The Official 2020 Calendar Contest

Sub-Forum to hold the annual FJRiders.com calendar contest threads.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Re: The Official 2020 Calendar Contest

Post by Hppants »

I'm kind of smelling what Josh is cooking.

Don't want to give the impression that I'm over reacting to the "competitive" nature of this endeavor. Rather, I felt like my calendar entries this year were "meh". Perhaps its totally unfounded, but I feel this was because I didn't get to the really "exotic" place where the "money shots" are endless. I realize that with the right light and artistic composition, any one of us could get the perfect shot in our backyard. Still this year, I'm looking forward to finding uncharted water for inspiration.
Cav47 and wheatonFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

This year was the first of my efforts to make the cut and I think my accepted entry might be one of the best pics I've ever taken of any of my bikes. I look forward to this riding season and seeing just what kind of picture I can come up with. I look forward even more to seeing what all of you come up with as well. This calendar is a great idea and I hope even more folks participate this year.
Hppants and Cav47 loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

I really want to play with the drone more this summer. I think it could get some really cool photos, but I need the assistance of someone willing to put up with me figuring things out and trying different stuff. It wouldn't exactly be a glamorous day of riding.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen next year when all of the photos are submitted before voting begins.
Hppants and LKLD loved this
TimDog!
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

Post by 1911 »

DesignFlaw06 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:44 pm I really want to play with the drone more this summer. I think it could get some really cool photos, but I need the assistance of someone willing to put up with me figuring things out and trying different stuff. It wouldn't exactly be a glamorous day of riding.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen next year when all of the photos are submitted before voting begins.
I’ll be your huckleberry. A coworker is trying to talk me into taking a drone on our next big trip and that has me curious about these things
Hppants loved this
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

DesignFlaw06 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:44 pm I really want to play with the drone more this summer. I think it could get some really cool photos, but I need the assistance of someone willing to put up with me figuring things out and trying different stuff. It wouldn't exactly be a glamorous day of riding.

Bring it to the SEO Ramble in May
Uncle Hud loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

El Toro Joe wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:54 pm

Bring it to the SEO Ramble in May
Flat straight boring, are you kidding me? Completely devoid of elevation changes or wrap around curves, or...
El Toro Joe and Madmudder loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Hppants wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:18 am Rather, I felt like my calendar entries this year were "meh". Perhaps its totally unfounded, but I feel this was because I didn't get to the really "exotic" place where the "money shots" are endless.
I completely disagree. The 2019 calendar was almost exclusively views of mountains or views from mountains. They're pretty, sure, but there's also beauty in a shot of an icy roadside (January 2020), rolling hills (February), or an old rickety bridge (March), and all through the 2020 calendar.

Maybe you don't think a Louisiana bayou is exotic and beautiful, but I sure do. "Exotic" is, at its essence, unusual and strange, and many of the 2020 photos are precisely that to my eyes. And man, oh man, do they inspire thoughts of traveling.
Madmudder, CraigRegs, BkerChuck and 2 others loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

I'm with Uncle Hud on this. To me a lot of the areas you guys get to ride is exotic because I've never been there. One thing I have learned from my esteemed buddy HPPants through his ride reports and pictures is to look for beauty in my own backyard and to share it with all of you who may have never ridden my neck of the woods. I'm trying to take some of the crappy weather I'm dealing with right now and use it as an opportunity to start plotting rides for when the weather gets nice and figure out what might make a good photo for next year.
Uncle Hud, Hppants, and wheatonFJR loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

Post by 1911 »

Almost forgot to mention.....

JANUARY!

Uncle Hud, Hppants, BkerChuck and 1 others loved this
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Uncle Hud wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:37 pm
Hppants wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:18 am Rather, I felt like my calendar entries this year were "meh". Perhaps its totally unfounded, but I feel this was because I didn't get to the really "exotic" place where the "money shots" are endless.
I completely disagree. The 2019 calendar was almost exclusively views of mountains or views from mountains. They're pretty, sure, but there's also beauty in a shot of an icy roadside (January 2020), rolling hills (February), or an old rickety bridge (March), and all through the 2020 calendar.

Maybe you don't think a Louisiana bayou is exotic and beautiful, but I sure do. "Exotic" is, at its essence, unusual and strange, and many of the 2020 photos are precisely that to my eyes. And man, oh man, do they inspire thoughts of traveling.
Pants does recognize that the Louisiana Bayous are exotic and beautiful. You can tell he loves them when he gives you a tour. I think we all just get tired of our own back yard. The grass is always greener kind of thing.

Sometimes I forget how beautiful Florida is to many people. Even if it's not a motorcycle mecca.
Hppants loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Agree, Dan.

For me anyway, I get inspired by the uncharted water. Hoping for plenty of that this year!!
Uncle Hud loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Auburn
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006

Post by Auburn »

danh600 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:45 am
Uncle Hud wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:37 pm

Pants does recognize that the Louisiana Bayous are exotic and beautiful. You can tell he loves them when he gives you a tour. I think we all just get tired of our own back yard. The grass is always greener kind of thing.

Sometimes I forget how beautiful Florida is to many people. Even if it's not a motorcycle mecca.
I think the biggest factor in whether the picture made it this year or not had to do with the lighting. There were many good picture submitted, but the lighting was poor. Had it been better, they would have rated a lot better and maybe made the calendar. Several might have benefited from using a photo editing software to correct the lighting.
Redfish loved this
get out and ride! IBA #54706
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

AuburnFJR wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:38 pm I think the biggest factor in whether the picture made it this year or not had to do with the lighting...Several might have benefited from using a photo editing software to correct the lighting.
Some would have benefited from being submitted earlier than just a few days from closing the voting.

It is a common mistake to take a picture with the sun BEHIND the vehicle. It's unfortunate that many fine locations are arrived at with the sun lower on the horizon (rising or setting sun) and positioned so that the sun was setting over the beautiful scene and BEHIND the vehicle. If possible, and if I'm familiar with the location I try to time my photo shoot/shot so that the sun is shining on my motorcycle or at least partly on the motorcycle by turning it. If you must shoot with the sun behind the motorcycle shoot at least one shot using the flash to illuminate the shadow side. Unfortunately, the FJR has many little reflective bits that can blow out a flashed picture so try to shoot slightly up or down (not 90°) so the reflection isn't maximized back to the camera. A bit of strategically placed electrical tape would cure that...
Hppants loved this
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

ionbeam wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:51 pm
AuburnFJR wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:38 pm I think the biggest factor in whether the picture made it this year or not had to do with the lighting...Several might have benefited from using a photo editing software to correct the lighting.
Some would have benefited from being submitted earlier than just a few days from closing the voting.

It is a common mistake to take a picture with the sun BEHIND the vehicle. It's unfortunate that many fine locations are arrived at with the sun lower on the horizon (rising or setting sun) and positioned so that the sun was setting over the beautiful scene and BEHIND the vehicle. If possible, and if I'm familiar with the location I try to time my photo shoot/shot so that the sun is shining on my motorcycle or at least partly on the motorcycle by turning it. If you must shoot with the sun behind the motorcycle shoot at least one shot using the flash to illuminate the shadow side. Unfortunately, the FJR has many little reflective bits that can blow out a flashed picture so try to shoot slightly up or down (not 90°) so the reflection isn't maximized back to the camera. A bit of strategically placed electrical tape would cure that...
Good point(s).

A remote flash can solve the problem of a backlit subject. Just set it out of frame, at a 45 degree angle from the camera. Also, you could bounce the flash from the camera, if you have an adjustable one. A flash diffuser can also do the trick, but you'll need to be closer to the bike, as it'll be less bright.

Post editing is really where you can make a difference. With a decent program, and practice, you'd be surprised what you can accomplish.
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
Full House
FJRModel: 2010

Post by Full House »

I enjoy these calendars tremendously. Would it be possible to include the locations of these shots? Example: XXX Rd. east of XXX City.
Redfish, Uncle Hud, Hppants and 3 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Full House wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:55 am I enjoy these calendars tremendously. Would it be possible to include the locations of these shots? Example: XXX Rd. east of XXX City.
Amen.
Redfish loved this
DesignFlaw06
Veteran

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

Full House wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:55 am I enjoy these calendars tremendously. Would it be possible to include the locations of these shots? Example: XXX Rd. east of XXX City.
It would require more effort from the participants. Many don't include information and some don't provide useful information with their submissions, even though it is requested. The artwork would have to accommodate a description and if I'm going to do that, it is all or none.

I notice Wheatie agrees with you, yet his submissions did not come with any information this year.
Redfish, Madmudder, Cav47 and 2 others loved this
TimDog!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

DesignFlaw06 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:19 pm
It would require more effort from the participants. Many don't include information and some don't provide useful information with their submissions, even though it is requested. The artwork would have to accommodate a description and if I'm going to do that, it is all or none.

I notice Wheatie agrees with you, yet his submissions did not come with any information this year.
I actually did.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Well, of course the bestest picture was mine of the view of the Specific Ocean, and you woulda/coulda read the more exact description (and a coupla others) when you voted. I dunno how much more work it is to add location text, TimDog's call.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
DesignFlaw06
Veteran

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

wheatonFJR wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:57 pm
DesignFlaw06 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:19 pm

I actually did.
I stand corrected. You did, in a way that I missed.

My apologies.
TimDog!