A Texican Hydration System

Our rides evolve - keep track of yours here.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: RE: Re: A Texican Hydration System

Post by wheatonFJR »

silverback wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:44 pm
raYzerman wrote:I drink coffee a lot, coffee and beer you only rent as they are diuretics. When I built the shop in some very hot weather, drank nothing but water for 3 weeks and a fair amount of it... hardly had to pee either. Good chit that water.
That will rust your arteries.
The 40Creek usually cuts the sludge.
raYzerman loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Re: A Texican Hydration System

Post by gixxerjasen »

dcarver wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:53 pm What keeps the jug in the bucket when you hit a big ol bump?
Bump? He's doing Ride Around Texas, not Ride Around Ohio!
NTXFJR and wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

I got me one of those fancy Skyway systems for the Hippo. Start with a frozen bottle of water in the morning and stays cool all day...or 2 hours if a hot day.

NTXFJR and wheatonFJR loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Bugnatr wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:12 pm I got me one of those fancy Skyway systems for the Hippo. Start with a frozen bottle of water in the morning and stays cool all day...or 2 hours if a hot day.

Wow...I guess that cnc machine paid off after all.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
sacramentomike
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by sacramentomike »

Mine's the same idea, pirated from existing models. I did have the jug fly out of the base on a couple of little jumps at first, so now it's held in by a big hose clamp that's attached to the base. But no bite valve. Just the hose, and it's easy to pull water up with it, and easy to empty the hose with a little puff of air when I'm done drinking so the next mouthful a few miles later isn't HOT.

The end of the hose is connected to a key retractor gadget that's clipped to the back of my tank bag.
NTXFJR loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I need to pay closer attention to hydration. I think it's always been an issue, but over the last couple of years, it has gotten more pronounced. On bike trips, I dry out like a raisin. I'm not quite ready for the Texican Hydration System, but I need to drink more when I ride. And perhaps a little less after I ride.

Well..... hopefully one out of two won't be too bad....
gixxerjasen loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

Remember, riding while dehydrated can cause someone to pass out and not know it's coming. I'm absolutely sure I don't have to explain what happens when a person loses consciousness at highway speeds while aboard a two-wheeled vehicle. Its happened before, and relatively frequently.

On top of that, staying hydrated makes the post ride recovery so much better. No headaches, less hunger, and if anything hurts from being on the bike day, it goes away quicker. Riding without hydration is worse than riding without ear protection. I've used a CamelBak for years and have a Garauld system I've yet to mount. Next long trip, the new system is going on my bike. Either way, I'm not riding more than an hour without water.
Hppants and wheatonFJR loved this