ABS Block Forensics '06-'07

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

ABS Block Forensics '06-'07

Post by raYzerman »

Reviving my attempt to see how to dissassemble since it's been 3 years since I looked at it... just confirming my conclusion then that it wasn't worth it.... Note also, this applies only to '06-'07 as Gen1, 2008-'12, and Gen3/4 are different and had improvements along the way.

First of all, the block diagram that shows the internal fluid circuitry and valving from the FSM, which explains even more. Note, when ABS not activated, fluid path is in bypass of all that to enable "regular brakes".

Fluid ports.... short roll pins I cannot recall what they were for........ would need a pic of one on the bike.

Flip it over and this is the opposite side, three solenoids on the right, 2 pairs of something on the left, held in with retaining wires. More on that later.

On both ends of the block are a large end cap (8mm hex) and two smaller ones (2.5mm hex). You could guess that the two smaller ones have something to do with retaining the solenoids in place.....

Removal of the large end cap, revealing a head of something inside. Nothing popped out at me, nor could I tap on the block to make it move easily. My guess is these cylindrical objects have o-rings, thus won't slide easily.

Removal of the smaller end caps revealed a long pin that seemed to go half way into the block, perhaps indicating these hold the solenoids in. There are no other indications of how the solenoids are fastened. I managed to tap on the end of the block and only one of the pins would come out. Yes, I tried all four.

Removed motor with two screws, which revealed a needle bearing for the end of the motor shaft to run in. The motor shaft is smooth and is machined to be an eccentric, so obviously moving an internal component perhaps in some oscillating fashion.

As for the 2 pairs of something retained by wire clips... attempts to remove a clip failed, need a really sharp object AND to move the component IN to allow the clip room to come out. Tapped on the component, it moved, did not spring back. Pried wire clip and about 1/8" broke off the end of it, clip would not come out........ As for the two black components, no way to get at the clips unless you were able to drive those things in 1/2". We're not going there, but I suspect the part the motor drives would have to be in the furthest opposite position......

Here is the impossible, on the other face are holes with permanently driven in pins.... don't ask me how you'd get those out or what they are for......
Machined recesses, pins have round heads.........

So, my suggestion is to apply some air pressure to the ports to identify matching ports, then pour in some isopropanol, let sit a bit and blow it through. That will let you know the regular brakes portion is clear.....

You will not necessarily be able to open up (activate) the ABS passages on the bench, you would have to temporarily connect the wiring to the bike and run the ABS diagnostic test...... that could be fun if you think about trying to blow alcohol or fluid through at the same time.....

In any event, I'm sure I could destroy this thing enough to tell something more, but...... project abandoned.
Bust and N4HHE loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Re: ABS Block Forensics '06-'07

Post by ionbeam »

raYzerman wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:01 pm ...In any event, I'm sure I could destroy this thing enough to tell something more, but...... project abandoned.
You got about as far as I did. There are a number of balls that appear to be swaged in, probably to close off passages drilled in the block. When I looked at what was likely to be revealed for the work it would take to remove the balls I gave up. If I can get the use of a chop saw to split the block longitudinally I may revisit the project.
Bust loved this
blind squirrel
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014

Post by blind squirrel »

ionbeam wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:09 pm
raYzerman wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:01 pm ...In any event, I'm sure I could destroy this thing enough to tell something more, but...... project abandoned.
You got about as far as I did. There are a number of balls that appear to be swaged in, probably to close off passages drilled in the block. When I looked at what was likely to be revealed for the work it would take to remove the balls I gave up. If I can get the use of a chop saw to split the block longitudinally I may revisit the project.
I have a metal band saw that would probably be able to cut that for you.
"That feeling is your taint telling you, 'this is a bad idea...'" - extrememarine
tidrick
Squid
FJRModel: 2007

Post by tidrick »

Those metal balls or what was thought to be pins are Koenig style expander plugs. These are used to hold high pressure brake fluid INSIDE this small manifold. That bore in the manifold will have a small counterbore at the "ball" opening. Into that counter bore would be installed a plug - think of a exterior squared off cup with ribs on the OD, interior is slightly cone shaped. The plug is inserted into the counterbore, then the ball is driven down into the ID of the plug which expands the OD to lock and seal in the counterbore. One time use, only way to remove is drill out - not intended for removal. Usually have to clean up the ID of the counterbore and install a slightly larger expander plug to reseal in the case of an in-factory repair or (rare) return to manufacturer for service.

Hope this sheds a tad more light...

:-)

- kbt
raYzerman, wheatonFJR, N4HHE and 1 others loved this
Keith B. Tidrick
STOC# 4361
Boiling Springs, SC

2007 Yamaha FJR1300A - Beautiful Black Cherry - No Name - to be christened when she whispers to me
1998 Honda CBR1100XX - Temptress
1996 Honda ST1100 - SequenT - Sad demise 9 Apr 2020
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

tidrick wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:33 am Those metal balls or what was thought to be pins are Koenig style expander plugs.
Once you provided the search string this explained it: https://www.sfckoenig.com/sfc_product/mb-850-080/

Bore the hole, insert the plug, punch the ball which expands the sides.
tidrick loved this