GixxerJasen goes to California, and other places...

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Re: GixxerJasen goes to California, and other places...

Post by gixxerjasen »

BkerChuck wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:10 am Awesome report and it just further nudges me towards a westward trip of my own.

I've been blessed enough to have met quite a few of these RR authors over the past few years but there are still some folks here left to shake hands with and Jasen is on that list. I passed a windscreen on to him a couple of years back and think he might still owe me a drink when we meet.
You did indeed. Man that was a lot of sanding, still need to do some more plus polishing one day. It's served me well in a few situations including a trackday. Super shorty shield.

bigjohnsd and BkerChuck loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:42 pm
gixxerjasen wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:48 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:25 pm I’m also gonna wager on a long shot that the former FJR rider you met in Montrose was a character named pinhead who used to be on the forums. Back in 2008 at the first NAFO a group of us met him in Gunnison. At the time he worked in Crested Butte. I believe later, he helped Beemerdons organize the first SW-FOG or two. That’s just my guess, though I think it’s a good one from your description.
You wouldn't happen to remember his real (non-forum) name would you? Looks like Dave something.
It’s been 13 years since I saw him in Gunnison… but I did a ride report on the FJR board at the time with a photo of him. For some reason I’m banned from that board, so I cannot point you to that photo…but it should be in that report.
If Pinhead is the guy...he must have heard you talking about him. He just made his first post here I believe. Pinhead! You might send him a PM to confirm he was the guy?
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:20 pm If Pinhead is the guy...
That covers a lot of people on this site, doesn't it? :mrgreen:
wheatonFJR loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:20 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:42 pm
gixxerjasen wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:48 pm
You wouldn't happen to remember his real (non-forum) name would you? Looks like Dave something.
It’s been 13 years since I saw him in Gunnison… but I did a ride report on the FJR board at the time with a photo of him. For some reason I’m banned from that board, so I cannot point you to that photo…but it should be in that report.
If Pinhead is the guy...he must have heard you talking about him. He just made his first post here I believe. Pinhead! You might send him a PM to confirm he was the guy?
I pinged him over on the other sandbox and he responded, it wasn't him. But that's probably what prompted him to pop back in here.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

Pinhead
Squid
FJRModel: 2004

Post by Pinhead »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:25 pm Excellent write up.

I’m gonna wager that the FJR rider named Dan was dcumpian from Virginia. I just introduced myself to him in the parking lot Thursday night, although we have been at meets out east.

I’m also gonna wager on a long shot that the former FJR rider you met in Montrose was a character named pinhead who used to be on the forums. Back in 2008 at the first NAFO a group of us met him in Gunnison. At the time he worked in Crested Butte. I believe later, he helped Beemerdons organize the first SW-FOG or two. That’s just my guess, though I think it’s a good one from your description.
Great write-up, GixxerJasen. And no Wheatie, wasn't me in Montrose, though I am still in Gunnison. And I am not a former FJR rider. I still got one, and I still ride it. ;)
bigjohnsd, gixxerjasen, Bugnatr and 2 others loved this
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

Excellent report Jasen, great to visit with you in Colorado and California.

BTW we never pay the park fee in Death Valley. The rangers do not check for them and you have a pass but thanks for your donation :D
gixxerjasen loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Pinhead wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:07 pm Great write-up, GixxerJasen. And no Wheatie, wasn't me in Montrose, though I am still in Gunnison. And I am not a former FJR rider. I still got one, and I still ride it. ;)
Thanks and welcome aboard over here. You still got the FJR, so stick around, don't let the fact that we let Wheatie hang out here cause you to run off. :D
Bugnatr and wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog

danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Excellent RR!
gixxerjasen loved this
Tyler
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 CanAm Spyder ST

Post by Tyler »

Just getting caught up on things over here given I'm out on the east coast for about six weeks... loved being able to share some of my local world with you, Jasen... hope it's the first of more trips soon cause there's so much to see and do out that way... just ask Jason/jwilly! ;)
gixxerjasen loved this
"Spend time with those who make you better." ~Anonymous
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

I'll be back for sure. Maybe on a bike, maybe in other very fuel efficient ways.
My Blog

Tyler
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Tyler »

gixxerjasen wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:30 pm I'll be back for sure. Maybe on a bike, maybe in other very fuel efficient ways.
Just come back however you can... <3
gixxerjasen loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I'm only on Day 11, but I can't wait any longer. I've got to chime in.

This is good. Not "thanks for posting" good. Not "I rode there and ate that" good. Really fricking good.

THIS is what we dream about. When the real world is bitch slapping us, THIS is what pulls us through. The opportunity to adventure and discover. To explore and to ride. To have those "a-ha" moments. And for those who have seen what he's seen, this is a awesome opportunity to reflect on our own trip, and to be happy - TRULY happy that our friend got to do it.

A man that sits at home has no worldly view.

This is very good, indeed.
twistedcricket, Cav47, gixxerjasen and 1 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Hppants wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:39 pm I'm only on Day 11, but I can't wait any longer. I've got to chime in.

This is good. Not "thanks for posting" good. Not "I rode there and ate that" good. Really fricking good.

THIS is what we dream about. When the real world is bitch slapping us, THIS is what pulls us through. The opportunity to adventure and discover. To explore and to ride. To have those "a-ha" moments. And for those who have seen what he's seen, this is a awesome opportunity to reflect on our own trip, and to be happy - TRULY happy that our friend got to do it.

I mean it's good, but it's not Bear Humping good... :mrgreen:
twistedcricket, Cav47, Hppants and 3 others loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Hppants wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:39 pm I'm only on Day 11, but I can't wait any longer. I've got to chime in.

You, Mr. Frownypants, and Pops trip sure did inspire a lot of this. The shortcut for that RR lived on my desktop for a long time and I'd pop it open and plan and scheme some more. I'm quite happy that things finally came together to make it happen. RR's are great for entertainment, but they can also serve to help you plan your own adventure. For instance, I'm pretty sure anyone who read this and is planning on camping at the Grand Canyon will make sure they are fully showered upon arrival. :D
Redfish, CraigRegs, Cav47 and 2 others loved this
My Blog

Panman
FJRModel: 2007

Post by Panman »

Wow is what I say, this has been a great enjoyable read! I rode the trifecta and really didn't get to talk much to you till Bridgeport and found you to be a great guy! When I complained about my troubles reading my GPS you sought me out and showed me the great feature's of your XT then just talking and getting to know you.
I started reading this when I got home but my time constraints really held me back. Frist week back I replace our gate operator and controls and the second week hosting guest's from out of town and getting the M/H loaded and ready for five weeks on the coast and left this last Monday. Today it rained all morning so I started at the beginning and read the whole report.
I smiled all morning enjoying the read and your memories of the ride and my own.
Thanks for a good read, Pan.
Redfish and wheatonFJR loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

To repeat with fond affection: This was good stuff, man.

Truly a trip of a lifetime that you will remember forever.

Well done, sir.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Panman wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:32 pm Wow is what I say, this has been a great enjoyable read! I rode the trifecta and really didn't get to talk much to you till Bridgeport and found you to be a great guy! When I complained about my troubles reading my GPS you sought me out and showed me the great feature's of your XT then just talking and getting to know you.
It was good meeting you as well. I'm a cheap bastard so when I spend big money on something expensive and brand new I'm eager to show it off, so it was my pleasure to help you out. Hopefully I didn't end up costing you too much money in the end.

Thanks Pants, hopefully you enjoyed reading it as much as I've enjoyed yours. Now, if you can stop being befuddled by modern technology, maybe you can get an RR out there too. ;)
My Blog

Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Damn fine writing, young man. Gotta get my bike to California again and do that state the way you did.
gixxerjasen and Tyler loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
Tyler
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Tyler »

Uncle Hud wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:11 am Damn fine writing, young man. Gotta get my bike to California again and do that state the way you did.
You know you'll get some good intel from a friend or two... ;) :D
Uncle Hud loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Tyler wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:37 am
Uncle Hud wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:11 am Damn fine writing, young man. Gotta get my bike to California again and do that state the way you did.
You know you'll get some good intel from a friend or two... ;) :D
Forget intel, just let her lead.
twistedcricket and Tyler loved this
My Blog