Fuel pump not priming

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Wheaton Jr.
Squid
FJRModel: 1992

Re: Fuel pump not priming

Post by Wheaton Jr. »

The Resolution...4/9/22

I started cleaning the tank yesterday with vinegar and a scotch-brite scouring pad. I had let the vinegar sit in it for a while. It seemed to work pretty well, it was just hard to reach all of the areas of the tank inside with my arm. I finished that today, and would say I got 95% of the rust out, much better than before, only time will tell if I got enough. I think the pump failed electronically anyways, not due to rust clogging it up. I rinsed the tank out with lots of alcohol (not the drinking kind), and let it dry. After all that, I had to install the new fuel pump in it's housing, being sure not to break any of the plastic clips. The new filter was a little larger than OEM, so it was a hard fit, and I had to cut a tiny piece of plastic out that fit around it since the part that kept the filter on was slightly different, but I made due, and it seemed like it worked without hurting anything. I got the new o-ring installed, which was definitely needed by seeing how compressed the old one was. The hardest part was installing the fuel level sender bracket to the pump assembly, since I had to have both parts in the tank and then get it clipped in, but it finally happened after several attempts. I attached all fuel hoses, vent lines, electrical connections, and saw if she was thirsty...... and she WAS!!!

It started right up, without hesitation and sounded good in all RPM ranges. :D I checked for leaks and took her to the gas station to fill up. She still rides like new. The fuel level sender seems to be working and I fixed a bad connection on the battery meter while I was in there. All in all, I'm happy I got it all fixed up for a $70 pump and can put my new gear to good use and have a good season of riding this summer. I appreciate all the help and offers here.

-Wheaton Jr.

Video of starting up (after being warmed up)
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Cf57zzNzRNQ

old vs. new o-ring

new helmet, pants, and boots
HotRodZilla, LKLD, Bust and 13 others loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I like it when a plan comes together.

Even better when a Gen 1 bike lives on.

Ride on, man.
FJRPittsburgh, wheatonFJR, and Wheaton Jr. loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Enjoy the fruits of your labor! I hear there is a 2007 in Laurens, SC that just had a new stator installed... Mebbe they can both be load tested today.

That 2004 with 96K on it still has 70-90K left on it. What are you waiting for? Get to it...178/215.....
FJRPittsburgh and Wheaton Jr. loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Woo Hoo! Job well done, very nice!!
FJRPittsburgh and Wheaton Jr. loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: Gen2, Superior 2006, Gen 3 2013 twice as good!

Post by dcarver »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:08 am
dcarver wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:30 am If you're not in a hurry, I have a gen 1 tank and pump the FjRay gave me. I can pull the pump and ship to you IF you can wait for end of month. I'm still working 6x12 graveyard at the nookie. You pay shipping, cheapskate.
Carver,
Thanks for the offer, but David told me that he already ordered the part and might be working on it right now actually. I don't know, Louanne and I are visiting #1son and d-in law in San Antonio right now.
No worries.