My Next Second bike project..... VFR800

Our rides evolve - keep track of yours here.
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Re: What Second bike next.....

Post by Hack »

Hppants wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:57 pm Have ridden a 1250 Bandit - absolutely LOVE that bike. It is VERY fast and with a nice set of Givi luggage, every bit the capable sport tourer.
True dat..!

wheatonFJR and Hppants loved this
Hack
Veteran

Re: My Next Second bike..... VFR800

Post by Hack »

raYzerman wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:37 pm Well the Bumble Bee followed me home a couple of days ago, and I promptly gave it a bath... with her clothes on. Parked it inside and then she got all naked except for her bra and shoes...........
Only Ray could make a build/project thread sound like a Penthouse Forum letter...

'Suggest a user name change to "Xavier Hollander"
bigjohnsd, CollingsBob, ice_station_zebra and 1 others loved this
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

Cool, Ray!

I've had a thang for VFR's for a long-ass time. Have fun with this one!
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Canadian FJR wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:32 am Some purdy - be sure to top that coolant up :)

Canadian FJR
Very observant of you, bone dry... when I pulled the rad cap and saw the rad was down a quart also.... makes you kinda wonder what the PO knows that I don't know.... thermostat was changed a while ago, coolant looks brand new, prolly didn't purge all the air, no obvious leakage anywhere. Gotta pull the throttle bodies as the thermostat is buried in the valley with several hose joints and o-rings..... oh joy....
What you didn't see is the leaky gas tank (I washed it, but you can see the dirt on the side of it in the trailer pic).... apparently the vent line was kinked, fuel pump sucked the tank in on the sides and top, enough to kink and split the metal/leak at upper rear, one each side. Can't fill it more than 2/3 full... pics later. Scored brand new old stock tank!
bigjohnsd, CollingsBob, and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Re: What Second bike next.....

Post by bungie4 »

Hack wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:18 pm Image
Hey! I've been there! More than once! Lots of times the Watershed is a destination for poutine (and it didn't hurt that one of the waitresses looks like Shania Twain - who lived in Timmins for a while)
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

Is that an AR bolt decal? You allowed to have that in Canada?
Hack
Veteran

Post by Hack »

Powerman wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:13 pm Is that an AR bolt decal? You allowed to have that in Canada?

Not only do I have a decal, but...

Last edited by Hack on Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
escapefjrtist and wheatonFJR loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

Mental note: When SHTF, say the hell away from Hack's place.

Speaking of SHTF, how many of us?
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
Hack
Veteran

Re: My Next Second bike project..... VFR800

Post by Hack »

Ray... I thought guys were supposed to "slow down" in their golden years... That VFR doesn't seem to fit with this socially accepted norm..?

Have you gone mad?

Or.. should I say mad-er..?
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Hack wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:04 pm Ray... I thought guys were supposed to "slow down" in their golden years... That VFR doesn't seem to fit with this socially accepted norm..?

Have you gone mad?

Or.. should I say mad-er..?
Mater?...that's what I put on my bacon, lettuce and mater sammich.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Norm was a guy I knew once..... socially accepted, maybe not, maybe I'm a new normal? Do I care what anybody thinks? Do I have multiple middle-age crises? Is there a problem having or having had too many bikes? Is it a sin to lust after a ..... never mind. Does it help that I've had a thing for Honda V4's since I owned an '83 Magna (the VF series)?
Edumacation. There are 8 generations... here's the full story https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/news ... ondas-vfr/
Mine is 5th Gen, the last one with gear driven cams and no Vtec! It's the one to have, but I'm told 8th Gen is all fixed up with that Vtec stuff. Sat on a 2015 Pearl White while on the was to pick up the Bumble Bee. Still prefer the 5th Gen. And it helps that I got it for half of what they're going for. One of the best little investments I've made..... it also helps that it's classed as a Sport Tourer so insurance is reasonable. Factory hard bags were an option. Maybe I'm just old and crazy!
El Toro Joe, bungie4, CollingsBob and 2 others loved this
Hack
Veteran

Post by Hack »

raYzerman wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:51 pm Maybe I'm just old and crazy!

rgb
Contributor
Squid
FJRModel: 2015

Post by rgb »

raYzerman wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:51 pm .... Do I have multiple middle-age crises? Is there a problem having or having had too many bikes? Is it a sin to lust after a ..... never mind.
My ex and her friend came through my workshop once when she came to pick up my daughter. Her friend mentioned that I sure had a lot of motorcycles and old cars. The ex smiled and replied, "you can have lots of stuff to work on and play with but there is only a finite amount of money to pay for the insurance to take it on the highway. It's what keeps him out of trouble." Ok, she was right.

And crises? How can it be a crisis if we're having this much fun?
Cav47, CollingsBob, and raYzerman loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

To continue a bit with the story, Bumble Bee and I spent some time..... took her bra off and exposed her headlights! Well, I did warn her she might be totally naked before this is all over. I think that's called Full Dis-clothes-ure? So left her shoes on (new ones coming), found out she's got a sore neck (steering head bearings shot), and we're going to be forking around with new bushings, seals and a RaceTech spring kit a buddy gave me. And he sold me a lightly used Penske for out back (he's had a few Viffers and has a stash of leftover parts).

Then I cleaned up her skirts and the other perty parts of her dress and put them all away for later...... this is the Before picture, insides were sprayed with Simple Green. After a thorough cleaning, buffed out some minor scratches and scuffs.... well, some patina will remain, after all the girl is over 20 years old... I don't know what that is in dog years, but.... she'll be perfect enough and nobody's gonna notice much.

Her worst feature is her stomach.... I think she tried anorexia, caving in the sides and top (the light reflection shows it best), and a split (leaking) on each side. I won't even attempt fixing it. Cause of this was a kinked fuel vent tube.

Many things are apart as there's a valve check to do, and check under the throttle bodies for coolant leaks/thermostat (I think 5 hose connections under there). Throttle body removal not necessary for the valve check, but I've opted for replacing all the 20+ year old coolant hoses with a fancy silicone set from the UK. While most of them look OK, the ones under the TB's have had the harder life according to VFR owners... I'll give it a fresh thermostat too, what the heck. I expect the hoses and thermostat will be an all day job by itself.

So here's a look down her bronchial tubes, the TB's look clean enough, and Honda says don't clean them as you'll remove the moly coating they put on the TB bores (I knew this from my ST days). So they'll get a wipedown and spritz of cleaner here and there to ensure passages are all clean (should be, she runs well already).
The breather tube is on the rear (right) valve cover and the rubber thing is covering the front valve cover.. to remove the airbox, one must undo approximately a dozen vacuum hoses to various sensors and actuators... thankfully, you don't have to go this deep too often.

Well, it would appear the girl has Black Lung, or has been wearing her dust mask waaaayyyy too long. Will ya bet OEM filter since birth? Bottom side to TB's looks brand new clean... good filter! Replacement coming.

CollingsBob, escapefjrtist, Full House and 2 others loved this
Hack
Veteran

Post by Hack »

raYzerman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:12 pm To continue a bit with the story, Bumble Bee and I spent some time..... took her bra off and exposed her headlights! Well, I did warn her she might be totally naked before this is all over. I think that's called Full Dis-clothes-ure? So left her shoes on (new ones coming), found out she's got a sore neck (steering head bearings shot), and we're going to be forking around with new bushings, seals and a RaceTech spring kit a buddy gave me. And he sold me a lightly used Penske for out back (he's had a few Viffers and has a stash of leftover parts).

Then I cleaned up her skirts and the other perty parts of her dress and put them all away for later......

Ray's posts on this project are starting to read like a Harlequin Romance novel... The dirty parts. Lol

Or... Fifty shades of Yellow...
Niehart, bungie4, Cav47 and 2 others loved this
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

Hack wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:48 pm
raYzerman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:12 pm To continue a bit with the story, Bumble Bee and I spent some time..... took her bra off and exposed her headlights! Well, I did warn her she might be totally naked before this is all over. I think that's called Full Dis-clothes-ure? So left her shoes on (new ones coming), found out she's got a sore neck (steering head bearings shot), and we're going to be forking around with new bushings, seals and a RaceTech spring kit a buddy gave me. And he sold me a lightly used Penske for out back (he's had a few Viffers and has a stash of leftover parts).

Then I cleaned up her skirts and the other perty parts of her dress and put them all away for later......

Ray's posts on this project are starting to read like a Harlequin Romance novel... The dirty parts. Lol

Or... Fifty shades of Yellow...
Winters north of the board must be much worse than I thought to have that kind of knowledge. :lol:
Hppants loved this
Hack
Veteran

Post by Hack »

I stopped by Ray's den, or rather...garage of inequity today.

That VfR is indeed completely undressed, but Ray is such a nice guy... He bumped up the thermostat half a degree so she doesn't get too cold.
ice_station_zebra and Hppants loved this
Steel_Gin
Veteran

Post by Steel_Gin »

Hack wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:30 pm I stopped by Ray's den, or rather...garage of inequity today.

That VfR is indeed completely undressed, but Ray is such a nice guy... He bumped up the thermostat half a degree so she doesn't get too cold.
How could you tell she was cold?? :D
Hack
Veteran

Post by Hack »

Steel_Gin wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:46 pm
Hack wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:30 pm I stopped by Ray's den, or rather...garage of inequity today.

How could you tell she was cold?? :D

Brake bleed nipples were stiff.
Steel_Gin and wheatonFJR loved this
Steel_Gin
Veteran

Post by Steel_Gin »

So Ray. Did you delegate the update job on this job to Spawn? :D
Hppants and Cav47 loved this