Rear Shock Needs Help

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Rear Shock Needs Help

Post by BikerGeek »

Sooze and I were all pumped up to knock out the States of Confusion Tour this weekend. We hopped on the bike a bit ago and headed out.

But something did NOT feel right to my butt-chassis dyno. The bike was pogo-ing over every bump. I don't know much, but I know my bike and that wasn't normal at all. Aboot 9 miles out, we stopped at a stoplight in a small town and I just 'bounced' the bike and it bounced right back.

We turned around and headed back to the barn. I checked tire pressures - the back was a little low. Would that be enough for the CT to induce this? Short answer: no. So it's gotta be the shock.

It's a Wilber's that we put on at a Tech Day several years ago. I got it used. I have no idea how many miles were on it when I put it on, but I've put roughly 50K miles on it. So, it's prolly due. I took a look at it from down low - there's some spooge on the bottom of the shock around the shackle. Didn't look like much to me, but I don't make a habit of looking at the bike from that angle. It could be leaky blinker fluid or it could just be road spooge.

The last time we were two-up was at EOM last year. It may have been a little squishy then, but nothing like it is now. I rode to work yesterday and noticed an odd bounce when I hit a bump on an on-ramp. Kinda reminded me of my HD Ultra Classic when I'd push it hard in corners. Again, definitely NOT how the FJR normally handles. I didn't really think anything of it until now.

So I ask for advice. Who would be a good choice to rebuild it? Anyone got a GenIII stock rear shock laying around? If we go the rebuild route, any chance I could get it back and installed in time for EOM? Yes, our EOM is now at risk. If nothing else, though, we can take the drop-top to EOM so we'll at least be there for the parking lot funtivities no matter what.

TIA
Geek
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: Rear Shock Needs Help

Post by raYzerman »

Definitely rebuild it.... I suspect you've lost the nitrogen but not the oil (unless splooged). IF so, you've lost damping. IF there's a hydraulic preload adjuster, might have lost oil out of that. Yer spring is yer spring. You may have a Powersports place that does suspensions nearby (ask The Pony?), as most seals are pretty standard, nitrogen comes in a tank, and oil in plastic containers...... IF the shaft needed replacing for reasons of rust or scoring, then they gotta get a Wilbers one (whatever one Wilbers uses).
If you're in deep crap without a shock to use, better talk to me so I can get a Gen3 OEM one there... I know this guy... two actually. You ain't gonna miss EOM. Iff'n I have to come a day early to Casa Geek, I'll just show up and we'll git 'er done. We (I) can drop off the Wilbers at Cogent on the way down.
Madmudder, LKLD, bigjohnsd and 1 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
two_wheeled
Squid
FJRModel: 2007 FJR1300AE

Post by two_wheeled »

My OEM shock is worn out. Where do you guys source your GEN3 OEM shocks from? Cheapest I've found so far is RockyMountainATVMC.
-Steve in Phx
2007 FJR1300AE
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

I just got a Gen 3 shock from Partshark for $404.00
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
jwilly
Site Admin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by jwilly »

Geek I have a GEN3 Shock with about 40k on it. Might get you by for bit if needed. Shoot me a text if you want it and I will ship it to you on Tuesday. Total cost: 2 beers at EOM, Ahh OK 3..
Madmudder, Cav47, BikerGeek and 3 others loved this
I’d be more than happy to swear under oath that having watched you ride for many, many miles, there is no way in hell you could be speeding through those curves. -0face
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

raYzerman wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:25 pm Definitely rebuild it.... I suspect you've lost the nitrogen but not the oil (unless splooged). IF so, you've lost damping. IF there's a hydraulic preload adjuster, might have lost oil out of that. Yer spring is yer spring. You may have a Powersports place that does suspensions nearby (ask The Pony?), as most seals are pretty standard, nitrogen comes in a tank, and oil in plastic containers...... IF the shaft needed replacing for reasons of rust or scoring, then they gotta get a Wilbers one (whatever one Wilbers uses).
If you're in deep crap without a shock to use, better talk to me so I can get a Gen3 OEM one there... I know this guy... two actually. You ain't gonna miss EOM. Iff'n I have to come a day early to Casa Geek, I'll just show up and we'll git 'er done. We (I) can drop off the Wilbers at Cogent on the way down.
jwilly wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:49 pm Geek I have a GEN3 Shock with about 40k on it. Might get you by for bit if needed. Shoot me a text if you want it and I will ship it to you on Tuesday. Total cost: 2 beers at EOM, Ahh OK 3..
See...this right here is why I feel lucky to have chosen the FJR and this forum.

:bowdown:
Madmudder, Cav47, Bust and 3 others loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

My stock Gen 3 shock has 50K on it and I can assure you, it's long in the tooth. None the less, it's another offer, all you have to do is tell me where to ship it.
Cav47 and Bust loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

BikerGeek
Veteran

Post by BikerGeek »

LKLD wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:47 am
See...this right here is why I feel lucky to have chosen the FJR and this forum.
Yep. I'm kinda stunned.

I made arrangements with jwilly - he's got some beers in the bank at EOM. Or whenever. Just because.

Thank you for the offer, 'pants. I truly appreciate it.
Bust, LKLD, and jwilly loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

Geek knows his spooge.
BikerGeek
Veteran

Post by BikerGeek »

Powerman wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:46 pm Geek knows his spooge.
I feel like that should be on a t-shirt... :lol:
- 0face
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

BikerGeek wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:03 am
It might already be. have you looked down?
Madmudder loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:08 am
BikerGeek wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:03 am
It might already be. have you looked down?
:lol:
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
jwilly
Site Admin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by jwilly »

BikerGeek wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:43 pm I made arrangements with jwilly - he's got some beers in the bank at EOM. Or whenever. Just because.
Turns out UPS won't let you ship a flaming bag of shit so I just sent the shock this time.. :D
Hppants, FJRoss, and wheatonFJR loved this
I’d be more than happy to swear under oath that having watched you ride for many, many miles, there is no way in hell you could be speeding through those curves. -0face
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

jwilly wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:13 pm
BikerGeek wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:43 pm I made arrangements with jwilly - he's got some beers in the bank at EOM. Or whenever. Just because.
Turns out UPS won't let you ship a flaming bag of shit so I just sent the shock this time.. :D
"Two Men and a Truck" will. Total lack of imagination there Jason.
jwilly loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

jwilly wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:13 pm
Where's Duane when you need him? 8-)
jwilly, jblanken64, and Cav47 loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption