Drive Shaft and Universal Joint

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Drive Shaft and Universal Joint

Post by Steel_Gin »

I am going to pull my drive shaft for the first time to lube up the splines. It looks like the universal joint will drop down a bit but with a little bit of playing, you can get the drive shaft back in. Before doing this I want to know is it possible the joint can drop down so far the drive shaft can’t “pick it up”?

I know getting splines to line up can be a little tricky based on a few times I have done it on other stuff, but it hasn’t been deep inside a hole. Any tricks I should know before doing this?

Also, is it possible to get it all the way in, miss the universal joint and not know it?
griff
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Re: Drive Shaft and Universal Joint

Post by griff »

Shouldn't be a problem giitin the drive shaft back in the ujoint. I do put it in gear to keep the ujoint from rotating when putting the shaft in to line up with the splines.
FJRPittsburgh, Hppants, bill lumberg and 1 others loved this
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Cleaning and lubrication the drive involves 2 different things. IMHO if you aren't pulling the universal joint to get to the splines on the front half of it then you are doing a half-assed job. It's not too difficult to keep going once the drive "pumpkin" and shaft are removed. I've used marine grade wheel bearing grease on some, moly paste on others. I really like moly aerosol- dries completely.

Drive shaft -> https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/spline/spline.html

U-Joint -> https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/ujoint/uj.html

But to answer your questions: No. No. No. It's really straightforward. Go for it!
Bounce and Steel_Gin loved this
Steel_Gin
Veteran

Post by Steel_Gin »

Well, that went back in pretty easy, only took 10-15 seconds to put it back in.

rbentnail thanks for the info. The next time the back tire comes off I will look at doing the U-Joint. This is old hat for most, for me, this was a big step. Been pretty hesitant to do stuff like the because I didn't want to get in over my head. This was pretty easy. :)
LKLD, FJRPittsburgh, Bounce and 5 others loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Easy to do and something that doesn't need regular attention. Some bikes are hard on the splines and U-joint - FJR isn't one of them.
I might take mine apart every 50,000 miles or so and clean it up - far more important if you ride in dusty conditions or where road salt is used.

Anybody ever have the drive spines or universal joint fail because of a lack of service?
N4HHE loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Keep in mind the driveshaft at the pumpkin end is spring loaded and constantly engaged fully with the U-joint regardless of swingarm travel up/down. Grease is preventing corrosion, some get rusty and hard to pull out. Next time, remove the side cover off the swingarm to get at the U-joint out and greased on the front end.
Yammy doesn't say use moly paste although it's not a bad idea.... grease is good.
FJRPittsburgh, Steel_Gin, and HotRodZilla loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

Steel_Gin wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:18 pm Well, that went back in pretty easy, only took 10-15 seconds to put it back in.

rbentnail thanks for the info. The next time the back tire comes off I will look at doing the U-Joint. This is old hat for most, for me, this was a big step. Been pretty hesitant to do stuff like the because I didn't want to get in over my head. This was pretty easy. :)
Cool beans, a man's got to know his limitations!
Steel_Gin loved this
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

What they said, it’s not difficult at all, I left the driveshaft engaged in the final drive and pulled the whole thing off in one piece, then pulled the u joint and lubed both sides with silver anti seize compound. I was shocked that the splines were dry and rusty meaning I don’t think the factory lubed it at all. Piece of cake.
FJRPittsburgh, wheatonFJR, and Bounce loved this
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
Steel_Gin
Veteran

Post by Steel_Gin »

There was a touch of rust on the shaft about an inch behind the splines. Didn't take much work to get it off, all I used was a plastic dish scrubby and it came right off. Put a small dab of grease on a rag and covered the whole thing with a very thin layer, that should take care of that for a while. Now that I have this under my belt I'll go after the U-joint the next time the tire comes off.

One thing I am curious about was the bottom inside bolt that holds the pumpkin on was tarnished and had some white chalky stuff on it, but the other three looked fine. I did what I could with what I had to clean it up, some of the chalky stuff was in the threads and didn't have anything to remove it without risking thread damage. Is it common for that bolt to be tarnished or discolored? I don't ride even if there is a hint of salt on the roads, I'm thinking its location to the road spray compared to the others has something to do with it, yes??
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Perchance someone before you applied some blue loctite..... or it's aluminum corrosion residue in the threads???
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Steel_Gin
Veteran

Post by Steel_Gin »

raYzerman wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:17 pm Perchance someone before you applied some blue loctite..... or it's aluminum corrosion residue in the threads???
No on the before me, I'm the original owner and this was the first time it was pulled. I will get a small brass brush and clean it up then give it a look the next time the tire comes off.