldn't it be more mileage dependent? One person's "every 3 years" might be someone else's "every 3 months".
I think not so much mileage as usage. Desert riders need not do it as often as we here in the southeast riding in rain often and with many dirt roads. At the extreme, thrice in the past 2 yrs I've been in hurricanes with deep standing water and still the driveshaft lube is holding up well.

https://www.grainger.com/product/2F138? ... IDPPLARECS