The Dilemma of the Climb

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

The Dilemma of the Climb

Post by Hppants »

Sometimes you get direction when you least expect it.

As I ride in the heavy humid morning air, I’ve got some things on my mind today. Most noteworthy is what happened to my friend Barney. We go way back, and used to be related through marriage, although it might take me 3 tries to explain that. Well, my sister got divorced years ago and now we are just friends. Barney has ridden motorcycles for years. He rides Harleys and I know him to be a very good and experienced rider. Unfortunately, as we all know, sometimes experience is not enough. Earlier in the week, a delivery driver pulled out right in front of Barney and sideswiped him. The impact was severe and Barney has serious injuries. He’s had one surgery and will need at least 2 more. To be sure, the recovery will be long and painful.

I’ve been thinking about Barney and the risk he and all of us take every time we throw a leg over the motorcycle. Sometimes that risk is not very apparent, but today, at least for me, it surely is. That reality is hitting me hard. We do everything we can to mitigate our risk, but sometimes, it’s just not enough. And the other thing is this: if someone else’s (or our own) stupidity takes us out – completely out, then while tragic, we leave our loved ones behind without burden. But what if it happens like Barney’s accident – he’ll recover, but not without a TON of inconvenient support for a LONG time by the people he loves?

So today I’m riding along the back roads of south Louisiana. I’ve ridden these roads hundreds of times. I know these curves like the back of my hand. And yet, I’m feeling a bit spooked. Barney’s accident has got me a bit gun shy. I’m looking at this same pavement, and for the first time in a long time, I’m questioning whether the juice is worth the squeeze.

Then out of nowhere, my ear buds start what is arguably the greatest song of my lifetime. And it all started to make sense again.

I found a tree by the brook (Bayou) where a songbird sang, and I started to think that my thoughts were misgiven. And it made me wonder.

As I rode to the west, I saw the rings of smoke through the trees. And I heard the voices of my fellow riders who stood looking.

Without doubt, the new day had dawned, and the forest echo’d in laughter. But sill, it makes me wonder.

So there was a bustle in my hedgerow, but the more I rode, the less I became alarmed. After all, there’s still time to change the road I’m on.

My head was indeed humming, but I can’t hear the piper calling me. I do hear the wind blow, and indeed I absolutely do know, my stairway most certainly lies on this whispering wind.

And as I’m winding down the road, my shadow’s is with me, watching my soul. The world is wonderful through the helmet shield, turning everything to gold. I’m listening very hard, and I can hear and see that all is one, and one is all.

I got home before noon, about 175 miles for the day. After lunch, I wiped the bugs off the bike and with a cold beer in hand, I sat down on my shop chair to reflect. I’m older and wiser, well aware of the risk and the possible consequences. But the reward is still well worth it. I hope that continues for the foreseeable future, yet I know there are no guarantees.

For now, I’ll just watch the stairway respectfully from a distance.

Stay thirsty, my friends…..
fontanaman, 1911, NTXFJR and 11 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Re: The Dilemma of the Climb

Post by LKLD »

Firstly, well wishes for Barney and his recovery.

I really liked, and understood, this RR, Joey. You really have a way with words, and their structure. Kudos to you, my friend.

I hope you continue to have miles of smiles, while listening to the whispering wind.
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: The Dilemma of the Climb

Post by wheatonFJR »

I understand. At some point we all understand. This time last year, I was riding, but joyless, feeling empty. Told Louanne many times that I was close to being done. In fact, if she had said anything, I would have been. I was like a leaf falling in a forest, not knowing which way I would land...the slightest breeze determining my fate.

Last Halloween, took a ride with a good friend. Had the time of my life, shadows of doubt gone.

Glad that shit is over with. I look forward to my ride to NAFO in a month. I may die on my bike, but as much living and experiencing as I do on my bike...the sights seen, the roads ridden, the friends made, I will consider it a trade off well worth making.
1911, Festus, and NTXFJR loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey