The FJRs Traction Control is not what I thought it was

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Re: The FJRs Traction Control is not what I thought it was

Post by Uncle Hud »

mcatrophy wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:21 pm (Monty Python anyone?)
Benny Hill ... for the ladies in underwear.
bill lumberg loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
mcatrophy
FJRModel: 2018 FJR1300AS

Post by mcatrophy »

ionbeam wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:17 pm
mcatrophy wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:59 pm
ionbeam wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:48 pm ...
You forgot to stop and have a fag on the way to the loo. Keep your pecker up.
That's beginning to sound like the caricature of English speech that appears in low budget American TV programs :o . But at least you are trying ;) .
In Boston airport while my brother-in-law is getting ready to board his flight back to the UK he yells, 'have you got a fag?' Sister-in-law tells him that phrase doesn't mean the same thing here in the US. As he is moving past the gate attendant he yells, 'keep your pecker up'. SIL distanced herself from him as they boarded. That's the source of my comments.

Me mum-in-law steadfastly had boots and bonnets on her Austins and MGs here in the US. Right. And tea happens every afternoon with scones. The tea is made with the leafs in the pot and served with milk. My wife can't make it through the afternoon without her tea. It was impossible for me mum-in-law to leave the house without her scarf. Home made Christmas pudding always came with silver charms. It always came as a shock to American guests when they found leafs in the tea and bit into a charm at desert. After a number of rounds of PIMMS everyone found it funny. Within the confines of their Victorian house it was a little transplanted corner of the UK. (PIMMS is a blast during the evening and it's a real headache the next morning.)

My wife's sister still has such a cockney accent that I'm not always sure she is speaking English. MIL had a sweet, mild London accent that everyone loved to hear.
Both "fag"and "pecker" have more than one meaning in English English, context usually defines whether it's a polite meaning or a not so polite one that is meant. Though asking for a fag whilst boarding an aircraft seems a little peculiar.

I'm pleased to hear someone actually knows how to make a decent cup of tea. When in America I gave up on tea, a teabag dangling in a mug of warm water isn't tea. Not that most coffee there tastes much better. Only the Italians and Spanish seem to make decent coffee.

Not sure about American English, but the English English plural of "leaf" is "leaves", so it's tea leaves in the pot. But they shouldn't get into the cup, the tea should be poured through a strainer so removing any flotsam.

When I was a kid, there was always a sixpence coin in the Christmas pudding, but at least we always knew to expect it. Though whoever got it couldn't keep it :cry: .

Though what all this has to do with traction control I'm not sure ...
Uncle Hud, Full House, and wheatonFJR loved this
mcatrophy
2018 FJR1300AS - AE in the USA, if only they could have one :o .
2014 FJR1300AS 2010 FJR1300AS 2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonnevill '55 Tiger Cub
ImageMy web site
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Threadshitters all of you! :D

Calling English peculiar is an oxymoron, doncha think? J/k there mr atrophy. Just teasin. And I do remember your post about crossing that stream/river while On the bridge.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

Getting back to TC. It's so fun in TC 2 on the S10 to see that light come on at 65 mph while spinning up the rear on a Nevada gravel road :twisted:
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
Abercrombie FJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by Abercrombie FJR »

Bugnatr wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:44 am You'd be surprised how often the traction control light comes on in my Prius.
Bitch Please!
HotRodZilla and Uncle Hud loved this
Have you done anything to improve your rider skills or knowledge lately?

2014 FJR, 2013 Super Tenere, 2019 Ducati Hypermotard 950SP, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, 2006 Ducati 999, 2018 Beta 500 RR-S, 2016 Scorpa 300, 2020 Yamaha WR250R.
Abercrombie FJR
Contributor
Veteran

That's beginning to sound like the caricature of English speech that appears in low budget American TV programs :o . But at least you are trying ;) .
I was in the US Air Force during early 80 at Lakenheath Air Force base England working in fuels. We had two old blokes delivering ground fuels onto the base everyday and I learned everything about the other English I needed to know. Their favorite saying was " Bloody Yanks, over paid, over sexed, and over here". I'm not sure why I never went off base and had a couple pints with them. I'm thinking I would've learned even more. :stickpoke:
HotRodZilla and Uncle Hud loved this

2014 FJR, 2013 Super Tenere, 2019 Ducati Hypermotard 950SP, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, 2006 Ducati 999, 2018 Beta 500 RR-S, 2016 Scorpa 300, 2020 Yamaha WR250R.
mcatrophy

Post by mcatrophy »

Abercrombie FJR wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:25 am
I was in the US Air Force during early 80 at Lakenheath Air Force base England working in fuels. We had two old blokes delivering ground fuels onto the base everyday and I learned everything about the other English I needed to know. Their favorite saying was " Bloody Yanks, over paid, over sexed, and over here". I'm not sure why I never went off base and had a couple pints with them. I'm thinking I would've learned even more. :stickpoke:
My late wife grew up in Mildenhall. Her father owned properties there that were rented to American servicemen posted to both Mildenhall and Lakenheath air bases. The family got on very well with the Americans (with a very few exceptions). I still have a part interest in a couple of houses there through inheritance.

The phrase "Bloody Yanks, over paid, over sexed, and over here", or very similar (might include overfed or overdressed) was originally used in Australia, but soon became well known here in the UK.

The British are generally very grateful for how the Americans have helped us in the past (though, of course, my principles would never allow me to admit it).
bill lumberg, HotRodZilla, bigjohnsd and 1 others loved this
mcatrophy
2014 FJR1300AS 2010 FJR1300AS 2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonnevill '55 Tiger Cub
ImageMy web site
mcatrophy

Post by mcatrophy »

wheatonFJR wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:47 pm Threadshitters all of you! :D

Calling English peculiar is an oxymoron, doncha think? J/k there mr atrophy. Just teasin. And I do remember your post about crossing that stream/river while On the bridge.
Is that the English language or the English people? Not that it matters, applies to both.

For the record, Underwater traction control, you need to be a member there to view it.
Uncle Hud and wheatonFJR loved this
mcatrophy
ImageMy web site
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Uncle Hud wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:34 pm
mcatrophy wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:21 pm (Monty Python anyone?)
Benny Hill ... for the ladies in underwear.
Jimmy Carr. Absolutely Hilarious. I get in trouble sitting on the couch listening to him. One of the kids or wife will come by and hear his performance. I am laughing and he is cussing.
wheatonFJR loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Ok - the mystery has been solved.

It's the end of sugar cane cutting season. They load the trucks in the field, and they haul it to the mill. And when they get on the roads, they track all the mudd, soot, and crap with them. Suffice it to say the roads are gritty now.

So today, I'm riding out in the country. The weather is perfect, nice north breeze, about 60 degrees. The old red girl is running right, and most peeps are apparently at work, at the bar, or not f@$king here. The road is curvy and I'm all by myself.

I come upon a left hand sweeper. It's marked 35, but I know this curve well. The cane is cut to the field on the left. I can see all the way around the curve and there ain't nothing in sight. I lean the girl over in 3rd gear, and just past the apex, I grab a hand full of throttle. She plants the chassis and all of a sudden, stand up a bit. I look down to see the tell-taled light. Good thing and saving grace for the habitual "outside, inside, outside" lane position. No problem, I've got 10 plus feet of lane to work with. I back off for a split second, countersteer, and hit it again.

Maybe the T/C IS what I thought it would be.....
bill lumberg, HotRodZilla, Abercrombie FJR and 2 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Abercrombie FJR
Contributor
Veteran

Hppants wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:27 pm Ok - the mystery has been solved.

It's the end of sugar cane cutting season. They load the trucks in the field, and they haul it to the mill. And when they get on the roads, they track all the mudd, soot, and crap with them. Suffice it to say the roads are gritty now.

So today, I'm riding out in the country. The weather is perfect, nice north breeze, about 60 degrees. The old red girl is running right, and most peeps are apparently at work, at the bar, or not f@$king here. The road is curvy and I'm all by myself.

I come upon a left hand sweeper. It's marked 35, but I know this curve well. The cane is cut to the field on the left. I can see all the way around the curve and there ain't nothing in sight. I lean the girl over in 3rd gear, and just past the apex, I grab a hand full of throttle. She plants the chassis and all of a sudden, stand up a bit. I look down to see the tell-taled light. Good thing and saving grace for the habitual "outside, inside, outside" lane position. No problem, I've got 10 plus feet of lane to work with. I back off for a split second, countersteer, and hit it again.

Maybe the T/C IS what I thought it would be.....
Now don't be an idiot like me and attempt to get that light flashing on every corner just for the fun of it. :lol:
Hppants and HotRodZilla loved this

Madmudder
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300es Metallic Black
2000 Honda VFR800 Blue

Post by Madmudder »

[/quote]Now don't be an idiot like me and attempt to get that light flashing on every corner just for the fun of it. :lol:[/quote]

Unless you have done something to improve your rider skills or knowledge lately? :D
Abercrombie FJR loved this
2014 FJR1300es
Abercrombie FJR
Contributor
Veteran

Madmudder wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:52 pm
Now don't be an idiot like me and attempt to get that light flashing on every corner just for the fun of it. :lol:[/quote]

Unless you have done something to improve your rider skills or knowledge lately? :D
[/quote]

The problem with gaining knowledge and exploring the limits of traction on a motorcycle is that eventually you find it. :o
Hppants, wheatonFJR, Madmudder and 3 others loved this

HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

ionbeam wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:21 pm
Madmudder wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:05 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:47 pm I don’t pull wheelies either. However, I assure you that when 2-up, that front comes up a lot faster than I ever thought it would when whacking the throttle open for a quick pass. (Is there any other kind?)
I thought that was the sole reason for riding 2 up!
I packed up a fairly large tool kit and went over to nearby neighbor Speedjunkie's house to work on his bike. Successful work was done during the afternoon. Speedjunkie says, let's go for a ride, Island Pond road is a hoot. I put my tool kit on the rear rack and tied it on. Off we went. Island Pond was a hoot. I hit one of the really sharp corners really hot, braked hard and gassed it coming off the apex while leaned over into foot peg sparking country. With the weight on the rear rack my '04 popped a huge wheelie while I was still leaned over :o Things got real exciting for a few split seconds. Forget the passenger for wheelies, put a heavy tool bag on the tail rack and you will be good to go. Too good to go sometimes. I never knew I could ride a unicycle right up to that point. Stark terror can make a fast student out of ya. The last thing I wanted to do was slam the front wheel down until I had the cornering under control.
You know, this post and the hand glider post are making me think there is WAY more hooligan in you than any of us thinks. Just let it out man. This is a safe space!
Last edited by HotRodZilla on Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Im pretty sure I knew Alan's proclivities from posts early on in the Forums.

Subject#2: Having accidents won't necessarily add to your knowledge or wisdom. Especially if you have no memory of the event. It will make you try and search for it though.
HotRodZilla loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey