Tire Changing: DIY tire machines, gadgets, and apparatus

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
griff
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Re: Tire Changing: DIY tire machines, gadgets, and apparatus

Post by griff »

bill lumberg wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:10 am If only we had someone to make a video of themself talking for 45 minutes then showing us how to perform this task at home
Hmm, I wonder who you're talking about :lol:
wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:10 am If only we had someone to make a video of themself talking for 45 minutes then showing us how to perform this task at home
If by "this task" you mean statically balancing the tire...I've got just the guy. He's awesome, he's also got a great 30 minute video on how to determine which direction the tire rotates. I should have sent gramps a link on this video. I would make my own video of how to change the tire, but I can't find the on button on the video camera.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Pterodactyl
Veteran
FJRModel: R1250GSA w/ Sidecar

Post by Pterodactyl »

griff wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:25 am
Hmm, I wonder who you're talking about :lol:
I imagine we are thinking of the same guy.... I call him "Big Windy".
Kevin
The Outpost
Silver City, MT
FJayR
Squid
FJRModel: 2014

Post by FJayR »

I don't use a machine for mounting tires. I take the rims to my local shop and depending on who's working they charge me $10 to free to remove the tire from the rim. I then mount them myself using RuGlyde in a spray bottle. I will leave the tire in the sun for a beer or two then zip tie the new one on.
I purchased a bunch of 2ft ties from HF for $2 or $3. I have done 4 tires this way and will probably never touch the Motion Pro spoons again. It really is that easy.
https://www.google.com/search?q=zip+tie ... SgCQ9:1433
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

FJayR wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:27 pm I don't use a machine for mounting tires. I take the rims to my local shop and depending on who's working they charge me $10 to free to remove the tire from the rim. I then mount them myself using RuGlyde in a spray bottle. I will leave the tire in the sun for a beer or two then zip tie the new one on.
I purchased a bunch of 2ft ties from HF for $2 or $3. I have done 4 tires this way and will probably never touch the Motion Pro spoons again. It really is that easy.
https://www.google.com/search?q=zip+tie ... SgCQ9:1433
Yebbut can you make a 45minute video explaining how to buy a ziptie. :mrgreen:

Where do you live, I'd like to see how those Roadsmart 3s go on.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
FJayR
Squid
FJRModel: 2014

Post by FJayR »

I run Avon storm 3d. As lots of folks have said it helps a bunch to be really warm.
Harald
FJRModel: 2020 FJR1300ES

Post by Harald »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:55 pm Where do you live, I'd like to see how those Roadsmart 3s go on.
I didn't film it or spend any time talking, but the Roadsmart 3 front went on like butter a week ago in my shop. It was about 55 degrees inside, but I had a heat gun blowing hot air at the new tire while I was pulling the front rim off. I'd rotate the new tire periodically to even out the heat. Old tires always come off easy, but this one went on super easy too.

This was my first time trying the heat gun, so I'm not sure if the tire is easier to mount or that type of heating makes the difference? I usually throw the tire in my truck outside in the sun to warm it up, but it's winter here in the Pacific Northwet and sun is a rarity.