Jolene, Jolene, Jolene...

Our rides evolve - keep track of yours here.
Viper_Dad
FJRModel: 2013

Re: Jolene, Jolene, Jolene...

Post by Viper_Dad »

I finally had a chance to get my hands dirty with Jolene last night, I installed an FZ-1 Fuzeblock and some LED driving lights on the front forks. This morning I took her for my first ride since bringing her into my stable. Wow... what a joy! She is tighter, stronger, and lighter than my '08 ever was. Having a Gen II really helps me to appreciate what Jolene has to offer. The little things matter so much: the speedo and trip meter are accurate, the heated grips kept my hands warm, the cruise control allowed me to sightsee a bit, the configurable displays kept me informed, Sport Mode had me muttering expletives for the unending pull of 2nd gear. Jolene feels like she is milled from a solid billet of aluminum, with the rebuilt forks and fresh Pirellis she responds instantly. I cannot express how grateful I am to Festus for his diligence and persistence in bringing her back to life. And to think, I didn't believe him when he said he had rented a truck to drive to Florida to buy her... I actually thought he was nuts! And did I mention that he took his parents along "for the fun"? Gotta love that guy, even if he IS obsessed with Cinnabon.
LKLD, Hppants, Intech and 2 others loved this
2013 - "Jolene"
Peter
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I'd enjoy a picture of your lights - which ones did you get? Do you like them?

Your assessment of the differences between the bikes is spot on for me. I went from a Gen I to a III and I felt the same way. Someone that wasn't accustomed to FJRs probably wouldn't notice as much. But for us, the small differences are very good and the whole is MUCH better than the sum of its parts.
Viper_Dad loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Hppants wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:07 am I'd enjoy a picture of your lights - which ones did you get? Do you like them?

Your assessment of the differences between the bikes is spot on for me. I went from a Gen I to a III and I felt the same way. Someone that wasn't accustomed to FJRs probably wouldn't notice as much. But for us, the small differences are very good and the whole is MUCH better than the sum of its parts.
And that's why I refuse to test ride a Gen III till mine is all used up.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

gixxerjasen wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:56 am
Hppants wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:07 am I'd enjoy a picture of your lights - which ones did you get? Do you like them?

Well good luck wearing it out! Maybe by 2038 you should be ready. Since you ride like a grandma, maybe 2048 would be closer!
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

Viper_Dad

Post by Viper_Dad »

I try not to ride at night so I only got these LEDs to be more visible to cagers. I have 5 kids so Clearwater lights were out of my price range, these 20 watt LEDs came from eBay and only cost $20. I picked up a lighted switch and some wire from Amazon for another $15 (I wanted the white, lighted ring on the switch to illuminate when the LEDs are on). These lights are not DOT or SAE approved, but that didn't matter to me. The way I see it, not all farkles need to cost $300+.

2013 - "Jolene"
Peter
Viper_Dad

Post by Viper_Dad »

Jolene allowed me to take our first passenger since her rebuild, my daughter was anxious to ride her so we took a quick blast around town. I put Jolene in Sport Mode and let her experience 2nd gear. My daughter squeezed me so hard I could barely breathe! Even with the backrest she was startled by Jolene's pull. The rest of the ride was a spirited cruise in Touring Mode. We LOVE this bike! *Note: We have Senas so I had her permission before I did this. C'mon, she's only 12, I don't want to scare her away from the sport!

NTXFJR, CraigRegs, LKLD and 2 others loved this
2013 - "Jolene"
Peter
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Viper_Dad wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:13 am
I try not to ride at night so I only got these LEDs to be more visible to cagers.
I know there are millions of options out there but do you have a link to the lights and the switch?
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Viper_Dad wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:21 am Image
Man that is a beautiful bike!
steveoreno and LKLD loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I have the same lights. Mine are Mondo Moto's, and they have quit selling them. They are great lights for what you are looking to do.

Excellent picture with your daughter. Good on ya!
Viper_Dad loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Viper, Your picture reminded me of a moment I had a few years ago.
Great on you for taking her riding. It is some of my most cherished memories with her. It is amazing how hard them little suckers can squeeze you!
copied from the other sandbox

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.ph ... rt/page-11

in case you cannot log in there.

Well, tomorrow is my baby girls birthday. 14 going on 20. While this pic doesn't say much, it shows her fierce distain for Harleys!! There was a parade of them "sounding off" when I snapped this pic.

We went for a ride to get a Red Box movie. 140 miles later!!! Haha.

At some point during a ride along the river that separates Illinois and Indiana, I thought I heard her trying to talk to me. I slowed down and lifted my visor to hear her better.

Me: "What's up?"

Kenzie: "Nothing"

A few miles later I hear her again talking.

Me: "What's up?"

Kenzie: "Nothing, I am just singing along with the music. I always sing along back here. You just couldn't hear me cause you have your earplugs in."

I put my visor down, turned my music all the way off and "listened" to her all the way to the Red Box kiosk.
Good thing I have a drop down sun shade. I didnt want her seeing me crying like a little bitch. We miss so much cause we aren't listening to the right things.

Anyone got a Sena they want to sell? I might not tell her it's on but l will listen the whole time.
Last edited by Cav47 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NTXFJR, Festus, Hppants and 3 others loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Cav47 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:08 pm
gixxerjasen wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:56 am

Well good luck wearing it out! Maybe by 2038 you should be ready. Since you ride like a grandma, maybe 2048 would be closer!
And by that time maybe I can afford a lightly used gen III. :D
Cav47 loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Viper_Dad

Post by Viper_Dad »

FJRoss wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:05 pm
Viper_Dad wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:13 am
I try not to ride at night so I only got these LEDs to be more visible to cagers.
I know there are millions of options out there but do you have a link to the lights and the switch?
Here ya go!

The switch
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

The quick-connect for the switch (makes connections SO much easier!):
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

The 12ga wire:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Now, the lights came from eBay and they don't save your history for very long so I don't have a link. However, I did find the original order and they were titled "2x 10W Cree LED POD Work Light Spot" whatever that means. They definitely came from China but I've had them on Raven and now Jolene, over a year total, and they've worked great. They even include the mounting brackets, I just painted them black and bolted them to the front fender. Here's pretty much the same thing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-10W-CREE-LE ... j~&vxp=mtr
FJRoss loved this
2013 - "Jolene"
Peter
Viper_Dad

Post by Viper_Dad »

Cav47 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:17 pm Viper, Your picture reminded me of a moment I had a few years ago.
Great on you for taking her riding. It is some of my most cherished memories with her. It is amazing how hard them little suckers can squeeze you!
copied from the other sandbox...
What a hilarious pic and a heartwarming story. I don't know why my daughter is such a daredevil but at 12 years old she rock climbs, hikes, plays tennis, rides horses, gets A+ report card, volunteers at church, and looks beautiful. If I can share but a fleeting moment of her life by riding a motorcycle together then I'm a blessed man!
NTXFJR and Cav47 loved this
2013 - "Jolene"
Peter
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Viper_Dad wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:27 pm
Cav47 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:17 pm Viper, Your picture reminded me of a moment I had a few years ago.
copied from the other sandbox...
What a hilarious pic and a heartwarming story. I don't know why my daughter is such a daredevil but at 12 years old she rock climbs, hikes, plays tennis, rides horses, gets A+ report card, volunteers at church, and looks beautiful. If I can share but a fleeting moment of her life by riding a motorcycle together then I'm a blessed man!
You think that's something, wait until she has her own bike and you two go riding together. :D
NTXFJR, Viper_Dad, gixxerjasen and 1 others loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド