Rear aftermarket shock overhaul on a 2006 AE

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
yamafitter
Veteran
FJRModel: 06AE
Location: Outside of Toronto therefore off the edge of the world.

Rear aftermarket shock overhaul on a 2006 AE

Post by yamafitter »

Many years ago I replaced the rear shock on my FJR AE with a Wilbers with remote reservoir and hydraulic preload adjuster. I had it serviced once by GP Suspensions and then once again when I had the rear end apart doing linkage service. It would be a fairly simple task to pull the shock itself except that the mounting of the reservoir is such that it requires that the AE Master Clutch mechanism needs to be moved to make room for the reservoir to be removed without disconnecting the hydraulic line connecting the reservoir to the shock body.

To access the master clutch assembly is not that simple since a lot of the ABS plumbing is in the way and I wanted to check the swingarm bearings so I ended up pulling the swingarm which required pulling the driveshaft and a number of other bits and pieces along the way. I will probably also take the opportunity to rebuild the master clutch assembly while I have everything apart.

I took the Wilbers shock over to an authorized Wilbers service center in the area (Buckhorn) but unfortunately they are severely backed up and it is going to be 6 to 8 weeks before I get the shock back. I also ordered the parts required to service the forks so I will be doing that while I wait but that is only a one day job anyways.

This might just be the final impudence I needed to go out and get that 700 Tenere. Just hoping I remember how everything goes back together.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: Rear aftermarket shock overhaul on a 2006 AE

Post by raYzerman »

You know if you make me come over there..... be aware I have never worked on an AE nor did I witness the 'deconstruction', therefore all I can offer you is that your beer and whiskey supplies will be taken down a notch. Then I will be more likely to forget stuff and my blurred vision may not be able to interpret the FSM correctly. All you have to do is decide if you want my 'help'.
Bust, wheatonFJR, HotRodZilla and 1 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Abercrombie FJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by Abercrombie FJR »

raYzerman wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:18 pm You know if you make me come over there..... be aware I have never worked on an AE nor did I witness the 'deconstruction', therefore all I can offer you is that your beer and whiskey supplies will be taken down a notch. Then I will be more likely to forget stuff and my blurred vision may not be able to interpret the FSM correctly. All you have to do is decide if you want my 'help'.
Ya can't resist an offer like that!
wheatonFJR, HotRodZilla, and natehawk750 loved this
Have you done anything to improve your rider skills or knowledge lately?

2014 FJR, 2013 Super Tenere, 2019 Ducati Hypermotard 950SP, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, 2006 Ducati 999, 2018 Beta 500 RR-S, 2016 Scorpa 300, 2020 Yamaha WR250R.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Yamaha Service Manual:
Shock removal
1. Remove top bolt.
2. Remove bottom bolt.
3. Remove shock.

FJR AE Owner:
F*CK YOU YAMAHA!!!!
wheatonFJR, FJRPittsburgh, yamafitter and 1 others loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
yamafitter
Veteran

Post by yamafitter »

gixxerjasen wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:52 am I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Yamaha Service Manual:
Shock removal
1. Remove top bolt.
2. Remove bottom bolt.
3. Remove shock.

FJR AE Owner:
F*CK YOU YAMAHA!!!!
The FSM was written by someone that is not aware of the existence of the AE model.
wheatonFJR, HotRodZilla, FJRPittsburgh and 1 others loved this
yamafitter
Veteran

Post by yamafitter »

raYzerman wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:18 pm You know if you make me come over there..... be aware I have never worked on an AE nor did I witness the 'deconstruction', therefore all I can offer you is that your beer and whiskey supplies will be taken down a notch. Then I will be more likely to forget stuff and my blurred vision may not be able to interpret the FSM correctly. All you have to do is decide if you want my 'help'.
Not only will Ray completely deplete my stock of 40 Creek he will be spending far too much time routing through my toolbox. The only reason he won’t be leaving with a truckload of my tools is that he doesn’t own a truck anymore. He now has a Jeep. Yes, he is one of THOSE people.

Actually I was the one that ended up with FYB’s screwdriver but Ray got blamed for it. I’m good with that
Bust, wheatonFJR, HotRodZilla and 2 others loved this
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

yamafitter wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:04 pm
gixxerjasen wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:52 am I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Yamaha Service Manual:
Shock removal
1. Remove top bolt.
2. Remove bottom bolt.
3. Remove shock.

FJR AE Owner:
F*CK YOU YAMAHA!!!!
The FSM was written by someone that is not aware of the existence of the AE model.
2007 and up shows a separate AE service manual, does it not show AE parts in the rear shock service section?
yamafitter
Veteran

Post by yamafitter »

While the comment was somewhat facetious it is not as simple as removing the rear and top shock bolts. The larger issue with my aftermarket shock however is the routing required to mount the remote reservoir. There is simply no way of getting the shock out with the remote reservoir intact without unbolting the AE master clutch cylinder mechanism. The easiest way to perform that is to remove the swingarm.

I would have preferred a piggyback Ohlins but unfortunately it will not fit due to the restricted area at the top of the shock. You are required to use the remote reservoir shock. The hydraulic preload adjuster mounting is straightforward and very simple but the reservoir, not so much.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos to show the issue caused by the need to remove all the bits and pieces. It is going to be awhile before I have the shock back and then I will be able to take a few photos that will show the problem more clearly, a picture being worth a thousand words.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Which aftermarket shock do you have? I don't recall any issues with that specifically. It's been a while since I've been through this beer drinking intense cussing operation. I remember something about the top bolt being easy to loosen but impossible to remove because something was in the way. I don't remember the specifics though, but I'll likely be doing this again in the near future.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

yamafitter
Veteran

Post by yamafitter »

The issue with the top bolt is that you can get the bolt out that the bracket that holds the ABS block is in the way. If you move the shock and turn the bolt head just right you can get the bolt out and remove the shock.

I have a Wilbers shock the reservoir gets mounted just beside the rear brake pedal. The hose runs between the frame and clutch master cylinder assembly. It is impossible to remove the shock and reservoir without removing the clutch assembly.
wheatonFJR and gixxerjasen loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

yamafitter wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:51 pm The issue with the top bolt is that you can get the bolt out that the bracket that holds the ABS block is in the way. If you move the shock and turn the bolt head just right you can get the bolt out and remove the shock.
THAT is it. Now I remember. Sucks about that issue with the reservoir, don't recall that with the Penske I don't think.
My Blog

HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

yamafitter wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:51 pm The issue with the top bolt is that you can get the bolt out that the bracket that holds the ABS block is in the way. If you move the shock and turn the bolt head just right you can get the bolt out and remove the shock.

I have a Wilbers shock the reservoir gets mounted just beside the rear brake pedal. The hose runs between the frame and clutch master cylinder assembly. It is impossible to remove the shock and reservoir without removing the clutch assembly.
Would any of that change if you relocated the shock reservoir? My reservoir with the adjustment knob is just a hair forward of, but behind my right bag near the top of the bag. I don't have an AE and I've never looked under one's skirt, so I have no idea how cluttered it is under there. Just a thought though!
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

It doesn't matter which shock, getting past that ABS plumbing is tight.
You can mount the reservoir various places, but you want it high enough and clear of swingarm travel.........
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
yamafitter
Veteran

Post by yamafitter »

Here is a photo of the bracket that holds the reservoir that Wilbers supplied and how little space there is to route the hose between the clutch master cylinder and the frame above the swingarm. In this photo the swingarm is already removed. Because of all the other plumbing with ABS and all the other lines associated with the AE there really is not a tidier location for the reservoir. Since I only need to service the shock every two years based on the limited mileage the FJR has gone over the last few years it is not that bad since taking the rear end all apart gives me the opportunity to service all of the other suspension linkage at the same time....

gixxerjasen loved this
Road Runner
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR Advanced Edition
1987 KLR 650 Thumper

Post by Road Runner »

Oh boy. I just saw this tread. I am going to be installing an Ohlins YA-707 with a remote reservoir on my 08 AE soon. The Ohlins reservoir gets mounted where the rear set and muffler hanger is bolted to frame. I hope that is easier, fingers crossed.
wheatonFJR loved this
"A biker never knows" - Tim Allen

Art
Road Runner
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR Advanced Edition
1987 KLR 650 Thumper

Post by Road Runner »

yamafitter wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:40 pm Many years ago I replaced the rear shock on my FJR AE with a Wilbers with remote reservoir and hydraulic preload adjuster. I had it serviced once by GP Suspensions and then once again when I had the rear end apart doing linkage service. It would be a fairly simple task to pull the shock itself except that the mounting of the reservoir is such that it requires that the AE Master Clutch mechanism needs to be moved to make room for the reservoir to be removed without disconnecting the hydraulic line connecting the reservoir to the shock body.

To access the master clutch assembly is not that simple since a lot of the ABS plumbing is in the way and I wanted to check the swingarm bearings so I ended up pulling the swingarm which required pulling the driveshaft and a number of other bits and pieces along the way. I will probably also take the opportunity to rebuild the master clutch assembly while I have everything apart.

I took the Wilbers shock over to an authorized Wilbers service center in the area (Buckhorn) but unfortunately they are severely backed up and it is going to be 6 to 8 weeks before I get the shock back. I also ordered the parts required to service the forks so I will be doing that while I wait but that is only a one day job anyways.

This might just be the final impudence I needed to go out and get that 700 Tenere. Just hoping I remember how everything goes back together.

Oh boy. I just saw this tread. I am going to be installing an Ohlins YA-707 with a remote reservoir on my 08 AE soon. The Ohlins reservoir gets mounted where the rear set and muffler hanger is bolted to frame. I hope that is easier, fingers crossed.
"A biker never knows" - Tim Allen

Art