Cooling problem

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
FjrVfr
Contributor
FJRModel: 2012

Re: Cooling problem

Post by FjrVfr »

If you mean those two inside bolts that also hold the fans - you're not kidding! My hand is still scratched up from just trying to reach in there and feel them. God only knows how you get a socket or a wrench in there.

I'm going to run it for a while and keep my fingers crossed.
"Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

My FJR has been running warm for a few years now. I really noticed it when we were in Colorado for NAFO in 2016. It was hotter'n hell that trip. The fans come on when they should and it hasn't overheated or anything, but I've noticed that, especially in traffic, it's been running warmer than it used to.

Last fall, I pulled the radiator cap just kinda wondering if my dirty ol' whore '04 was perhaps burning a little coolant. The radiator was completely full.

My suspicion is that my radiator is gunked up with 130,000 miles of grime. At some point I plan on trying to (lightly) scrub the radiator fins (and, for the record, that'll be the cleanest spot on my bike!) similar to what you did, Mark, but ultimately my plan is to either:
1. Replace the radiator at fall Tech Day. Maybe.
B. Get a newer, lower-mileage FJR. Maybe.
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

FjrVfr wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:46 pm If you mean those two inside bolts that also hold the fans - you're not kidding! My hand is still scratched up from just trying to reach in there and feel them. God only knows how you get a socket or a wrench in there.

I'm going to run it for a while and keep my fingers crossed.
Pretty sure you'll need the side fairings off. To complicate matters you have to fight the plastic heat deflector (air guide) that is retained by those same two bolts...... shown on Frame diagram.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Canadian FJR
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018 FJR-1300ES, 2010 Ural Gear Up, 2003
Yamaha FJR-1300, 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650 (Gone to a new home), 1997 Suzuki TL-1000s (Gone but not forgotten), 1976 Honda 400 Four, 1968 Honda C-50 Step-thru

Post by Canadian FJR »

FjrVfr
Contributor

Post by FjrVfr »

I changed the radiator this weekend. Here are some comments and results.
ionbeam wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:55 pm The only real issue I've had with removing radiators is the top two bolts.
Great Ceasar's Ghost Allan, you are a master of understatement. That right side bolt took me a couple of hours to figure out. I'm certain my neighbors think I'm either a convicted felon or an ex-Navy Chief based on the foul language coming from my garage. In the end I used my Jeep's scissor jack to help line things up. I highly recommend a second set of hands for this job. If I have to do that again, I'm selling the bike.

The result? Sweetness! I took it on the same test ride as when I swapped out the thermostat. About 60 miles along the river with occasional stop signs, a few lights and lots of 2nd/3rd/4th gear time. It ran four bars nearly the whole way - I'd say 1 or 2 bars less than the last time and the ambient temperature was about 25 degrees higher (mid to high 80's). All is finally well in the cooling department.

As an aside, this was also the first truly hot day that I got to try my Klim Marrakesh jacket & pants (Alex @ BHM). Thumbs up there too. It's gonna be a hot one this summer and I'm as ready as I can be.

Andy - if you want to have a go at yours sometime let me know. It'll be an "R" rated affair (strong language) but I'm sure we can get it done.

Old:

New:

The void:
BikerGeek loved this
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Good deal - glad to hear that the radiator swap cured the issue.
wheatonFJR loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

So, was the radiator clogged??
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

You may want to find a recommended local radiator shop and have the old one refurbished, it'd be worth something.

I took my radiator to a shop that my trusted motorcycle dealer recommended. They fixed the hole, cleaned the outside, cleaned the inside, flow tested it then painted it making it look new. $40, next day pickup.

I think I ended up using a bottle jack to lift the radiator into place because it is small and fits tight spaces . Over a lot of years I have collected a large amount of tools, so I can usually find some combination to get even very difficult jobs done. It's like a game for me to figure it out. Clever or not, I usually find some way to bleed when doing any job in spite of wearing gloves.
HotRodZilla and Bounce loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

ionbeam wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:28 am... Clever or not, I usually find some way to bleed when doing any job in spite of wearing gloves.
You should probably stop using these then...
https://www.wish.com/product/5768f9cad5 ... =mobileweb
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

wheatonFJR wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:53 am
ionbeam wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:28 am... Clever or not, I usually find some way to bleed when doing any job in spite of wearing gloves.
You should probably stop using these then...

That's what I wear when giving employee reviews. :mrgreen:

What I prefer to wear for mechanics use is unlined deerskin gloves. They are soft and supple enough that I still have very good fingertip feel. A representative picture of what I actually purchase from a local Agway.

In addition to the deerskin gloves I have been gifted with several different pair of mechanics gloves. I kill the mechanics gloves quickly.
wheatonFJR loved this
FjrVfr
Contributor

Post by FjrVfr »

wheatonFJR wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:10 am So, was the radiator clogged??
I assume so. Light doesn't pass through the old one as well as the new but it doesn't look horrible. No idea what's on the inside. My guess would be that it's some combination of clogged passages inside and out.
FjrVfr
Contributor

Post by FjrVfr »

ionbeam wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:28 am You may want to find a recommended local radiator shop and have the old one refurbished, it'd be worth something.
I may try that though I don't know of a good radiator shop offhand. I know what you mean about bleeding. Mine had just about healed from doing the thermostat/cleaning. Now I have to start all over again. :)
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

FjrVfr wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:17 pm I may try that though I don't know of a good radiator shop offhand.
PM sent.
wheatonFJR loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face