Garage/Shop build

Our rides evolve - keep track of yours here.
natehawk750
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR1300A, 2001 zrx1200r, 2001 XR650R

Garage/Shop build

Post by natehawk750 »

Ok guys and gals this has come up on a few other of my posts so I figured I'd give it a proper thread. This will be an on going project cause I have to many ideas and plans to do it all at once.

My wife and I just finished our house build and now that we've been getting moved and settled in it's time to start on my Garage! The garage is a 30'x24' 2 car garage with a 10'x20' area that's work shop area. Pretty much it's my space for projects and trip planning!

This is it empty after sheet rock was hung.

Over the past week I painted the floor, and today I started building a work bench and so far that's pretty much it.

More to come soon. Feel free to give input and give your ideas... I'm open to recommendations even though I've had alot of time to think about it.

Oh guess I can include my FJR's first visit while building.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Puc, Bust, Bounce and 6 others loved this
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Re: Garage/Shop build

Post by escapefjrtist »

Nice build thread and some garage envy too! Nice work, keep us posted on the progress.

~G
Bust, Uncle Hud, and natehawk750 loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

A chain hoist on an “I” beam that can take a m/c engine out of the bike and take it to the workbench is a swell thing. I use my chain hoist to lift the rear of the bike up at a 45deg angle for drive shaft etc servicing.
Bust and natehawk750 loved this
natehawk750
Contributor
Veteran

Post by natehawk750 »

CollingsBob wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:07 pm A chain hoist on an “I” beam that can take a m/c engine out of the bike and take it to the workbench is a swell thing. I use my chain hoist to lift the rear of the bike up at a 45deg angle for drive shaft etc servicing.
That has been discussed between my father in law and I.
I'm sure it will happen eventually.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

NateHawk,

When I built my garage (workshop) worktops, I wanted worktops all across the back, and all along one side of the garage. To conserve floor space, I hinged each section to fold down against the wall, with the front legs hinged to fold up and back under the the worktops. Each leg can be brought up and back to fold any section of the worktops down, using a strong cord that attaches near the bottom of each leg, with a cleat to tie off the cord with each leg folded. If I need a longer or wider floor space, I can fold the different sections down or up as needed.

The length of the front legs (the table height) will "set" the width of the worktop, so they can be folded up, but those dimensions came out nicely, for me. I used one hefty steel hinge on each stud, to support the back of the worktops, with enough front legs to make things strong. I can store larger items under the worktops by briefly folding up a leg or two, to get the item under the worktop, then letting those legs down into place again. HTH.
8-)
bigjohnsd, Bust, Bounce and 1 others loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
Pterodactyl
Veteran
FJRModel: R1250GSA w/ Sidecar

Post by Pterodactyl »

natehawk750 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:36 pm
CollingsBob wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:07 pm A chain hoist on an “I” beam that can take a m/c engine out of the bike and take it to the workbench is a swell thing. I use my chain hoist to lift the rear of the bike up at a 45deg angle for drive shaft etc servicing.
That has been discussed between my father in law and I.
I'm sure it will happen eventually.
They are handy....

Puc loved this
Kevin
The Outpost
Silver City, MT
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Just noticing the toothpicks you have holding up your work benches, might want to encase those with a nice black cherrywood with a hand-rubbed oil,let dry a couple of days, then follow with by a wipe-on polyurethane. Just a thought, don't mind me.
bigjohnsd, CraigRegs, and natehawk750 loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
blind squirrel
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014

Post by blind squirrel »

Red wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:26 am NateHawk,

When I built my garage (workshop) worktops, I wanted worktops all across the back, and all along one side of the garage. To conserve floor space, I hinged each section to fold down against the wall, with the front legs hinged to fold up and back under the the worktops. Each leg can be brought up and back to fold any section of the worktops down, using a strong cord that attaches near the bottom of each leg, with a cleat to tie off the cord with each leg folded. If I need a longer or wider floor space, I can fold the different sections down or up as needed.

The length of the front legs (the table height) will "set" the width of the worktop, so they can be folded up, but those dimensions came out nicely, for me. I used one hefty steel hinge on each stud, to support the back of the worktops, with enough front legs to make things strong. I can store larger items under the worktops by briefly folding up a leg or two, to get the item under the worktop, then letting those legs down into place again. HTH.
8-)
Put all work benches on rollers. You can move them to where you are working, and they can be rolled out of the way for cleaning.

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-stor ... 64012.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-stor ... 56613.html
natehawk750 loved this
"That feeling is your taint telling you, 'this is a bad idea...'" - extrememarine
natehawk750
Contributor
Veteran

Post by natehawk750 »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:07 am Just noticing the toothpicks you have holding up your work benches, might want to encase those with a nice black cherrywood with a hand-rubbed oil,let dry a couple of days, then follow with by a wipe-on polyurethane. Just a thought, don't mind me.
You know Ray I'm not one for beautifying a work space, but I do have alot of leftover stain and poly sitting around from the build that needs to be used up... so I have thought of doing just that. Heck I've already refinished a few of my gun sticks just cause I had the stuff laying around.

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I just ordered this -I cannot wait for it to arrive:

https://www.amazon.com/Brightech-LightV ... 23&sr=8-17

I wear progressive lenses on my glasses - the intermediate distance is perfect, but the close is always a challenge. This is going to be mounted on my work bench with the vice.
natehawk750 loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

I also have this setup. The lenses of different strength snap on/off. The lenses can be flipped up and out of the way when you need to see the real view.

bigjohnsd, Bust, and Hppants loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

I swear, that if someone wanted a real education, life tips on anything...you could find it on this board.
Puc, basicjim, bigjohnsd and 1 others loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

wheatonFJR wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:23 am I swear, that if someone wanted a real education, life tips on anything...you could find it on this board.
Just go here and get a real education plus life tips:

by Bust »

Bust and wheatonFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

One always needs a solid workbench to pound on or be solid for those fork bushing/seal changes, and a good 6" vice. Portable cart bench also very handy to have next to the lift to layout the tools you're using, along with storage. Yes to the magnifying light, all you need to do is drill a few 3/8 holes and you can move it from place to place. I've wanted to have a retractable 4' LED light fixture I can pull down from the ceiling to light up the side of my bike, haven't got there yet, can probably rig up a little rope hoist easily enough. Right now have a retractable cord light in the ceiling, but you can never really find a good spot to hook it on to the bike and keep it where it needs to be.... my Ryobi foldable work light also very handy for that. My good rechargeable LED headlight very handy too.
Bust loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:18 amYes to the magnifying light, all you need to do is drill a few 3/8 holes and you can move it from place to place.
Nate,

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .^^^ This.

Screw and glue a short section (4" ~ 10cm) of lumber under the worktop, where the holes will be drilled for the lamp mounting pin. This hole replaces that silly table clamp that only fits at the edges of thin tables. Make a few more mounting holes than you think you will need, in the worktops. You might want to add a few horizontal mounting holes around the edges of the worktop for the magnifying lamp(s), for working on items on the floor.
:mrgreen:
bigjohnsd, Bust, Hppants and 1 others loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:07 am Just noticing the toothpicks you have holding up your work benches, might want to encase those with a nice black cherrywood with a hand-rubbed oil,let dry a couple of days, then follow with by a wipe-on polyurethane. Just a thought, don't mind me.
Toothpicks? Looks like 4x4s add a couple more and he could plop that fjr up there.😁
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

A coupla thoughts...

1. Plenty of room for a Tech Day!

B. Where's the beer fridge going?
Poolboy2, Cav47, Hppants and 1 others loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
Bust
Veteran
FJRModel: 68' Schwinn Stingray

Post by Bust »

One thing about building a garage. You can never build them big enough.
I'm at 24'D x 32'W and probably going to add another 10' to the depth.

Like the idea of sheet rock but not the idea of finishing it. I have 1/2" OSB sidewalls and ceiling and painted it with exterior paint so when the walls get too nasty the power washer makes clean up easy. And you don't have to mess around locating a stud to hang most anything. I also have two areas where I cab hook up a chain fall to lift up to 400 lbs. At least that's what my buddy the engineer said.
Hppants, Full House, and bigjohnsd loved this
You ever see a grown man naked Billy?
natehawk750
Contributor
Veteran

Post by natehawk750 »

BikerGeek wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:45 pm A coupla thoughts...

1. Plenty of room for a Tech Day!

B. Where's the beer fridge going?
I'm hoping to host a southern tech day sometime in the future.

And the beer fridge is on the other side of the garage so that the guys standing around drinking beer can be out of the way of the work area!
Hppants, Bust, and BikerGeek loved this

natehawk750
Contributor
Veteran

Post by natehawk750 »

Bust wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:51 pm One thing about building a garage. You can never build them big enough.
I'm at 24'D x 32'W and probably going to add another 10' to the depth.

Like the idea of sheet rock but not the idea of finishing it. I have 1/2" OSB sidewalls and ceiling and painted it with exterior paint so when the walls get too nasty the power washer makes clean up easy. And you don't have to mess around locating a stud to hang most anything. I also have two areas where I cab hook up a chain fall to lift up to 400 lbs. At least that's what my buddy the engineer said.
The 24x30 garage is to get me by for now. I'm eventually going to build a 30x40 shop behind the house... I have to fill this thing up cause my wife doesn't believe me when I tell her I need more room.

I personally didn't want sheet rock I wanted it left unfinished so that I could move around electrical and such as needed and like others have said not have a problem finding a stud. However I got home from work after sheet rock hangers started and the garage was already hung... I wasn't about to have them rip it out I needed them to keep moving forward.
Bust loved this