Bonus December ride through Badlands National Park

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Bonus December ride through Badlands National Park

Post by bigjohnsd »

Another beautiful December day. I got a late start after SWMBO deemed it necessary to modify some Christmas decoration lights. But by 1100 I was geared up and ready to hit the road. Slabbed it to Rapid City, fueled, then down SD 44 to Scenic, then to the park via Sage Creek Road (25 miles of good gravel) entering at the NE corner of the park. Continued through the park on 240 (The Rim Road) and exited at the NE Exit. Home via I-90 and beat sunset by 20 minutes. Temps from 52F to 60F. No wind to speak of.

Niehart, escapefjrtist, PhilJet09 and 3 others loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
philharmonic
FJRModel: 07 FJR1300

Re: Bonus December ride through Badlands National Park

Post by philharmonic »

The Badlands was one of our favorite parks on our tour out west. We thought Yellowstone, or the Utah parks would be our favorites and they were awesome, but the Badlands, Needles Highway, and Spearfish Canyon together were the best three days of our trip.
Cav47, Bugnatr, bigjohnsd and 1 others loved this
I have met the enemy, and it is me.
fjray
Veteran
FJRModel: 04

Post by fjray »

The afternoon's here are in the 45-50 degree range but because the sun doesn't hit my road there is 3/4 mile of ice between me and pavement. Not quite ambitious enough to trailer to pavement.
bigjohnsd loved this
All things are simple when approached with a simple mind.
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

Good stuff John, Gramps took us through there on the pavement while our way to Minn in September. What a nice surprise with good riding.

Looks like I need to get back there with the S10 to see the gravel road parts.
bigjohnsd loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Great to hear the weather is decent enough for you to get out. Our weather is not up to par to facilitate that. Kinda sucks.

As far as the Badlands, I have yet to go through them. Unfortunately, I have always been in warp speed mode traversing either to or from Spearfish on my excursions out west. As I count it up, I have been on I-90 five different times now and never got off the slab to investigate. Seems like my routing needs adjustment after all the positive reports.
bigjohnsd loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!