Transmission recall

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Re: Transmission recall

Post by escapefjrtist »

Glad the weather cooperated and you could deliver the FJR. Hope the repair goes well Fontanaman!
fontanaman wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:48 pm <<snip>> The call of the Bavarian Siren with the large jugs remains strong.
Got any pics?? :D

~G
fontanaman and wheatonFJR loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
Dshane
Squid
FJRModel: 2018 FJR 1300A

Post by Dshane »

Well, I picked my '18 up after the recall, did a quick 5 mile test ride before I put it on the trailer, everything was good, no issues at all. They have 5 more bikes already lined up for the next few weeks to do the recall. Quite happy. Wish it was bit warmer, 20 degrees.
Cheesehead and bill lumberg loved this
Bugs
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2018A

Post by Bugs »

I’ve got a recall appt. for next Tuesday. Plan A was to ride the bike to the shop yesterday so they’d have it bright and early Tuesday morning.

Friday evening, we returned from a trip to Yellowstone and found 4” of snow. Saturday added another 5”. Still more snow is forecast for Monday.

It’s been a beautiful winter for riding so far – lots of snow in the mountains and only rain here in the valley. Got the snow plowed from my driveway yesterday and unburied the FJR. Now I need to break out the car trailer and load up the bike for delivery on Tuesday.

I called the dealership yesterday. They told me they started the recall work last week and I am 3rd in line. The work on the first two bikes is taking a bit longer than they planned, so while they originally estimated I’d get my bike back by Sat (Feb 20th), completion may now extend into the following week. I told him that is fine. I have no problem riding through the winter cold, but my bike days are on hold until the snow melts.
The fact that there's a Highway to Hell and only a Stairway to Heaven should tell you something about anticipated traffic.
Straight roads are for fast bikes. Turns are for fast riders.
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

NTXFJR wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:58 pm
NTXFJR wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:00 pm Called my dealer a bit ago, yep there's a recall for sure. Imagine that. He's checking for parts availability and will let me know when to drop it off, then I asked for the complimentary all inclusive warranty funded Rayzerman express pick up and delivery, no go. Imagine that.
My dealer called me last week to inform that the parts came in, so I dropped my bike off Saturday. He said it should be about a week. Then I asked him what they'd charge to do a valve check while they were in there, $200 to check, $350 if they have to pull the cams. Being a cheap bastard is difficult sometimes.
Got a call Friday from the dealer. Engine with new transmission is back in. Only one valve showed loose on the valve check, he had mercy and offered to shim it for $75. With the shit weather we have here in DFW, I won't be picking it up any time soon.
N4HHE loved this
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

This recall working out well for the shops. It is good to have work in the winter. Most of us are getting parts without extensive delays.

I asked the shop to quote a relay arm service and swap the orientation of the center stand bolt. Waiting for the quote.
N4HHE loved this
Bugs
Casual Rider

Post by Bugs »

Locked and Loaded.
Ready for delivery to my recall appointment Tuesday.

The fact that there's a Highway to Hell and only a Stairway to Heaven should tell you something about anticipated traffic.
sunnyorlando
Squid

Post by sunnyorlando »

You matte blue - How do you take care of the matte paint? Any specific products you use with good results? To me, its my only drawback on mine... I've found it to be a tough finish to keep up.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Soap and water. Chemical guys matte sealant sucks- really bad on the plastics. Not a fan of the snake oil claims of all the quick retailers out there, but flowgenix works better than anything else I’ve tried. Mequiars/F11/chemical guys matte detailer/etc. all about the same. Flowgenix works better.

... on recalled transmissions and matte paint.
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Tommy848
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2018 FJR 1300 ES

Post by Tommy848 »

bill lumberg wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:43 pm Cross posted. But you know I love you best... Mine was completed today. Scheduled for Tuesday, two days later I got the call. They have heat cycled 5 times without issue. They want to ride it some tomorrow, they don’t want me to pick it up until they’ve put some miles on it. I said “hell, get somebody to ride it home, it’s insured”. But they won’t ride it in the rain.....

Pickup will be tomorrow evening or Saturday, depending upon how it performs after (and during) tomorrow’s check ride, and if I can manage to get there after work, which is not a given.

I feel better just knowing it’s “done” and running.
I am still waiting for the phone call for parts availability at a dealership up in Asheville, NC. Where did you get yours done at? I may have to give them a call and see if they could get me in. If parts are being ordered by the VIN then they may not order another kit if the Asheville dealer actually ordered them.
N4HHE and wheatonFJR loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Snowing here in Spokane Washington. With the chilly forecast the street I live on might be ice covered the rest of the week. The bike is in the shop and I will happy for them to keep it until the polar weather vacates the area.
bigjohnsd loved this
Spininprop
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022ES
Traded 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600

Post by Spininprop »

I'll second that...another 5-8" called for in south central PA for Thursday. I hope spring is early despite the big rats call for another 6 weeks of winter. Like to get more miles on the fixed trans before (another hope) my trip to devils tower and the surrounding area in June.
fontanaman and FJRPittsburgh loved this
IBA# 84110
2022 FJR1300ES
2016 FJR1300A Traded
2013 GSX-R1000 Traded
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Traded
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Freedom Powersports in Canton. They know what they’re doing.
Tommy848 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:16 pm
bill lumberg wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:43 pm Cross posted. But you know I love you best... Mine was completed today. Scheduled for Tuesday, two days later I got the call. They have heat cycled 5 times without issue. They want to ride it some tomorrow, they don’t want me to pick it up until they’ve put some miles on it. I said “hell, get somebody to ride it home, it’s insured”. But they won’t ride it in the rain.....

Pickup will be tomorrow evening or Saturday, depending upon how it performs after (and during) tomorrow’s check ride, and if I can manage to get there after work, which is not a given.

I feel better just knowing it’s “done” and running.
I am still waiting for the phone call for parts availability at a dealership up in Asheville, NC. Where did you get yours done at? I may have to give them a call and see if they could get me in. If parts are being ordered by the VIN then they may not order another kit if the Asheville dealer actually ordered them.
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
sunnyorlando
Squid

Post by sunnyorlando »

bill lumberg wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:19 am Soap and water. Chemical guys matte sealant sucks- really bad on the plastics. Not a fan of the snake oil claims of all the quick retailers out there, but flowgenix works better than anything else I’ve tried. Mequiars/F11/chemical guys matte detailer/etc. all about the same. Flowgenix works better.

... on recalled transmissions and matte paint.
I tried the Chemical Guys Matte Detail Spray Sealant - not only does it stink when used on its own, it really did not do any good leaving spots and streaks. What seems to work when washing is the Chemical Guys Matte Detail Spray Sealant on while wet as indicated by the rep- then dry it. It comes out looking good. What I'm missing is something for an in between wash detail. The rep suggest I use the Wrap Detailer, but once again - streaks and spots.
Also tried Flitz Flat/Matte Finish Cleaner - Its OK, but nothing special
I've found it tough to keep clean unless washed, no in between product to use like for a clear coat. And when spots or bugs stick to it, you cant polish like clear coat. My only disappointment so far is the Matte Finish.

I just looked at the Flowgenix... had not noticed that one before. Which product specifically? I dont see one for matte paints.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Their (chemical guys) matte detailer works great. The matte sealant is simply terrible. The regular flowgenix waterless detailer works surprisingly well.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
sunnyorlando
Squid

Post by sunnyorlando »

Interesting.. I'm having the opposite when spraying the sealant while wet then drying it all together. Did you try that?
This Flowgenix: Flowgenix™ Grand Finale Breakthrough Detailing Spray ?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I have no experience with matte but have you guys tried good old fashioned cheap carwash liquid (which may have a hint of wax)? I mean, wash and dry only. Bug guts can be broken down with simply a wet soaked towel left to sit on them, or perhaps the good old hydrogen peroxide. I guess I'm questioning the need for a wax.
In case a wax might work, how about after washing, use Honda Polish. Doesn't leave a real residue like a wax will, even though it contains a wax.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
sunnyorlando
Squid

Post by sunnyorlando »

raYzerman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:13 pm I have no experience with matte but have you guys tried good old fashioned cheap carwash liquid (which may have a hint of wax)? I mean, wash and dry only. Bug guts can be broken down with simply a wet soaked towel left to sit on them, or perhaps the good old hydrogen peroxide. I guess I'm questioning the need for a wax.
In case a wax might work, how about after washing, use Honda Polish. Doesn't leave a real residue like a wax will, even though it contains a wax.
Well, I have never had a matte finished vehicle until this one. And everything I've read says don't use wax based or abrasive products. So... I've been trying matte specific products so I don't damage what is already (apparently) a fairly sensitive finish.
Canadian FJR
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018 FJR-1300ES, 2010 Ural Gear Up, 2003
Yamaha FJR-1300, 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650 (Gone to a new home), 1997 Suzuki TL-1000s (Gone but not forgotten), 1976 Honda 400 Four, 1968 Honda C-50 Step-thru

Post by Canadian FJR »

Dawn dish detergent, warm water and use the two bucket method.
For light cleaning I use the no longer produced Yamaha water based cleaner. Spray bottle, not the aerosol. No wax, no silicone.
I bought a bunch of it when I heard it was going away.

Canadian FJR
bill lumberg loved this
boyitgobob
Squid
FJRModel: 2014 ES , 2006 FJR , 2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Post by boyitgobob »

“Hostingby FJR Movie Channel” posted the FJR1300 transmission tips replacement video on YouTube. Interesting to see how they go about it. Search for Hostingby.
kieefjr and wheatonFJR loved this
Bugs
Casual Rider

Post by Bugs »

Good news and bad news on my trans recall.

The FJR went in on Tuesday for it's recall work. Thursday morning, I got a call that they were buttoning up the bike and would be finished by the end of the day. However, in the process, they found a large nail in the rear tire. There is no indication of a puncture inside the tire, but they said it has a very slow air leak.

They had replaced this tire last October and it has less than 300 miles on it.

I briefly test-rode the bike when I picked it up this morning and the trans feels normal - no discernable differences.

This tire issue is motivating me to finally learn how to repair, mount & balance bike tires. A new tire is now installed, but I have the original to play with.

wheatonFJR, N4HHE, and Cav47 loved this