Russell Day Long ..

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Russell Day Long ..

Post by CollingsBob »

I just received an email from Russell Day Long..I have a production date of February 4, 2019...I am excited at the prospect of having a seat that will last as long as a tank of gas!
Steel_Gin, Bounce, raYzerman and 2 others loved this
Prestone
FJRModel: 2016

Re: Russell Day Long ..

Post by Prestone »

As long?! I can't even count the times I have just pulled in to get gas and then just take right back off. Never even completely get off the bike. Your going to love the russel
Bounce loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

3 tank days are a breeze with the Russell
Bounce loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
Pat Mitch
Squid
FJRModel: 2006

Post by Pat Mitch »

Nice, I want one. Where did you buy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pat Mitch
Squid
FJRModel: 2006

Post by Pat Mitch »

I googled it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uncle Hud loved this
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

CollingsBob wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:09 pm I just received an email from Russell Day Long..I have a production date of February 4, 2019...I am excited at the prospect of having a seat that will last as long as a tank of gas!
I don't know what you have been riding on but any decent seat should last you several HUNDRED tanks of gas. What are you doing to your seat to make it wear out so fast and why do you think the Russell will be any different? Hell, my Laam has been on the FJR for over 30,000 miles and it is not showing any wear at all.

I swear I just don't understand what is WRONG with you people.

:shock: :twisted:

Seriously, I hope your new Russell is everything you want it to be. February? Maybe I should buy some stock in Russell seats.
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran

Post by CollingsBob »

I frequently have cataclysmic levels of flatulence that simply destroys the seat cover material, the foam underneath it and once...even the seat pan. I’m not sure whether its the sheer pressure, or the heat, or a combination of both. Either way the blowtorch/ramjet engine forces are hard on seats.

I was told by Russell that if I contacted them on September 1st that I could request any production date that I wanted..February 4th means that I can mail it right after New Years and I’ll get it back in early March. Spring doesnt happen until Mid-April so I’ll have it back in lots of time.
bigjohnsd, Uncle Hud, wheatonFJR and 2 others loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

"..... cataclysmic levels of flatulence "

Gonna put that one in the ole noggin bank for future reference.

I rode well over 50,000 miles on motorcycles before I bought my first custom seat. Oh, I heard it from others about how it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. But $500.00 to $700.00? For a piece of vinyl and foam? You guys are nuts!!! I'll just stand on the pegs at every small town, and then massage my peppermint candies every night like some kind of basket case until the numbness goes away.

Then I bought my first custom saddle and oh my goodness, where have you been all my life, you wonderous piece of delicious upholstery?

Now - whenever a new motorcycle is considered, a custom seat is automatically calculated into the original purchase. Don't wait. Don't pass go. Don't collect jock straps. Just buy the seat and be done with it.

I had a similar experience the first time I used my heated jacket liner. It was a light bulb that shined bright as day in my brain.

Ride on, Bob. Ride on, man....
bill lumberg, bigjohnsd, bungie4 and 2 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Redfish
Veteran

Post by Redfish »

CollingsBob wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:22 pm I was told by Russell that if I contacted them on September 1st that I could request any production date that I wanted..February 4th means that I can mail it right after New Years and I’ll get it back in early March. Spring doesnt happen until Mid-April so I’ll have it back in lots of time.
So you are saying that from January to Mid-April you don't ride? Is there some reason for this? OH WAIT! I must have forgotten you are in Canada! My Bad, I will sure be thinking about you while I am riding mine in the frigid 45 F temps during January and February.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
HotRodZilla and CollingsBob loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Redfish wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:11 am
CollingsBob wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:22 pm I was told by Russell that if I contacted them on September 1st that I could request any production date that I wanted..February 4th means that I can mail it right after New Years and I’ll get it back in early March. Spring doesnt happen until Mid-April so I’ll have it back in lots of time.
So you are saying that from January to Mid-April you don't ride? Is there some reason for this? OH WAIT! I must have forgotten you are in Canada! My Bad, I will sure be thinking about you while I am riding mine in the frigid 45 F temps during January and February.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Fish, that would be October/November to April/May...depending on how eager the rider is and how brutal nasty the fall/winter/spring is.

BTDT.
CollingsBob loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran

Post by CollingsBob »

I have ridden in early November...and once I rode in March when it was +5c, but generally November - Mid April are too cold to ride.There’s also the issue of salt and sand on the roads which dont really do anything other than to create a slightly rough surface on the snow, which quickly gets packed into a layer of ice..usually about 6” thick by spring.
January and February are the coolest months..-40c to -50c at night, -20c to -30c during the day..thats when I get the winter coats and boots out.
We run 0w40 oil in the car, and its plugged in anytime we park it. We also use a command start to warm it up before we drive..
bungie4 loved this
Redfish
Veteran

Post by Redfish »

No. Just no.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Winterpeg is The Great White North for sure, but I hate the southern heat and humidity too.
CollingsBob loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

raYzerman wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:42 pm Winterpeg is The Great White North for sure, but I hate the southern heat and humidity too.
I love being able to ride every month of the year. Hills of the upstate at 1100 feet elevation when it's February, and the BRP at 5500 feet when it's July.

No more stir crazy for me...except, say, when I miss a weekend or two of riding.
CollingsBob loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

CollingsBob wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:50 am I have ridden in early November...and once I rode in March when it was +5c, but generally November - Mid April are too cold to ride.There’s also the issue of salt and sand on the roads which dont really do anything other than to create a slightly rough surface on the snow, which quickly gets packed into a layer of ice..usually about 6” thick by spring.
January and February are the coolest months..-40c to -50c at night, -20c to -30c during the day..thats when I get the winter coats and boots out.
We run 0w40 oil in the car, and its plugged in anytime we park it. We also use a command start to warm it up before we drive..
I can vouch for every phrase in this passage.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

CollingsBob wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:50 am I have ridden in early November...and once I rode in March when it was +5c, but generally November - Mid April are too cold to ride.There’s also the issue of salt and sand on the roads which dont really do anything other than to create a slightly rough surface on the snow, which quickly gets packed into a layer of ice..usually about 6” thick by spring.
...that's just crazy. You know Bob, there are things called airplanes now and they do fly south on regularly scheduled times! ;)

~G
CollingsBob and Redfish loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:13 pm
raYzerman wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:42 pm Winterpeg is The Great White North for sure, but I hate the southern heat and humidity too.
I love being able to ride every month of the year. Hills of the upstate at 1100 feet elevation when it's February, and the BRP at 5500 feet when it's July.

No more stir crazy for me...except, say, when I miss a weekend or two of riding.
Piff, we all know you miss Illinois....a lot.

You still have humidity Wheatie.

Deal breaker. :lol:
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Not for me bug. Enjoy your overgrown campfires out by thataway.
Redfish
Veteran

Post by Redfish »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:01 am Not for me bug. Enjoy your overgrown campfires out by thataway.
Now THAT^^^ was a Sick Burn.

A little close to the edge, but still clever.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Hppants wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:51 am "..... cataclysmic levels of flatulence "

Gonna put that one in the ole noggin bank for future reference.

I rode well over 50,000 miles on motorcycles before I bought my first custom seat. Oh, I heard it from others about how it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. But $500.00 to $700.00? For a piece of vinyl and foam? You guys are nuts!!! I'll just stand on the pegs at every small town, and then massage my peppermint candies every night like some kind of basket case until the numbness goes away.

Then I bought my first custom saddle and oh my goodness, where have you been all my life, you wonderous piece of delicious upholstery?

Now - whenever a new motorcycle is considered, a custom seat is automatically calculated into the original purchase. Don't wait. Don't pass go. Don't collect jock straps. Just buy the seat and be done with it.

I had a similar experience the first time I used my heated jacket liner. It was a light bulb that shined bright as day in my brain.

Ride on, Bob. Ride on, man....
'Pants - you are such an erudite and gifted scribe.JSNS
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!