Jolene, Jolene, Jolene...

Our rides evolve - keep track of yours here.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Re: Jolene, Jolene, Jolene...

Post by Festus »

Thanks. Work has gotten in the way this weekend.

DMV has provided me proof that haters gonna hate on Jolene. As stated previously, they didn’t recognize my bill of sale. Viper Dad hooked me up with the proper paperwork and I went to DMV on Friday. She tells me that she can bill me, but she can’t give me the title because it’s showing the title number as active in Nevada. Seriously? So much hate towards Jolene.

Rob gave me all the service records for Jolene. I was in his house. His story is documented over the years. I have ZERO doubt it’s all legit. She tells me it will have to be investigated. Go for it. Whatever.

I log in to DMV today and see the bike listed as a 2004 Hudson FJR. Whatever that is. I look at the VIN and realize they keyed a digit in wrong on my receipt. I call them, they tell me I need to go back today. I go back, she won’t give me a number, but says she will help me as soon as you can. 3 people were in line. 1 hour later, there are now 45 people in line. Not waiting to be called, IN LINE. She finally takes my info and comes back about 15 minutes later and apologizes. Said it was their mistake. They keyed it in wrong but have fixed it and the title would be mailed. I go back to work, log in again, the VIN is right, but it’s showing a 2004 Hudson FJR.

So it’s still f’d up. Call them and get “sorry, we are busy, please call back some other time”.

Why the bitches gotta hate on Jolene so bad?

They don’t realize this all just makes her stronger.
LKLD, NTXFJR, escapefjrtist and 2 others loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

So...it's Hudson's fault!

I knew there was a reason he finally signed in here....he's checking on his scam.
NTXFJR, escapefjrtist, raYzerman and 1 others loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Don't worry...... we all love Jolene! And her model year is contained in the VIN.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Viper_Dad
FJRModel: 2013

Post by Viper_Dad »

It’s all fun and games until the title to THIS shows up!

Steel_Gin loved this
2013 - "Jolene"
Peter
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

For heaven's sake, don't give up on getting it right. Lord knows that when she's got 250,000 trouble free miles on her from this awesome re-build, and you are feeling generous with someone when you give her away to him/her, you wouldn't want them to experience this same run around, right?
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

No worries, Pants! If it requires a DMV officer standing in the garage matching VIN numbers, then I’m up for that. It’ll be fixed correctly, period.

Had to work all weekend but spent a little more than an hour on it tonight fixing all the electrical issues. All done!

Let me take one minute to give credit where credit is due. Last Sunday night, I emailed cycleterminal.com and asked for help identifying the connector terminal. I emailed photos some time after 7 pm. Within a few minutes, Joe replied back. We emailed back and forth 4-5 times Sunday night. I thought I found the connector at a competitors site, so I emailed him a screen shot and asked if he had anything like it. Around 10 pm, he emailed me a link to it on his site. That’s amazing service. I ordered them and they came in later in the week and worked perfect. Snapped into the connector like it was supposed to. If you can ever use his company, give him a shot. First class guy.

I also ordered 2 tools to take connectors apart. They work fantastic. Push it in, pull the connector out the back. Just that easy.

I put the output drive gear in as well as the oil pump. Had to quit and head back to work.

Got a tough schedule at work this week, but if things go smoothly, then maybe I’ll have some time in the evenings.
BkerChuck, LKLD, Red and 2 others loved this

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Sometimes I think that state government moves all the incompetents -- or assholes -- to the DMV. Georgia's made a lot of progress in the past ten years about getting people served quickly, but the mistakes and irrational policies persist.
Last edited by Uncle Hud on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
HotRodZilla loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Uncle Hud wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:31 am Sometimes I think that state government moves all he incompetents -- or assholes -- to the DMV. Georgia's made a lot of progress in the past ten years about getting people served quickly, but the mistakes and irrational policies persist.
Another reason I don't want the government choosing who, when where why I go to the doctor or what surgeon I use. All I have to do is stand in line at the DMV to remind me of that.

I hope that people that know better get you fixed up there Festus.
HotRodZilla and Festus loved this
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

gixxerjasen wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:05 pm
fencer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:05 ammy 2nd gear has been jumping for 30k miles or more. I asked the dealer he said no, It is a wear item.
I'm sorry but WTF? Second gear is a wear item? Since when?
Depending on how broads a definition isn't every single item on a bike a wear item? Maybe my YES doesn't actually cover anything.
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Rob and I got our bikes about the same time. Exact same bikes. We have rode together many times.
I can vouch that Jolene is a native Floridian and there are not many of those!
Viper_Dad and LKLD loved this
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by silverback »

Lots of bikes have second gear issues. The 1-2 shift is the most brutal shift there is. It just smacks the second gear dog harder than any other shift. The XS11 had the problem in 1978.

I have heard of many other bikes with the problem. Seems to be one of those issues with the right wrist, and lets face it, no one gets a high powered bike and says "You meet the nicest people on a 146HP beast". At some point you slam it through the gears like you're riding with a Mongrel Horde.

BTW, Love the updates and pictures on this. Awesome thread to follow!

wheatonFJR loved this
There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

silverback wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:37 pm... lets face it, no one gets a high powered bike and says "You meet the nicest people on a 146HP beast". At some point you slam it through the gears like you're riding with a Mongrel Horde.
:D

Ahhhhhhhh, grasshopper. There is fire and truth in your words of wisdom. :D

I don't know if I treat my gear shifts any better or worse than others...but I had to laugh at the imagery of those last two words.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

Since yesterday was a holiday (obviously not for the working man), DMV was closed. This morning, I fired up the old tele-o-phone and sat it on my desk while working and waiting for someone to pick up. The lady says "Oh, I am so sorry, but I'm afraid it hasn't been processed so we don't have access to the information you need corrected. I hate to ask you this, but is there any way you can go back to the branch you submitted it to? They still have the title and they are the only ones who can fix it at this point. I would encourage you to try and get it fixed before it leaves there, because one it leaves there, it can get increasingly more difficult to fix".

Well shit.

Trip #5 to DMV.....

Oh, I can work this out, I ran some samples last night for a customer and he's about a mile from DMV. I can do this!

Go to DMV, get a number this time, and I see the Bitc-......I mean nice customer service lady who helped me enter the wrong information in. She's at desk #1. Crap. I hope I don't get her. I'm waiting, I see someone 2 people in front of me get called to her, and I'm thinking "I'm good, two more people and no way she'll finish his transaction by then".

"F118" Hey, that's me!

"Window #1".

Shit.

She wasn't too pleased to see me. About as rude a person as there is in customer service. Slamming papers on the desk and sighing over and over. She's pissed. I'm not. I explain to her the situation, in the middle of me talking, she gets up and walks away. She comes back and says "Robert?". I said "No". She said "You aren't Robert?". Nope. Never been a Robert. I had an uncle named Robert, but we called him Bobby. I wonder if that counts. Stupid....

She's clearly getting pissed because I'm not Robert. I put it all together and said "That's the name of the person on the title, that's not my name". Then she comes back with the title and all my paper work that they'd put together, including my receipt from paying that they took back from me on Saturday and never gave me back. After about 15 minutes, 18 sighs, 9 slams of stacks of paper, she tells me it's corrected.

I asked if I could get the title now that it was all corrected. "NO". Me, being the Curious George that I am, asked why not, since it was a keying error and it'd all been fixed. I guess that was a stupid question too. "It STILL HAS TO GO TO BE INVESTIGATED".

I came back and logged into my account and it's actually showing a 2013 Yamaha FJR1300 now and not a 2004 Hudson.

Baby steps forward. We'll see when the title comes. At this point, I suspect I'll just have to drive Jolene to DMV and make them see it for themselves.

Haters gonna hate.

Don't worry Baby Gurl, Jolene don't want your man. She's got standards.
NTXFJR, Uncle Hud, raYzerman and 4 others loved this

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

I always love it when someone at the DMV slams their papers down in front of me and acts all pissed at me.

Next!
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Steve, you're a much better man than me. I would have made a total ass of myself, using the squeaky wheel scenario to get it done.
I am really sorry you are having to go through all of this. Jolene couldn't be in better hands. ;)
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

I love good story!! Not yet time to ask her where she hangs up her broom when she gets to work in the mornings......
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

No worries Rob, I'm an introvert so I just want the problem fixed and leave quietly :)

Just to ram it up that bitches ass.....

Jolene got some love tonight after work.

Output drive shaft is in. Take note of the shims in there. It's a two piece shim and it's oriented a certain way. Make sure it's all spotless and no nicks on the shim because that shim controls how the gears mesh.

This metal plate in the top right has to come out to split the casing. It's got a tab in the casting that this thing clips on to. Make sure you get it clipped on. Loctite on all this stuff. Everything in the photos here is torqued per the book.

Got the oil pump, oil pickup, and all oil related stuff installed and torqued, Loctite as well. Not sure what this thing is, but it just slips in. I put a new o-ring on it, slipped it in, and sat and wondered what the heck is does :) Took it out, it goes to (or comes from) the oil filter. The oil pan has a machined boss on the inside that sits on top of it to hold it in place.

Running out of parts to put on. Water pump is on (new O-Ring), side cover for transmission shaft is on.

Realized I didn't order the gasket for the oil cover where you put oil in, so I'll be scrambling to find one of them locally. Too late to get it from Partzilla and get it before the weekend. Not a huge deal, can always put that on once it's in the bike if needed.

Every once in a while, I run into something that baffles me. I found this part on the blanket next to the engine. I picked it up and said "What the hell is that? Never seen it before. I have no idea where it goes. Of course that's not true because I'm the guy who took that side apart, so clearly I did it. Looks like it goes where the clutch hose goes on the left hand side. But it was puzzling me for a few minutes.

I'm really impressed how quickly the bags are emptying and the pile of parts is getting smaller. A few lessons I've learned. First- labeling stuff was critical. I mean critical. I am constantly putting things on and wondering where the bolts are. I go to my bins and look and find the bag labeled "oil pump bolts" and then I'm set. It makes putting things back together so much easier. I couldn't have done it without doing that. I just took a sharpie and plastic bags and went to town.

I've also been very paranoid about leaving critical bolts loose or untorqued inside the transmission and crankcase. I have triple checked every bolt in those areas to make sure they are all tight. There's a shitload of bolts. I can see overlooking one easily. Hopefully I have make sure that's not the case. One thing that surprised me was using the torque angle gage for the crankcase bolts. It's 115-125 degrees after torquing them twice. 120 degrees after torquing the bolts is a LOT of movement. My thoughts were "Damn, that's tight as shit".

This thing is about wrapped up. The hard part is over. I have to put the clutch in, then the clutch and stator covers, and the oil pan and that's it. At that point, flip it over and start working towards putting the engine back in. I think it's about 2 hours left. The clutch is going to take a little time because it's all the way apart. If all goes well, the engine should be back in this weekend.
Steel_Gin, LKLD, CraigRegs and 2 others loved this

CraigRegs
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 15ES

Post by CraigRegs »

I have no idea what half that shit is, but if I ever get deep inside my engine, this thread will be a godsend.Great photos. You da man, Festus.
wheatonFJR loved this
Craig
----------------
...the Pursuit of Happiness
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Looking nice!! About that oil cover gasket... if you didn't wreck the old gasket, give it a wee smear with some RTV and you'll be good to go... or clean it off entirely and use RTV... just enough not too much, squeeze-out will go on the inside too..
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Two points ...
Festus wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:02 pm
I've also been very paranoid about leaving critical bolts loose or untorqued inside the transmission and crankcase. I have triple checked every bolt in those areas to make sure they are all tight.
Submarine sailors work the bolt and torque it, then have a second guy check it independently, and then a third. Like motorcycles, nobody wants shit coming loose when we're operating at speed.
The hard part is over.
Not so sure about that. You still have the DMV evil warlord to deal with.

OH YEAH. Thanks so much for this thread, with its excellent photos!
wheatonFJR loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517