Another great day to ride, with a little something extra.

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

Another great day to ride, with a little something extra.

Post by 1911 »

BIL has dabbled with street bikes, dabbled with photography, and has seen Yellowstone.

Re adventure, Mrs1911’s sister was in the same boat as her growing up-not much travel. Their folks worked in the mills of upstate South Carolina, saved and invested, and are enjoying a well earned retirement. I have great respect for Mrs1911’s folks. They left to me the pleasure of seeing my wife’s first swim in the Atlantic Ocean. They also left to me the pleasure of getting her the first of more than one pony. My retirement plan is to work ‘til I die.

BIL and SIL are each on marriage number two and SIL has yet to see much of the USA.

At family dinner if the subject of our adventures came up I’d annoy the family with pix and vids.

A few months ago SIL called, somewhat excited, asking what kind of bike we had. BIL received, as payment for an HVAC job, a Ducati Multi Strada. They ride it to the house. It’s a 2007 model. Don’t know about Ducs but 07 was a good year for FJRs. We all need to go for a ride one day, is the concensus.

I don’t claim to know exactly where the line is between motorcycle dabbling and “serious” motorcycling is. For us, if what we do is serious moto, I’d say the line was crossed when we packed rain gear, toiletries and tire plugs and headed out for our first overnighter. BIL and SIL are planning on riding out west next year. Southern Utah, Yosemite and such. I’d like to think we inspired.

But the MS hasn’t proven to be long distance two up comfortable. They borrowed, then bought an ElectraGlide, and they still keep talking about riding together. Hmmmmmmm, yea we need to go for a ride sometime.

In later conversation, months later, BIL speaks of the rides he’s doing around western NC. They live in Saluda NC. Pretty darn good place to start and finish rides. He’s checking off some of the good ones but complains that the group that he rides with won’t go high where it gets chilly, low where it gets hot, or anywhere without stopping every 45 minutes. BIL-We all need to go for a ride sometime. Me-you ever taken that thing up Green River Cove Road?

In later conversation. BIL- We rode The Dragon, just me and SIL. It was a 500 mile day for us. We also took the Glide up Green River Cove Road. It was almost as tight as Skyuka Mountain Rd, which we did on the MS. Me-We all need to go for a ride one day.

Black Friday we go for a ride. The meet up is Walhalla SC and the forecast was WRONG. The overnight temp was supposed to bottom out at 47. We saw 37 between Laurens and Walhalla. We had to turn up our Gerbing knobs to damn near high. The folks on the Glide had heater element free, but stylish logo jackets, but they persevered. We are all glad the dining room at Hardees is open. We warm up and wait for the sun to climb a little. Then we ride.

I expect to back off our normal two-up pace a little for this ride. Still, after the first piece of the good stuff on SC 28, I’m thinking this is going to be a loooooong day. A few miles later BIL seems to be finding the groove. Warwoman is early in the day for a reason. Our pace wasn’t typical FJR but enjoyable. The Glide seemed smooth, competent, confident. When we pull into the BP at the end of it BIL and SIL are all smiles.

For the second time in a week I get to introduce a friend or two to north Georgia, and some places neither has seen.

Down 17, the Glide is doing pretty good, to a certain point. Hard parts drag, the limit is found.

Up Richard Russell

We can’t believe this is GEORGIA?

Coming up 60, I tell our fellow riders that TWoS is closed for the season but I’m pretty sure that they leave the restrooms in service. They like TWoS and I’m a superstar rest stop picker as far as the ladies are concerned.

We continue up 60 and cross over to Hiawassee. I’ve got some confidence in BIL now. I tell BIL/SIL we are going to a picnic spot I know (thanks to a couple local hooligans), but they gotta trust me.

So it’s up to Bell Knob for dinner and a show.

We aren’t winded, we’re just taking it in a little at a time

OK, we’re here

Dinner

And a show

I tell BIL these guys only showed up to keep the guy on the ElectraGlide from being the nuttiest squirrel atop the hill.

After the show we hustle over to Clayton, across Scaly Mountain, then part ways in Highlands.

Up next: three days, two nights of Virginia. BIL just needs a little more ground clearance. I’m on a roll.
CollingsBob, bill lumberg, bigjohnsd and 12 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: Another great day to ride, with a little something extra.

Post by wheatonFJR »

Awesome!
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

Nice, real nice!
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Duane - I'm on schedule to be moved in there March 2022.

Don't run out of piss and vinegar before I get there, man....
Uncle Hud loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

Post by 1911 »

Hppants wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:16 pm Duane - I'm on schedule to be moved in there March 2022.

Don't run out of piss and vinegar before I get there, man....
sure got a lot of 2020 p&v left over
Hppants loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Update: Maralee just texted and said that her sister and BIL that are featured in this little tale above with the HD upgraded to a 2018 FJR yesterday.

Unfortunately, one sentence early on in his telling of the tale above was prophetic.
Blueridgerider, LKLD, Blister_1 and 4 others loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey