Transmission recall

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Re: Transmission recall

Post by fontanaman »

Got around to checking the engine coolant level. The bike was cold. Removed the reservoir cap then inserted a small hose into the reservoir while blowing in the hose. You can here the coolant bubbling and see the top of the reservoir with a flashlight. I observed the bubbling coolant over the max level mark. With the reservoir coolant just beyond the max mark it is very difficult to see the coolant level from the side of the reservoir. I will make a point to inspect this before I ride for a while.

Checked the engine oil today as well. Bike is cold and on the center stand on flat garage floor - yeah I know the engine should be warm and sit for x minutes.

Yesterday with a warm engine after riding 25 miles I let it sit a bit on the center stand and inspected the oil level. It looked over filled.

Today with a cold engine the oil level is about the same as yesterday. Can see just a bit of air at the top of sight glass. To make sure it wasn't grossly overfilled I put the bike on the side stand on a 2x4, got on my knees to see the sight glass while tipping the bike to center then ever so slightly to the right. The little bitty air bubble a the top of the sight glass got a bit bigger when tip just to the right ever so slightly. So bike has has about 1/8 to 1/4 quart more oil than it should. I am going to leave it alone.

And I forgot to mention the dealer inspected / serviced the rear suspension pivot points while they were in there free of charge. Nice.

Thank goodness I don't live anywhere near Chicago.
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

With the help of everyone's favorite fjriders discussion board member raYzerman I picked up my '16 today.
The ride up the my driveway went well.

Such an occasion deserves appropriate musical accompaniment..

bill lumberg, raYzerman, and El Toro Joe loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

He was so overjoyed all he could talk about on the way home was that song......
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

raYzerman wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:52 am He was so overjoyed all he could talk about on the way home was that song......
Yeah either the song or his next elephant circumcision. JSNS. :D
bigjohnsd loved this
Cheesehead
Squid
FJRModel: 2018A

Post by Cheesehead »

The dealer I am using has been great on the front end.

The work is not done yet, but I have it set to go in on Tuesday. Will be number 6 or 7 in the line of bikes the dealership needs to do. The mechanic assigned to do these has been a motorcycle mechanic for 20 years. Yes I know that can mean all sorts of things, but it gave me peace of mind. They had parts and gave me zero pushback at all on them wanting to do the work.

I will put in the shameless plug (no affiliation other than this is the dealership that I bought my 2018 from brand new for $12,200 as a one year hold over), to Fuel Power Sports in West Bend, WI. If the shamless plug has to go please delete. I will give it to them on Tuesday and expect it back (my esitmate) in 30 days. Based on my 6 or 7th place in the queue.
HotRodZilla loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I called my service manager today, right at closing time, to let him know that I have almost 1,000 miles on the rebuilt bike, and I really appreciate them taking good care of me.
Cheesehead, Hppants, D-Eagle and 5 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

bill lumberg wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:09 am 1 gallon with a filter change is always what mine have taken as far as oil.
For me, 5 minutes after first start only 4 quarts is near bottom of sight glass with new filter.
After several days of riding, my coolant (post recall) went from perfectly at the high mark, to the very bottom of the bottle. No smell, no drip. I topped it off through the fairing and no further issues. Must have been a burp.
Doesn't take that much volume but there is air dissolved in the coolant which escapes after a few heat cycles. This is why the coolant recovery tank is such a good idea. This gas (and big air bubbles) burps out leaving more effective liquid behind.

A good tech uses a vacuum pump on shock oil to extract dissolved air. Not much point on doing this for fork oil.
bill lumberg loved this
N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

Till waiting for callback. ☹️
N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

I has been long enough waiting that I need to quit being nice about scheduling my transmission. And my brake light switch. CC kicked off this afternoon. Last few weeks I have noticed it was easy to unintentionally disengage by twisting the throttle back, or at least I think that was what was happening. Deliberate disengagement requires more deliberate effort to close the throttle than what I know I was doing.

This afternoon the CC just disengaged, certain I didn't do anything, but unlike past events it would not re-engage. Turned it off/on, no luck. Squeezed front brake, then CC would re-engage. I really don't like not knowing if my brake light is illuminated. Tesla and Subaru Outback have a cartoon picture of the car center on the instrument panel. Brake lights on the cartoon illuminate when brakes are applied. The brake lights on the cartoons are very small, but present.
RacinRay
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES 2011 Triumph Speed Triple

Post by RacinRay »

I picked up my '16ES today after recalls were performed. The bike ran fine on the way home (8 miles).

The dealer told me they replaced the front fender and a small visor panel because they got scratched during reassembly. Fine, they owned up and fixed their mistakes.

Now the bike is home and I notice the SAE plug for my battery tender is not hanging next to the battery. I figured they left it sitting on top of the battery. So I take off the panel and find the tail is still connected to the battery but the end is routed somewhere down underneath the battery and I can't find it.

Then I noticed two missing fasteners on the fairing panels. A rivet by the glove box and a hex head by the battery.

Then I see the oil level is over the top of the sight glass

I'm f@$king pissed off. What am I not seeing. I have no confidence in the work done.
The dildo of consequences never arrives lubed.
Hack
Veteran

Post by Hack »

RacinRay wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:54 pm I have no confidence in the work done.

Mine was handed back with a couple of FUBAR'd rivets, the Fuel tank vent hose and the air box vent hose/filter missing.
I got my hoses back from the dealer and reinstalled them myself. The rivets were replaced courtesy of raYzeman.
However, if a client drops off an intact motorcycle... It should be returned intact.

I prefer to believe the mechanic who did my bike paid such close attention to the critical aspects of the job that these non critical items simply got away from him or were assigned to an apprentice who just fucked up.

I haven't had an opportunity to ride the bike since the transmission was "fixed" so I can't comment on that...
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Ray, check that oil level again.... properly filled will fill the sight glass when cold.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5707
N4HHE loved this
Cheesehead
Squid

Post by Cheesehead »

Hack wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:13 am

Mine was handed back with a couple of FUBAR'd rivets, the Fuel tank vent hose and the air box vent hose/filter missing.
I got my hoses back from the dealer and reinstalled them myself. The rivets were replaced courtesy of raYzeman.
However, if a client drops off an intact motorcycle... It should be returned intact.

I prefer to believe the mechanic who did my bike paid such close attention to the critical aspects of the job that these non critical items simply got away from him or were assigned to an apprentice who just fucked up.

I haven't had an opportunity to ride the bike since the transmission was "fixed" so I can't comment on that...
Do you have any pictures of the damaged missing parts to point our some of what to look for? I am still waiting to get my call to come pick up my "fixed" motorcycle and want to give it a solid look see before leaving out of the dealership. Any obvious inspection items I should be concerned about beyond oil level, coolant level, etc.?

Thanks,

John
Hack
Veteran

Post by Hack »

Cheesehead wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:10 am
Do you have any pictures of the damaged missing parts to point our some of what to look for?

"Damaged" might be a bit harsh to describe the state of the pop rivets I referred to... They were just all loosy-goosy and had lost their "pop".
This could have been caused by some ham-fisted overly rough handling or... Just as likely they'd just worn out. The rivets in question are the two used to help secure the battery cover panel... Probably the two most pop'd and re-pop'd fasteners on the bike.

The hoses... Not "damaged", just forgotten.
The fuel tank vent hose runs from the left rear bottom of the tank... Down and rearward to a clip beside the shock

The air box vent/filter... slips over a "nipple" that stickes out of the front, bottom of the air box... As best I can figure it just hangs there. Perhaps a zip tie somewhere in there will help keep it secure, but... Mine doesn't look like it'll go anywhere.
I can't find a pic or diagram that shows its OEM routing..
Cheesehead loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

It's an airbox drain, and the filter has a one-way valve... it will likely stay on the nipple but should have one of those wire clamps, item 20. I know a guy with spares.

Cheesehead loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Spare nipples? I saw that on a James Bond film once. No biggie.
FastPappy loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

fontanaman wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:32 pm Yeah either the song or his next elephant circumcision. JSNS. :D
Deep Fried or Broiled? Bet they would sell at Sturgis!
Hppants and fontanaman loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
Cheesehead
Squid

Post by Cheesehead »

Hack and raYzerman, thanks kindly for the response. I will definitely be looking over these areas very closely to ensure the appropriate reassembly has been followed. Your description and pictures are very helpful in identifying where I'm inspecting for these items. Need to find a good service manual so I can really do a thorough job of inspection.

Kind Regards,

John
Hack
Veteran

Post by Hack »

raYzerman wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:59 am It's an airbox drain, and the filter has a one-way valve... it will likely stay on the nipple but should have one of those wire clamps, item 20. I know a guy with spares.
Part # 20 are present and accounted for :)

I think I know the same guy... ;)
Cheesehead loved this
N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

Called my dealer again today. Parts are said to have been on order since the morning VINs went live on Yamaha’s site. Said they got 2 kits, did 2, still waiting.