Across the Pond 2021

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
SkooterG
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004 X 2, 2009 X 2, 2013 X2, 2014, 2017, 2023...... I have issues!

Across the Pond 2021

Post by SkooterG »

It's been two years since I have seen my POS Gen II 2009 FJR that is stored in Germany. I't been suffering from neglect, a lack of love, and loneliness. Well, f*** Covid! It was time to remedy this situation. So here's my ongoing ride report. I'll try to update as often as I can but don't hold your breath.

Here's a link to my Google Photos Europe 2021 album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tjxxTdNeLg24ADAZ9

Here's a link to my Spotwalla page showing my track. Right now it doesn't seem to be working very well: https://tinyurl.com/4cwu4zcn

My three week adventure started September 15th with an uncrowded flight to Frankfurt. Unfortunately I got zero sleep on the plane and arrived at Knopf Tours where my FJR is stored in Heidelberg, Germany on the morning of the 16th completely exhausted. But after two years, some Moto maintenance had to be done. I got a late start on my adventure on the morning of the 17th and after a short blitz on the autobahn I headed for Germany's Black Forest. Due to my own struggles with preparation and what technology to use for route planning I ended up riding some great roads, and some not so great roads. Lessons learned from my previous trip had to be re-learned. I'm getting there.

My Moto all serviced and ready to go outside my room at the Knopf Moto BnB:

Day 1: The Black Forest of Germany:

My German isn't very good but I think this means a metric shitload of fun ahead:

End of day at a really nice small hotel in the middle of nowhere at the southern end of the Black Forest:

Day 2: Switzerland!

A short ride to the border of Switzerland and then riding the Swiss countryside. Eventually hitting the edge of the Swiss Alps, and then crossing into France just before stopping for the night. I finally started to get my tech groove on. Instead of trying to pick routes on roads I know nothing about I went back to what worked on my last trip: The app Kurviger Pro. Plug in a destination and let it route on some awesome twisty roads with some gnarly goat trail roads thrown in for good measure. Just don't expect to get there soon.

For example, here are some of those single lane width goat trail roads in the middle of nowhere it routes you on. Usually, great fun.... And no, those are not driveways. Those are roads. You got to love Europe!

Look closely in front of my FJR. Houston, we have a problem. Can't really tell, but this was steep downhill. How the f*** do I turn around on this goat trail of a road? Long story for another time, but 45 minutes later I was on my way relatively unscathed.

Yes, that is vegetation on the roof. WTF?

My midpoint destination: Restaurant Gabelspitz. Loved the Strawberry desert I had two years ago so I just had to come back to this popular moto spot. Yes, that is one hell of a journey for some strawberries! The awesome roads in the area make it that much sweeter.

Check out the desert menu:

And of course I spoiled myself and just had to have the 'Yamaha' on top of my Strawberry delight!

After waddling back to my FJR and struggling to get into my Stitch suit it was more of the awesome Swiss countryside. And their fantastic roads! Yes, my understanding is that the Swiss taxes are high, but oh, those beautiful, smooth ribbons of asphalt! Moto heaven I tell ya!

The Kurviger Pro route on my phone with turn by turn directions.

And those wonderful roads.....

You will come to find out that I try to take a photo of every pass that I cross. This sign had to do for the Jaunpass.

On rare occasion, Kurviger Pro will try to mess with you. I declined it's attempt to route me down this road.

Another pass.....

And, also crossing a border.

One more pass, unfortunately in the dark of the night, before stopping for the night. In France, the word for mountain pass is "Col".

Day 3: The Start of the French Alps

One of my plans for this trip was to spend some quality time in the French Alps. An area I really did not explore my last trip. I came up with a route on Google My Maps before I left. Now referencing that route I plugged into the app CoPilot GPS on my phone for on the fly routing. No Kurviger Pro since I had already come up with a route hitting lots of tasty French Alp passes. F***ing Google. They are so awesome at so many things *EXCEPT making a custom route with lots of waypoints and then getting real time route directions. Bastards.

Here is a link for my planned route in Google My Maps. How do you embed a photo, or the graphic representation of the map in a thread?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 000029&z=8

Today was a short day. After a beautiful day yesterday, the rain started in the middle of the night. It was forecast to be solid for two days with cool temps. Not the best high pass weather. That sapped my motivation and I didn't get on the road until REALLY late. I had two hours of pretty constant light rain and then during a food stop the skies opened and the last few hours of my day were nice as I crossed my first major French Alp pass, the Col de la Madeleine. A bit cool - 40 degrees at the 6500' summit. And some scenic clouds still left in the area from the day's stormy weather.

Last edited by SkooterG on Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LKLD, juniorfjr, fontanaman and 15 others loved this
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

IBA #327

'04 FJR -- '09 FJR -- '13 FJR -- '14 FJR ES -- '17 FJR ES - What can I say? I have issues!
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Re: Across the Pond 2021

Post by bigjohnsd »

Obviously you healed up in time for your International Boogerfest.

By the way, You Suck! JSNS
How the f*** do I turn around on this goat trail of a road?
Spin it on the side stand like you would your GS-Duhh
Uncle Hud and wheatonFJR loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Fuckin A you bastard!

Awesome!
Bugnatr, escapefjrtist, and Abercrombie FJR loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
sacramentomike
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by sacramentomike »

Glad I'm not the only one hating your right now. Hey, you seem to have some photography chops!

Let's see more.
escapefjrtist and wheatonFJR loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Very nice. I've looked into the ship and store thing like that as I'd really like to go tour my birth country by motorcycle. Just have to figure out how to renew my plates without an annual inspection.

Great photos, looking forward to more.

Question, if you ordered the Harley Davidson ice cream, do they drizzle chocolate syrup on the table under the bowl?
Intech, CraigRegs, sacramentomike and 2 others loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

Jealous. As. Hell. Keep us posted, enjoy the trip Skoot!

~G
wheatonFJR loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

Two words: Calendar worthy! Simply awesome.
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
T-Rex51
Squid
FJRModel: Honda CB1000R

Post by T-Rex51 »

Hey there, you might remember me from a few years back. I ran the Italian FJR forum and got to ride with a few of y'all, including the one and only SkooterG. I still wear an FJR ballcap, but I now ride a Honda.

You might even recall that I live in Northern Italy—in the greater Milan area—with a fine view of the Western Alps.

I was standing on my west-facing terrace last night as it got dark when I sensed a great disturbance in the force.
And I suddenly knew! "SkooterG is out there" I said to myself as 15,000-foot Monte Rosa slowly disappeared in the gloom.

Not long after that Skoot sent me a WhatsApp video of himself in the falling snow from the Iseran Pass in France. He was out there.

Yes, he's going to be here soon. I'll leave it up to him to reveal where our forthcoming ride will take us—I wouldn't want to snow on his parade.

Stay tuned.
twistedcricket, LeeDavis, fontanaman and 10 others loved this
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Hi Mr. Teerex!
T-Rex51 loved this
T-Rex51
Squid

Post by T-Rex51 »

Hey Wheatie! Good to be here with you folks (again). 8-)
wheatonFJR loved this
mi_pjk
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2014 A

Post by mi_pjk »

That's some stellar stuff, the riding AND the photos. Thanks for bringing us along.
Assfaulticus Slabtasticleese
'14A, '10 XCW 450, '96 XR4, Sportsman 600 (plow), Recon 250 (D1)
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

T-Rex51 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:32 am Hey Wheatie! Good to be here with you folks (again). 8-)
Well Mr Teerex, I hate to “booger” up one of the few times our friend SkooterG contributes to this board, so I will just sit back and wait for more awesomeness to commence.
SkooterG
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004 X 2, 2009 X 2, 2013 X2, 2014, 2017, 2023...... I have issues!

Post by SkooterG »

Hey! Who let that Italian gigolo into this place? He is a bad man who encourages all sorts of misbehavior! I was a shy, unsuspecting angel before I met him and he corrupted me. Jes saying....
Niehart and T-Rex51 loved this
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

IBA #327

'04 FJR -- '09 FJR -- '13 FJR -- '14 FJR ES -- '17 FJR ES - What can I say? I have issues!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

SkooterG wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:24 pm Hey! Who let that Italian gigolo into this place? He is a bad man who encourages all sorts of misbehavior! I was a shy, unsuspecting angel before I met him and he corrupted me. Jes saying....
That's more information than we needed to know. :lol:

But carry on... :stickpoke:
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

Good stuff. Keep it coming!
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

SkooterG wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:24 pm Hey! Who let that Italian gigolo into this place? He is a bad man who encourages all sorts of misbehavior! I was a shy, unsuspecting angel before I met him and he corrupted me. Jes saying....
I wasn't aware ya'll knew each other in preschool.
Niehart loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

Good stuff Skoot...been stalking you on Spotwalla! Nice to see Teerex here too, at least you'll have one adult on your travels! ;-)

~G
wheatonFJR loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
T-Rex51
Squid

Post by T-Rex51 »

Hey everyone, SkooterG and I are back from our Euro-ride.
He'll be crossing the pond tomorrow on his way home, while I'm back into my day-to-day routine in Milan.

We had a great time and can't wait to share some pics with y'all. 8-)
SkooterG, escapefjrtist, N4HHE and 3 others loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Excellent ride report SkooterG. Thanks for sharing.
T-Rex51
Squid

Post by T-Rex51 »

While I'm still sorting out video and photo files from the Two-Island Ride I just completed with SkooterG, I thought I'd give you a sneak peek on a forthcoming video (which will take a while to complete). The two islands in question were Corsica and Sardinia—the former French, the latter Italian.
These are our rides (2009 FJR1300 & 2018 CB1000R) waiting to board the ferry in Toulon (F)

This is Corsica's own beer, Birra Pietra

Early morning in Northern Corsica

The waterfront at Saint Florent, Northern Corsica

Calvi (Northwestern Corsica), viewed from the Citadel

Calvi, town center

Porto, Western Corsica

Sunset in Bonifacio, Southern Corsica

Alghero (NW Sardinia) the old town's waterfront

Alghero, the old town

Traditional Lateen rig in Calasetta (SW Sardinia)

Northern California? Nope, Western Sardinia

Stintino, NW Sardinia

La Maddalena Island, NE Sardinia
CraigRegs, LKLD, escapefjrtist and 4 others loved this