May Day Ride - a serendipitous adventure! - Link Fixed

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

May Day Ride - a serendipitous adventure! - Link Fixed

Post by bigjohnsd »

I left the house this morning having absolutely no idea where I intended to go.
I thought about making my Bighorns Loop but with weax coming from the West I didn't want to run into snow at high altitude on the two passes.

Instead, I worked my way north and east to Broadus MT - "The Wavingest Town" with the intention of eating breakfast at the sole cafe in town. The cafe was jammed - 20 pickups and 5 semis parked in front and a line out the door.

I headed down MT/WY 59, a road I had never ridden, to Gillette WY and a later breakfast.

After French Toast in Gillette, served by a masked waiter in an unmasked restaurant, I got a call from one of the few guys in the BMW group that actually rides. He wanted to meet somewhere, Sundance was an hour away for both of us so we met at noon.
On my way to meet Dan, I passed several miles of BNSF Locomotives parked nose to tail on three parallel tracks, between the lack of coal mining here and the reduction in imported goods on the west coast there are an awful lot of rail cars and engines sitting.
After an hour of B.S., we headed to the Southern Black Hills and then back to Rapid City where he lives.

I left Dan at a stoplight in Rapid City and headed home with alacrity as the weather was building to the west. I got home just in time to avoid the first raindrops. Once in the garage the raindrops stopped, we really need rain it is damn dry and not looking good.

The new Fuji XP-140 worked well. I can operate it with one hand with gloves on and it transfers the pictures to my phone automatically, I can then add the pictures to the Relive Video with little effort. The time signature of the camera and the geolocation are obtained from the phone by the camera. The XP-140 is a little bigger and heavier than the old Olympus I used to use but it is not a problem and all i need is a little longer lanyard for it to be perfect.

Click anywhere in the Image Below to run the Video

Last edited by bigjohnsd on Sun May 02, 2021 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
fontanaman, basicjim, Niehart and 1 others loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: Gen2, Superior 2006, Gen 3 2013 twice as good!

Re: May Day Ride - a serendipitous adventure!

Post by dcarver »

A nice loop John. Good on ya Bud.
bigjohnsd loved this
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Re: May Day Ride - a serendipitous adventure! - Link Fixed

Post by Bugnatr »

Nice, sorry to see you are as dry as we are. Starting to look like the west is going to go up in flames this year.
fontanaman loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Bugnatr wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:28 am Nice, sorry to see you are as dry as we are. Starting to look like the west is going to go up in flames this year.
I'm really worried here.
Hoping the "Trifecta" doesn't turn into a "Smokefest"!
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

Nice ride John! Yeah, rain is in short supply for the west. April was drier than normal in the PNW too.

~G
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Bonus points for using the word alacrity.

I had to look that up.

John I like those videos. The tracks part is cool. Plus now adding in the pictures you can see the geography changes. I enjoy riding areas that change really quick like that.
bigjohnsd loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Nice John. Yeah very dry hear in Washington State. Hills that usually green up on the spring are late June brown. I want to get my dual sport riding done in July this year out of concern of smoke filled skies in late summer.