The Official 2018 Calendar Contest Thread

Sub-Forum to hold the annual FJRiders.com calendar contest threads.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Re: The Official 2018 Calendar Contest Thread

Post by Hppants »

Fontana - that picture is really neat. It must have felt like you were riding on a bobsled track, but (hopefully) with traction.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

Wow, you guys are putting a lot of thoughts into this.

Rate the photos based on what you think of that photo. Don't rate them against the other photos. And you can still be proud of a photo that nobody else likes. If you don't make it this year, not a big deal. You have a year's notice for the next one.
wheatonFJR and El Toro Joe loved this
TimDog!
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Redfish wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:42 pm I personally don't think I should have to give a 5 star ranking to 12 different photos. We can vote however the hell we want to. Or not at all. Other than the man that set the rules and the man that owns the forum, I don't have to take orders and direction from anyone on this forum. This calendar contest is supposed to be fun. Yet somehow...

I didn't give many 5 star votes but I did vote for all of them.
Apparently you took my post as serious and didn't see the final line.....

"Of course I only mention this because some of you slackers are pushing me down the list by not voting for every photo :nhlfight:"

It's called sarcasm. No one's telling you how to vote. Relax and unbunch your panties. :stickpoke:
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Festus wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:25 am It's called sarcasm. No one's telling you how to vote. Relax and unbunch your panties. :stickpoke:
No panties wrinkled here. BTW, it's only called sarcasm if we can see your wink and nod in person...or if we see some smiley or j/k note. Unless you have that in your text that you put in front of strangers that you cannot see...you will have less than 100% participation in your joke...that you called the whole reason for your post. Seriously...I'm not kidding. Okay maybe I am. Or not. :lol:

Just enjoy the calendar and enjoy the chance to be a part of it.
Last edited by wheatonFJR on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Hppants wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:40 am Fontana - that picture is really neat. It must have felt like you were riding on a bobsled track, but (hopefully) with traction.
Thanks Pants. Usually I ride the North Crashcades Hwy from West to East. This photo looks from East to West so it took a while before I stumbled across this view. Washington DOT has become more aware of avalanche risk over the years to there is little chance the highway is open during bob sled season. :D
Last edited by fontanaman on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hppants loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

DesignFlaw06 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:41 am Wow, you guys are putting a lot of thoughts into this.
Hey how about creating a poll for how to rate the pics? I am sure there is a retired Engineer here on the forum who is dying for something to do. :D

After the poll is started we can add comments about the well intentioned work. :twisted:
DesignFlaw06
Veteran

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

fontanaman wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:21 pm
DesignFlaw06 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:41 am Wow, you guys are putting a lot of thoughts into this.
Hey how about creating a poll for how to rate the pics? I am sure there is a retired Engineer here on the forum who is dying for something to do. :D

After the poll is started we can add comments about the well intentioned work. :twisted:
No need. I know exactly how that poll will end.
wheatonFJR and fontanaman loved this
TimDog!
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:11 pm No panties wrinkled here. BTW, it's only called sarcasm if we can see your wink and nod in person...or if we see some smiley or j/k note. Unless you have that in your text that you put in front of strangers that you cannot see...you will have less than 100% participation in your joke...that you called the whole reason for your post. Seriously...I'm not kidding. Okay maybe I am. Or not. :lol:

Just enjoy the calendar and enjoy the chance to be a part of it.
Yeah, I guess it wasn't clear when I suggested that some people are going to get a calendar with 2 months and 10 blank pages :mrgreen:

On a serious note, it would be nice if everyone that voted, voted for all the photos, good or bad, in their views. There are some great photos I think (personal opinion) that deserve to be in there but the vote count is lower, so they might not make the cut. That's a shame. It's not like it takes a lot of effort to submit your vote for ones that might have been added after you originally voted.

Regardless, it's going to be a kick ass calendar and I appreciate the effort that's gone into putting it all together.
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Just checked again, to be sure, and I've voted for all of them.

This will be a great calendar!
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
Auburn
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006

Post by Auburn »

I got a suggestion. How about on the back cover put small pictures of all the ones that didn't make the calendar this year? Just food for thought.
Festus and LKLD loved this
get out and ride! IBA #54706
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Re: RE: Re: The Official 2018 Calendar Contest Thread

Post by extrememarine »

AuburnFJR wrote:I got a suggestion. How about on the back cover put small pictures of all the ones that didn't make the calendar this year? Just food for thought.
Great idea.

I'm sure Tim will chime in. Remember, to get the printed calendar, Tim uses a canned service for it. There might not be that much lattitude for customization out side the template. Or, if there is, it could push pricing substantially higher, and create a bunch more work. But I do like the idea of it if the template will allow.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

DesignFlaw06 wrote:Wow, you guys are putting a lot of thoughts into this.

Rate the photos based on what you think of that photo. Don't rate them against the other photos. And you can still be proud of a photo that nobody else likes. If you don't make it this year, not a big deal. You have a year's notice for the next one.
You're catching on...

Just wait, it gets better since the weather is turning more winterish snd less ridingish, everyone has more time to surf here...

Ride There!

IBA#60836

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I just had a brain fart. It happens some times....

After I retire, maybe I could set a goal to go to each place on the calendar on the bike. The Official 20xx Calendar Tour!! And wouldn't it be cool if I could go to each month's place during that month? Of course, if February's picture is depicted from Glacier National Park, that's gonna be quite a challenge.

Meh.... like any decent fart, I'm sure it will pass.....
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Hppants wrote:I just had a brain fart. It happens some times....

After I retire, maybe I could set a goal to go to each place on the calendar on the bike. The Official 20xx Calendar Tour!! And wouldn't it be cool if I could go to each month's place during that month? Of course, if February's picture is depicted from Glacier National Park, that's gonna be quite a challenge.

Would make for an interesting photo tag thread...

Ride There!

IBA#60836

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Hppants wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:53 am I just had a brain fart. It happens some times....

I sometimes find little gems that I hope to be inspirational..... I'll admit I haven't been really living this way...... but the older one gets, the fewer tomorrows one has... or never know, could get hit by a bus tomorrow (I've done well enough to be OK with that).
Cav47 and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
DesignFlaw06
Veteran

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

extrememarine wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:46 am
AuburnFJR wrote:I got a suggestion. How about on the back cover put small pictures of all the ones that didn't make the calendar this year? Just food for thought.
Great idea.

I'm sure Tim will chime in. Remember, to get the printed calendar, Tim uses a canned service for it. There might not be that much lattitude for customization out side the template. Or, if there is, it could push pricing substantially higher, and create a bunch more work. But I do like the idea of it if the template will allow.

There is no available are on the back cover to add photos. The template doesn't allow for it. It's the same reason there are no horizontal lines on the calendar. I'm stuck with it. Lulu.com is the best services I've found with price and logistics.
TimDog!
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

It would seem then, the only solution is to put the "collection" on one of the pages, and the top 11 on the rest........
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

raYzerman wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:33 pm It would seem then, the only solution is to put the "collection" on one of the pages, and the top 11 on the rest........
Or use 12. Since there are 12 months in the year. If you want a participation ribbon if you don't get in the top 12, I'm sure you can get one at your town general store.

Damn. We didn't have this much trouble last year. WTF?
Let's not make things so aggravating that a certain someone says screw it next year. Jsns.
Cav47, Redfish, and DesignFlaw06 loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Big shout out to DesignFlaw06 for his good work and putting up with our BS.
DesignFlaw06, Cav47, and Auburn loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

DesignFlaw06 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:13 pm There is no available are on the back cover to add photos. The template doesn't allow for it. It's the same reason there are no horizontal lines on the calendar. I'm stuck with it. Lulu.com is the best services I've found with price and logistics.
Never used Lulu. When I had my MINI Cooper S the MINI club did MINI of the month. The winner got to have their photo for that month in the year end calendar. I was scrambling to get them the image needed after winning for the month of December. I don't recall the pricing and I am loathe to recommend anything from this company normally, but the girl putting it together used Apple's printing services. Looks like $20 per calendar now, no idea if there's a discount for bulk orders. What I will say though is that the quality was absolutely top notch. Image quality and paper thickness as well as the binding were far better than what I've seen elsewhere.

Not trying to persuade you away, but if you find yourself shopping around, I can provide first hand knowledge on that particular product.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.