So Long Ole Red, Hello new Gray!

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

So Long Ole Red, Hello new Gray!

Post by Hppants »

Today I bought my 4th FJR.

I've been looking on and off for a few months. Most recently, within the last two weeks, a slew of 2021 bikes have been appearing all over the country. Intrigued, I asked a dealer in Virginia about it. Apparently, a national motorcycle rental company decided to turn over about fifty (50) 2021 FJRs in it's fleet, and dealers scooped them up for re-sale. At first, I thought these were Yamaha Demo bikes, but that is not the case. They are rental bikes.

All of them are ES models and have between 8,000 and 10,000 miles. From my research, dealers are asking between $14K and $15,500.00. I was able to buy mine from a dealer in Houma, LA (about 100 miles southeast of my home), and negociated the sale price a bit below the lower end. The bike has one scuff on the mirror, one small scratch on the tank (will be under the tank bag), and a couple of scuffs on the right saddle bag. Otherwise, it's spotless and if its been ridden in the rain, I can't tell.

My bike came with a brand new set of tires, albeit the BattleAX B023s (boo!). It had 10,200 miles on it when I bought it, and I took the long way home.

It's a long story, but I was able to sell my '14 FJR to a private buyer in Houma. I got a few hundred more than the dealer was offering on trade, but even that was a bit underwelming. In these parts, selling ANY bike that doesn't have the words "Harley Davidson" on it is difficult. Selling one with 90,000 miles on it is VERY difficult. Perhaps I could have squeezed someone else out of a few hundred more, but that might have taken 6 months, and by then, these 2021 bikes will be gone. So I said "f-it" and pulled the trigger. My buyer plans to join this forum, and I know we will welcome him kindly.

Before I did the deal, I removed everything farkle wise from the bike with the exception of:

1. The 1" bar risers. I don't have the original bolts for the handlebars. I bought that '14 with 1100 miles and it had the risers on it.
2. The T-Rex Frame sliders. One of them was scuffed pretty bad and I decided to just get new ones.
3. Speed bleeders, tank protector, 90 degree valve stems - all self-expanatory.

Most noteworthy was that I was able to keep my beloved Cee Bailey shorty tinted windscreen. I sold red first thing this morning, my buyer brought me to the dealer, and after I bought the new bike, I went back to my buyers house and swapped windscreens (a condition of the sale).

Tomorrow, I guess I'll start putting all the farkles back on.

I enjoyed the ride home on my new bike, and have some comments and questions about that I'll share later.

On the way to my buyer this morning, I really enjoyed thinking about all of the terrific memories I have had on my red FJR over the past 8-ish years. We've been all over the country together, many of those (s)miles shared with many of you. I'm usually not that attached to inadimate objects, but I will admit, leaving Ole Red was a bit melancoly this morning.

Now - it's time to have new adventures and make new memories.

Stay thirsty, my friends.....
morecowbell, BikerGeek, FastPappy and 23 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Re: So Long Ole Red, Hello new Gray!

Post by BkerChuck »

Congrats on the new ride! Sounds like you got a good deal and you're definitely well versed on the FJR platform so a pretty fast learning curve.
Hppants loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
SkooterG
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004 X 2, 2009 X 2, 2013 X3, 2014, 2017, 2023...... I have issues!

Post by SkooterG »

Hppants wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:50 pm Today I bought my 4th FJR.
Pffft! Rookie.
BikerGeek, CraigRegs, fontanaman and 11 others loved this
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

IBA #327

'04 FJR (X2) -- '09 FJR (X2) -- '13 FJR (X3) -- '14 FJR ES -- '17 FJR ES -- '23 FJR ES -- '14 BMW GSA What can I say? I have issues!
Pterodactyl
Veteran
FJRModel: R1250GSA w/ Sidecar

Post by Pterodactyl »

Remember, nothing, absolutely nothing, out preforms a rental.
natehawk750, Bugnatr, Hppants and 2 others loved this
Kevin
The Outpost
Silver City, MT

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.
M. Tyson
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

That's awesome Joey, can't believe old red is gone, but also can't believe old red had that many miles. Here's to more miles on the new one.
Hppants loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Congratulations on the acquisition, now break that Gray Geezer in with a ride to Marietta OH next weekend!
Spininprop, BkerChuck, Road Runner and 2 others loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

Congrats on the new (to you) '21 'pants and great choice of color too!

Enjoy the new scoot!!

~G
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

Congratulations Joey! That sounds like a good deal. The gray is sharp looking. You also get an extra gear and slipper clutch. So awesome!

Now take Big John's advice and ride up to SEO for Thursday through Sunday. See you there.
Last edited by FJRPittsburgh on Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BkerChuck and Road Runner loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Attending SEO would be terrific, but I'm having a medical surgical procedure on May 10. I can get home on May 9, but that's cutting it too close and I shouldn't be physically exhausted for surgery.
El Toro Joe and FJRPittsburgh loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Congratulations, Joey, on the new(er) FJR!

I’m sure you’ll get the miles of smiles that Ol’Red gave you.
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Nice Pants!

I am surprised any rental fleet had FJRs in them, much less 50.
FjrjrF and wheatonFJR loved this
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Don't forget to add your new seat cushion - Image
Hppants loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Interesting first impressions, about 150 miles into the 2021:

1. The 2021 rides practically the same as my 2014 with 90K miles on it - what I would expect. The Hagon shock on the '14, with 40K on it, was starting to show signs. I like the stiffer spring on the ES model. The electronic suspension is really nice - being able to adjust the dampening on the fly to accomodate a sudden change in road quality is way cool and TRULY impressive. I'm going to like that on long ride days.

2. The 6 spd gear box shifts smooth as butter, just as the old 5 spd model did..

3. I can't tell the difference with the slipper clutch. Granted, I haven't yet tried to "slip" it - I'll save that experiment for the next mountain twisty adventure.

4. The LED lighting provides better night time sight. They also appear a tad brighter to oncoming traffic IMO, without being obstructive.

5. The cornering LEDs OTOH are useless. In the curve, I'm looking WAY past their field of view. To me, that crap is just a perfect opportunity to target fix.

6. I like the subtle differences in the dash display and the menu programming on the 2021.

7. I wish they would have found another place for the ES ECU. I carry quite a bit under the seat with me, and could definitely use that extra space.

8. The Liquid Graphite color is definitlely growing on me. As of this writing, EVERY single person I've shown the bike to that has also seen my '14 likes this color better than the red. This includes riders and non-riders. I dunno if they are just being kind or ..... but it's unanimous thus far. That's surprising to me. Another side benefit is that the gray seems to hide the scratches/scuffs much better than the red.

More later as I learn....
bigjohnsd, FJRPittsburgh, Festus and 4 others loved this

Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

Congrats on the new skoot. The liquid graphite (aka asphalt grey) is really pretty. I think I know that color. The electronic suspension is really nice. The only people that pooh pooh it, are those that don't have it. Happy miles!
Hppants and FJRPittsburgh loved this
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
FjrjrF
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2014 - red eyed viper !

Post by FjrjrF »

So tell us. What's it like to be on a slower color? 😜
Congrats on your new ride.
SkooterG, wheatonFJR, Cav47 and 2 others loved this
Jim
2014 Gen 3