Tank bolts......OH #$#@!!

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Re: Tank bolts......OH #$#@!!

Post by N4HHE »

Making mountains out of molehills. Just don't over torque the bolts and you won't have this problem again.

P/N 90149-06302-00 is an M6 with the FSM says should be torqued to the astronomical arm twisting value of 4.3 ft-lbf (or 6 Nm).
gitbox, Steel_Gin, and wheatonFJR loved this
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

rbentnail wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:13 am
Steel_Gin wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:21 pmNow my next question. A co-worked said to make sure you don't use a bolt that will react badly to the frame metal......good suggestion I thought. The bolt that was in there is Stainless Steel, correct? Or is there another option I should use to replace them? I won't be replacing with an Allen head bolt that's for sure.
Pardon my ignorance, but did you not read the post directly before yours that addresses this specific topic?
Russ,

In my experience, it is one thing to tell somebody they should use things like Anti-Seize compound, and something else entirely to explain why, to most people. Corrosion is a fact of life, but we can delay or prevent it. We are both saying the same precautions, certainly. I meant no offense there.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

Steel_Gin wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:21 pm Now my next question. A co-worked said to make sure you don't use a bolt that will react badly to the frame metal......good suggestion I thought. The bolt that was in there is Stainless Steel, correct? Or is there another option I should use to replace them? I won't be replacing with an Allen head bolt that's for sure.
Pardon my ignorance, but did you not read the post directly before yours that addresses this specific topic?
I read it. Since I have to buy new bolts I wanted to make sure I'm not depending solely on anti-seize to prevent the bolt from seizing up. Just trying to put the odds more in my favor.
FJRPittsburgh and wheatonFJR loved this
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Steel_Gin wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:24 pm
Steel_Gin wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:21 pm Now my next question. A co-worked said to make sure you don't use a bolt that will react badly to the frame metal......good suggestion I thought. The bolt that was in there is Stainless Steel, correct? Or is there another option I should use to replace them? I won't be replacing with an Allen head bolt that's for sure.
I read it. Since I have to buy new bolts I wanted to make sure I'm not depending solely on anti-seize to prevent the bolt from seizing up. Just trying to put the odds more in my favor.
And that's exactly what that post addresses. A known-to-work solution to your concern. Juss sayin.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Canadian FJR wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:11 am Glad everything worked out.

Now get some new bolts, a little anti-seize and just snug them up gently.

Canadian FJR
I don't believe the originals are stainless, more like chrome plated..... new ones and anti-seize..... snug.
Steel_Gin and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Don't know why this is even an issue. I agree with Ray that they are more likely chrome plated rather than stainless.
With or without anti-seize, don't tighten them too much and there will never be a problem. I messed up one of the heads on one of mine when I first bought my '07 (lightly used). Previous owner overtightened the bolts and I used a crappy Allen wrench which slipped - head was blemished but still functional. Was always more careful after that making sure the hex key is in good condition and fully seated before applying torque. With the awkward angle, it is easy to get the wrench misaligned.

The ones that I have to be careful about are the two short Allen bolts that hold the plastic tank trim in place. VERY easy to get these going at the wrong angle and cross-threading them. If there is ANY significant resistance, I back off and start again.
Steel_Gin and N4HHE loved this
fjray
Veteran
FJRModel: 04

Post by fjray »

It's amazing how many miles we can get out of a couple bolts. Not as good as an oil thread but a good start. :stickpoke:
Steel_Gin, N4HHE, and wheatonFJR loved this
All things are simple when approached with a simple mind.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

fjray wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:23 am It's amazing how many miles we can get out of a couple bolts. Not as good as an oil thread but a good start. :stickpoke:
I was thinking the same (before I added my two cents worth).
N4HHE loved this
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

fjray wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:23 am It's amazing how many miles we can get out of a couple bolts. Not as good as an oil thread but a good start. :stickpoke:
I always use motorcycle specific ultra virgin ester synthetic $25/qt JASO MA2 on my tank bolts before installing.
Steel_Gin loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

FJRoss wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:48 am The ones that I have to be careful about are the two short Allen bolts that hold the plastic tank trim in place. VERY easy to get these going at the wrong angle and cross-threading them. If there is ANY significant resistance, I back off and start again.
And super easy to overtighten these as well. My left side never finds home, it screws in and spins. I worried I'd lose it but it's been like that for 50K miles with multiple removals and reinstalls and it's still the original one.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.