The 1911s do YFO

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

The 1911s do YFO

Post by 1911 »

WARNING-amateur swill ahead

Travel accounts from professional journalists, specifically professional moto-journalists don’t inspire me. They interest me, make me wish I could do likewise, but they don’t inspire me. Congratulations to those that have combined the work, education and talent to make a living as a writer, rider, explorer, photographer. Your stuff will be, and should be better than my friends and mine. But, following adventures of people on bikes on loan from a manufacturer, in gear under review, on a magazine’s per diem, and on time that is or will be paid for doesn’t inspire me. It’s the amateur stuff that inspires me. Show me that special trip on a not so new machine, that you planned, prepared for, and executed all while being a productive member of society in a separate career, and that will make me wish I could do likewise AND make me think I CAN do likewise. That’s inspiration. Where do I find the kind of amateur swill that makes me want to get out and go? Places like FJRiders, of course.

The 1911s do YFO
The trip that must have been meant to be.

I fretted a little about this report getting wordy and wandering to areas not directly related to a ride report, but then I concluded that this isn’t assigned reading and nobody is forced to follow, and that maybe the folks (lady-THANKS Tyler) that started this deal might get a kick out of how big a deal this was for us, so here you go:

About ten years ago I brought home a new to me FJR and have been saying “one day we’re going to ride this thing out west” pretty much every since. Mrs1911, upon seeing the FJR at first demanded that it be returned but before long I had to be sneaky to get out of the garage without her on the back. Within the past couple years though she seemed to lose interest in going anywhere on the back of the bike. In spring 2016 I decided that I was putting the tent on the back of the bike and going to Redlodge. I asked if she wanted to go. She said yes to my surprise. I put the trip out west off for another year. I couldn’t carry enough camping gear for two and the added expense of hotels and added time for shorter mileage days didn’t fit in the days off from work or the $ I was willing to spend at the time.

Later in 2016 my mother, who lives with us, had a little cardiac event ending with a couple stints installed. Mrs1911s father started talking about a hip replacement and Mrs1911s mother has a case of Alzheimer’s coming on. It occurred to me that for a gifted procrastinator such as me, the window of freedom between raising our kids and being there for the folks that raised us might not be open much longer. When the 2017 vacation bid hit the top of my box the weeks around YFO were open and I pulled the trigger. The first time in my working life that I have planned two weeks or more together at one time. YFO is the motivation to finally do the trip! And we were both looking forward to it. Mrs1911 has only been west of the Mississippi twice. Once to visit my grandparents in Arkansas. Not the part of Arkansas that ANY tourist has intentionally visited, the soybean, rice and mosquito growing, HOT and humid part. And once we flew out to Phoenix for a couple days, work related, but saw little more than a few cacti close about Phoenix. I’ve crossed the country several times, but as a kid who didn’t appreciate it.

Let the prep begin.

The Craigslit Bushtec may have been the first sign that this thing may really happen. There was still a LOT of stuff that had to work out for us to take this trip. The spring had to be wet enough that there would be a decent stand of grass for the horses. We had to get somebody to take care of the ponies and look in on the place and mom. We had to figure out what to do with the dog. I didn’t get both syllables of kennel out of my piehole before the Mrs shot that down. Smokey is 68 lbs of muscle and energy, needs daily exercise, and is too much for mom to handle. There was camping gear to upgrade, farkles and maintenance for the bike. But there was plenty of time, says gifted procrastinator. And there should be a test run.

Mrs1911 has slept in a tent, lived out of a cooler for a few days, and been on long m/c rides. But not all at the same time, for a long time, with weather not known ahead of time. When we finally got to do our test run it couldn’t have worked out better. The ride up to Hungry Mother SP Va on Saturday started warm and sunny but ended in the upper 30s with wind and rain. Saturday night was cold and wet. It was chilly when we crawled out Sunday morning but the sun was peeking out.

Her new heated jacked and rain suit, and the new mattress and sleeping bags worked just fine. Sunday was a beautiful ride around Jefferson National Forest.

Sunday night was cool but dry and the trip home Monday was pretty good too.

The none-to-gruntled Mrs1911 having chased me to the top of Roan Mtn in not-made-for-hiking-gear

YFO was ON. And now that I was sure we were going to do this it was time to finish a couple of the most expensive and time consuming items on the YFO prep list, that I hadn’t wanted to do if this thing wasn’t really going to. May 20-21 we take the dog to Orlando, to stay with my daughter and her dog Parker. Down there he’ll be well cared for, exercised, entertained, and have his social horizons broadened.Celebration, Florida's down town and eateries are dog friendly. Smoke would come home a few pounds heavier and an ice cream junkie.

And so YFO begins, Friday afternoon May 26, about 7 hours later than planned.

Day 1 Friday: Because the SS Immediate Procrastinator leaves port late the backroad routes to Land-Between-The-Lakes Ky are scuttled and we get on the slab. Asheville’s bumper-to-bumper but doesn’t seem so bad after we hit Knoxville at 5pm. We roll into Canal campground well after sunset and pitch the tent with flashlights in hand. The morning reveals nothing backwards or upsidedown.

Day 2 Saturday: We get up and look at the radar. We abort the planned breakfast at camp, pack up fast, and get on the road. We wait out storms in McDonalds.

After we dodge the morning storms the ride west across southern Missouri/northern Arkansas is a pleasant one, until we get to almost the night’s stop, Roaring River SP, then it’s time to dodge the evening storms, and these are the mean ones, with flash flood warnings for southwest Mo, not a good thing for a tent by a roaring river. At least we get to check out some of northwest Arks fine roads. We end up in Eureka Springs looking for a room. There are none. The town looks like bike week Daytona. The ES KOA is full too, but I explain our plight to the owner Mike. After we wait out storms in the game room we put up the tent in what he calls the dry storage area, about 1am. It was fine camping to us.

Day 3 Sunday: Across Oklahoma. Now we are seeing something not like home.

And burning more fuel than usual for some reason

Just before we get to the nights stop the scenery starts to get appealing, and Black Mesa SP is when I get excited about looking around. Bonus, we won’t need to use flashlights to set up tonight. And the sunset…..

Day 4 Monday: Kenton Ok having no fuel caused a minor reroute. We lost some country roads that I was looking forward to but in the end it shortened the time on bike for the day, which turned out to be a good thing, as this day would have the first “scare” of the trip. Just a little west of Trinidad Co we ran into a storm. I headed to a picnic shelter along the road near Trinidad Lake planning to take cover and put on the raingear. I could see the shelter from the main road but I didn’t see the admission $ booth until I’d snaked around the entrance road. I backtracked to the main road, but found no shelter. So we end up putting on the rain gear in the open, with rain, and then hail coming down. As Mrs1911 is trying to get her rainpants on over wet boots and riding pants, with nothing to lean on or sit on, she cries out in pain. She aggravated her sciatic nerve. Something that hasn’t bothered her for 10 years. Selfishly, one of the first things that comes to my mind, after we conclude that this isn’t (yet) a call 911 event, is “I’ve been expecting for months something to come along to tank this trip and here it is”. I help her finish with the rain gear and help her back on the bike and we get under way again. Of course, 3 minutes after we are under way again the rain stops. But by then we have rainsuits on over wet riding gear, and we are cold. We find a place to pull off and regroup. It must have been a comical sight for passers-by to see me trying to help my wife on and off the bike, in and out of her gear, as we get the heated jackets on. She eats a handful of Ibuprofen. Once under way again, the combination of the pills and the Gerbing on high has Mrs1911 declining my offer to sell the bike at the next town and buy plane tickets home. A few hours later though she says we need to stop, she feels “bad”. The tone of her voice is worse than the words. I scroll through a few screens on the Zumo and head to an intersection in Alamosa Co that gives us a choice between pulling into the hospital or Arby’s. She chooses Arby’s. We take a break and get something to eat. We conclude a handful of OTC painkillers on an empty stomach may not have been a good idea. In the excitement of stormdodging, don’t forget to eat. Mrs1911 soldiers on. Over the next couple days we work out a way for her to mount the bike before me, minimizing the leg lift and I give her a hand getting up from the bed and out of the tent. Once she’s standing up straight and moving around she’s ok. I worry that she is being such a trooper just to keep from ruining the trip for me, but over two weeks later, after it’s all said and done, she is into this trip as much as me. :D We get a little taste of the Rockies and it is good!

US160,10,000 feet and climbing, about to drop down to Pagosa Springs. The drop down was spectacular, but as would happen many many times on this trip, there would be nowhere to pull off to take a pic right where we wanted to. Folks, you just got to see it for yourself!

La Veta, Co. Here I failed to purge a gravel shortcut from the route. The folks on the downtown La Veta backstreets sure were giving us some strange looks. My FJR and passanger are no stranger to unpaved roads and I sure wanted to take this. After mulling it over a little and considering with great weight the suggestions from the back seat I took a pic and backtracked.

Looking at the Spanish Peaks, from just south of La Veta

And from inside San Isabel National Forest

The day’s delays have us rolling into camp again well after dark. The camp reservation at Mesa Verde NP isn’t site specific. It’s a little bit of an adventure trying to find an empty site but at least we are getting good at setting up in the dark. To cap off the day just right, during the search to find a spot I knock my new RF1200 off the seat. It lands forehead squarely on a sharp rock and rolls around a while, trashing the visor. It’s a cool, dry night and we sleep well. It’s always interesting to get up in the morning and look around to see what we’ve occupied in the middle of the night.

The hot shower in the morning helps Mrs1911s back. The pictogram on the shower wall disturbs us both.

We do a load of laundry. The breakfast served up and the café is good and fairly priced.

Stay tuned folks. There is twenty days worth of this and it is just starting to get good.
Last edited by 1911 on Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Niehart, Tyler, LKLD and 8 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: The 1911s do YFO

Post by wheatonFJR »

wow.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Well I'm subscribed for sure!!!

You are quite the ride reporter! Where have you been hiding all these years?

Your wife is quite the trooper. I've torqued my sciatica nerve before - that ain't no joke.
wheatonFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

" ... the combination of the pills and the Gerbing on high has Mrs1911 declining my offer to sell the bike at the next town and buy plane tickets home."

Dude! That's some high quality writing!
wheatonFJR loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

In for the duration!

My boss hates you already. Good job!
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

Ok I'm hooked.
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

I am with hppants. Where have you been?

I am loving this RR. Don't worry about "Getting too Wordy". Just take a look at what hppants and I write for RRs, you can't get too wordy!

If I could ask a favor... Please include a bit more detail about WHERE you were. You don't need turn by turn Hwy #s but I would love to have some idea of how to follow your trek.

Regardless, this is FINE STUFF. And I find myself in awe of Mrs. 1911. After this RR she will have her own fan club.
wheatonFJR loved this
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

Awesome r/r Mr 1911!
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Duane's got a knack for stories...he just too busy living to sit behind a keyboard and share all the time.

That's why I'm looking forward to this.
Can't wait...
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

1911 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:30 pm The pictogram on the shower wall disturbs us both.
Mwah-mwah-mwah-mwah!!

I'm looking forward to reading aboot the rest of your trip!
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

Good stuff Duane. Keep it coming!
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
RIP 1911
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

In!
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Looking forward to the next installment. :)
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
Veteran

Post by 1911 »

Redfish wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:23 pm
If I could ask a favor... Please include a bit more detail about WHERE you were

Will do sir, gladly. I’m tickled that somebody is interested enough to ask. And that gives me an excuse to back track a little while waiting for a photo “upload”.

The routes for days 2-4, as built in Basecamp and loaded into the Zumo can be seen here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.4515475 ... H7K8?hl=en

Note where the Mississippi is crossed. I could feel Mrs1911 getting a little apprehensive as we wound through Hickman. It’s a shame I didn’t take a picture of the Dorena-Hickman ferry http://www.dorena-hickmanferryboat.com/ but there’s plenty on Google. The sigh of relief from the back seat was deafening when a couple fellows in a pickup rolled up and told us that the ferry was closed. The reroute around the ferry ran us right smack into one of the most interesting traffic slowdowns I’ve run across, a 100 mile yard sale http://www.25yardsale.com/

Since the storms, ferry reroute, and yard sale had us running behind we skipped the dip through northern Arkansas and pretty much ran US160 across southern Missouri. And that was fine riding. I can get back to Arkansas on a shorter vacation. It seems we ended up on US160 quite a bit. I know that Route 66 was THE road to cross the country on before interstates but US160 could be a candidate for one of those “stay on one road for a while” themed rides. I should have found the long straight stuff through Oklahoma boring but I didn’t. Even by the end of the trip I never stopped marveling at the wide openness and see foreverness of the flatlands.

I’ll be adding some captions to pics in post 1.

Day 5 was a BIG day for me. Coming up…
Niehart, Hppants, Redfish and 1 others loved this
Redfish
Veteran

Post by Redfish »

I am SO in! Take your time, don't rush. This stuff is hard to do. You know exactly how I know that.

FWIW, Pop and I never got bored with the straight wide open stuff either. We were seeing new things, things that were different from our home.

And we were riding our motorcycles.

I am embarrassed to ask this... Did we meet at YFO? I saw the '07 with the matching trailer but cannot remember everyone we met and spoke with.
wheatonFJR loved this
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

1911 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:46 pm <snip> Note where the Mississippi is crossed. I could feel Mrs1911 getting a little apprehensive as we wound through Hickman. It’s a shame I didn’t take a picture of the Dorena-Hickman ferry http://www.dorena-hickmanferryboat.com/ but there’s plenty on Google. The sigh of relief from the back seat was deafening when a couple fellows in a pickup rolled up and told us that the ferry was closed.
Wow! My route to Hooterville 2015 crossed the Mississippi on the Dorena-Hickman ferry, too. They were closed due to dredging along the river, which I found out by calling them a few days beforehand. (Wanted to make a reservation or pay in advance to ensure I could get across.)

Re-routed to Cairo (IL) and crossed the Ohio and Mississippi independently within a 10-minute stretch.

Oh well. Next time. Maybe the two of us together ... headed to Alaska or something.
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
Veteran

Post by 1911 »

Redfish wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:36 pm I am embarrassed to ask this... Did we meet at YFO? I saw the '07 with the matching trailer but cannot remember everyone we met and spoke with.
We did not, at least to the point of shaking hands and talking face to face. And that’s a pity. Meeting the RFH/Pops/Pants crowd is one thing I meant to do. After reading of Pops dismount I took a first aid/CPR/AED course and added a first aid kit to my bike. There are a lot of (all the present, actually) forum peeps that I meant to meet up close with, put a real person and face with a forum id. But I did a poor job of socializing. For reasons some of which we may touch on later in the report. But I will say now that I blame Castle a little bit.

Castle and SenecaHome roomed next to us. I plopped down in a chair outside our room and found myself in a conversation with them. Castle has an interesting and inspiring story that I can relate to. And “relate to” is the key here.

WheatonFJR, or somebody like him, if there is somebody else like him, could point out to me an amazing feat of engineering/architecture and go on at length about why said feat is amazing. I would be impressed with his knowledge of the feat. I’d be able to tell from his passion that it is an amazing feat and that I too should be impressed. I’d nod like I comprehended a little of what he was talking about. I’d say “yup, that’s a damned amazing feat”. But I probably wouldn’t relate to it on a personal level.

Castle built, from nothing, to a “sell it and live happily ever after on a personal little island in the Caribbean” level, a business based on trailers. The big ones, the kind that make up 4/9ths of the proverbial 18 wheel rig. I’ve maintained a fleet of such trailers. Thus I can relate. I ask him two questions: How many trailers? How many employees? He gives me the numbers (many, few). He doesn’t have to tell me that he worked 18 hour days and slept in the shop (he did and he did). This is the greatness of free enterprise.

SenecaHome has an impressive and inspiring love of Mexican food. We eat at the little Mexican place in Mariposa. I don’t think Castle hangs out on this forum. He’s probably over in the other sandbox telling how his socializing was hampered by some red dirt clod from SC that wanted to talk about kingpins and brake chambers all night, and wishing he had told me that he was a proctologist.
Niehart, Uncle Hud, and wheatonFJR loved this
Redfish
Veteran

Post by Redfish »

I had the privilege of talking to Castle and Senecahome myself. I am betting Castle's socializing was not hampered at all. Pop and I enjoyed our time with Ed and Glen. Two wonderful gentlemen. Ed(Castle) actually rode from Virginia to California on a stock FJR seat with no bar risers at all.

I talked with several really nice folks and had no idea at all what their names were. The worst of that is that every one of them did tell me their names at one point. I suck at the socializing part but I tried really hard and I enjoyed all of them.
Niehart and philharmonic loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Redfish wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:13 pmI talked with several really nice folks and had no idea at all what their names were. The worst of that is that every one of them did tell me their names at one point.
I do this too. It is very difficult to overcome. I'm always like "Yea, this guy I was talking to, what was his name? Ugly guy from Baton Rouge Louisiana, came with his dad, he rides a 2015 gray FJR and his dad has a beautiful red 2014 FJR, he's got a boat and fishes, also rides a BMW from time to time. What's his name damnit! Why can't I remember details?"

:D
Niehart, wheatonFJR, Tyler and 1 others loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Redfish
Veteran

Post by Redfish »

It's so nice having friends that care about my feelings.
wheatonFJR loved this