ES Shock Removal Help

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
CraigRegs
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 15ES

ES Shock Removal Help

Post by CraigRegs »

I'm trying to get my shock removed to send off to EPM Performance (viewtopic.php? p=163752&hilit=ES+shock#p163752) and have reached a hurdle. I'm having trouble removing the DC motor coupler and can't find the stepper motor coupler. As a picture is worth a thousand words, this video may save me a lot of typing.

Second bit: The FSM doesn't say as much, but it appears the shock must be lifted up for removal rather than dropped down. The swing arm doesn't appear to have room to allow the shock, with its ES appendages, to drop through. So does the metal tray that cradles the DC motor have to be removed to create room to lift the shock up? Again, the manual says nothing about it. Or have I missed something?

Thanks to the collective for any help.
Craig
----------------
...the Pursuit of Happiness
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: ES Shock Removal Help

Post by raYzerman »

Caveat, I have not done this nor am I likely much help.......... my guess is the connector you're looking for is on the stepper motor itself??
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

Like Ray Ray said, I haven't done this before either, so not much help. I will say that the scope I have that connects wifi to my phone has been a huge help in situations like this. It can see around things that you can't. It was pretty cheap and works great. I'll get the info on it and post it here. Most of the connectors that are "in the open" like that one have a rubber gasket in them that make them tight, It should have a tab to depress like most of them, but they put it where it is impossible to get to. I will be interested in the outcome as I expect I will be doing the same thing sometime in the future. I will cross 100k tomorrow.
wheatonFJR loved this
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

The Scope I am using is: https://a.co/d/1wqcg3L
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
CraigRegs
Contributor
Veteran

Post by CraigRegs »

Bob, I have just such a scope and forgot about it! I’ll be digging it out.

Progress update: Turns out I had the “hidden” connector (with blue tape in photo) disconnected. It’s at the rear of the shock, but the cable is clamped to a panel (seen at top of photo below) so it doesn’t have any slack and can’t be pulled through.

So it appears the shock must come up to get out. To do that, the plate (indicated below) supporting the DC motor has to come out. The shock is on the left of the photo.

No mention of this plate in FSM, nor is it even show in the illustrations. But there are 2 allen-head bolts on each side and maybe a couple more that should free it. This is bottom of the plate on right side. Second shot is the left side.

That’ll be tomorrow. Need to get this off to EPM quickly to allow time for reassembly. But that’s a discussion for another day.
wheatonFJR loved this
Craig
----------------
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Intech wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:22 pm The Scope I am using is: https://a.co/d/1wqcg3L
With a scope like that you can moonlight as a proctologist!
fontanaman, HotRodZilla, and Powerman loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

bigjohnsd wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:11 pm
Intech wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:22 pm The Scope I am using is: https://a.co/d/1wqcg3L
One of his life's goals for sure.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

What happens at tech day stays at tech day, JSNS.
HotRodZilla, DesertBike, Road Runner and 3 others loved this
CraigRegs
Contributor
Veteran

Post by CraigRegs »

wheatonFJR wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:38 pm
bigjohnsd wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:11 pm
One of his life's goals for sure.
You sound pretty sure I haven't checked that box already (so to speak...)
HotRodZilla, bigjohnsd, and wheatonFJR loved this
Craig
----------------
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

All I can offer is good luck Craig. I've removed one ES shock from a wrecked '16 so we were able to essentially strip the back half of the bike. I do remember it was a big PITA to remove w/o a lot of disassembly.

Edit to add: If you need a replacement, I think that ES shock is still available. Had approximately 24k miles.

~G
Niehart and wheatonFJR loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
CraigRegs
Contributor
Veteran

Post by CraigRegs »

When all George can offer is “good luck” and “ It’s a PITA” you know you’re in deep.

And so I’ve reached a tipping point. I think if I can disconnect the hose shown below , I can twist the shock out from below. My question is, what’s in this hose? Oil? If I disconnect it, what should I expect? A few drips? A shower? Irreparable damage?

Its attached to the preload adjusting pump at the other end.

Of course I can easily disconnect the hose, but if there’s leakage, that begs the question of compensating for that during reassembly. If disconnecting the hose isn’t feasible, then I’m going to abandon the shock rebuild and start buttoning it back up. To take out the shock from above would require removing the brake pump, which means draining all brake fluid and that’s more than I can expect to put back together before Reuben Run.
Craig
----------------
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

That's the hydraulic preload, don't touch it Craig! If you open the line you'll lose oil and it would somehow have to be refilled and properly bled.

I want to say we removed the shock and associated parts from the top. I don't remember us needing to remove any lines from the braking system. Have you closely studied the FSM and followed the steps? I have an ES service manual and can take a look at it after work. (You do remember work, right?) ;-)

~G
CraigRegs loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Can't tell fully, but that tapered "reservoir" is holding the fluid that operates your preload collar on the shock. Of course you can undo the hose, lose some oil and fix it later...... however, when you get the shock back from rebuild, you can't remove the hoses..... it will have been refilled...... you've got to find the way it comes out from the top and back in again........
Removing ABS..... nothing about that in the FSM........

More than one way to skin a cat...... what if you removed the entire swingarm........? Easier than screwing with the ABS....
CraigRegs
Contributor
Veteran

Post by CraigRegs »

Just finished a call with George and we think the way to skin this cat is removing the swingarm, as raYzerman suggests. That will provide clearance to allow the shock and attached plumbing and electronics to lift up and out. Unfortunately, I don't have time to do that, get the shock rebuilt and reinstalled before leaving 8/30 for Reuben Run. So, I'll start putting parts back into the general vicinity of whence they came, and hope to tear back into this after I return from SFO in November.
bigjohnsd, FJRPittsburgh, escapefjrtist and 4 others loved this
Craig
----------------
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

I just happened upon this post today. Now I am mostly convinced I will not being removing the shock on my 17 ES.

Craig why do you want to send the shock to EPM Performance? As critic of the ES shock I am always interested in improved suspension.
CraigRegs
Contributor
Veteran

Post by CraigRegs »

fontanaman wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:23 pm I just happened upon this post today. Now I am mostly convinced I will not being removing the shock on my 17 ES.

Craig why do you want to send the shock to EPM Performance? As critic of the ES shock I am always interested in improved suspension.
WIth 110k on it, it's beginning to feel spongy. I like the ES adjustability, but a new replacement is $3K+. So rather than replace with a new one or an aftermarket that doesn't accommodate the ES function, I thought I'd try the rebuild for a few hundred bucks.
HotRodZilla, fontanaman, SkooterG and 2 others loved this
Craig
----------------
SkooterG
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004 X 2, 2009 X 2, 2013 X2, 2014, 2017, 2023...... I have issues!

Post by SkooterG »

Well, it's a damned good thing you are retired now and have time to do this and produce a painstakingly detailed video for the rest of us. Just saying.....
CollingsBob, fontanaman, bigjohnsd and 4 others loved this
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

IBA #327

'04 FJR -- '09 FJR -- '13 FJR -- '14 FJR ES -- '17 FJR ES - What can I say? I have issues!
Canadian FJR
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018 FJR-1300ES, 2010 Ural Gear Up, 2003
Yamaha FJR-1300, 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650 (Gone to a new home), 1997 Suzuki TL-1000s (Gone but not forgotten), 1976 Honda 400 Four, 1968 Honda C-50 Step-thru

Post by Canadian FJR »

Are you able to remove the rear sub frame and pull it out from the top. That’s the way one of the Ohlins on an earlier Gen had to be installed.

http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/ohlins.html

Canadian FJR
SkooterG
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004 X 2, 2009 X 2, 2013 X2, 2014, 2017, 2023...... I have issues!

Post by SkooterG »

Canadian FJR wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:31 pm Are you able to remove the rear sub frame and pull it out from the top. That’s the way one of the Ohlins on an earlier Gen had to be installed.

http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/ohlins.html

Canadian FJR
That is OLD information. I have removed/installed many an aftermarket shocks and it's a relatively straightforward and easy process to remove them out of the bottom of the swingarm. Removing the rear subframe would be the LAST thing I would want to do. I would rather remove the swingarm.
wheatonFJR loved this
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

IBA #327

'04 FJR -- '09 FJR -- '13 FJR -- '14 FJR ES -- '17 FJR ES - What can I say? I have issues!
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Might be an issue if there is an attached reservoir at the top of the shock that won't pass down through the swingarm..... but I'd say removing the swingarm is a bit less work than removing the subframe???
CollingsBob and wheatonFJR loved this