Would you buy a FJR with the transmission recall?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Would you buy a FJR with the transmission recall?

Post by danh600 »

Having the 2013 the transmission recall luckily is something I am just watching from the sidelines. At first I was thinking people are getting overly excited about this. Then you see guys have to go without their bikes for months due to parts delays. You see guys get their bikes back and have problems.

Sounds like most recalls are going smooth, but not all.

I am always looking at new bikes. Generally I don't pull the trigger and buy them. Sometimes it takes me awhile. I looked at the MT09 for over two years before I got one.

Just on a whim I did a search on new FJRs. I was thinking just maybe I will give myself a retirement present and trade the 2013 for a 2021. It would be nice to have a newer bike. I also think for me an ES would be fine or better than an A. I just don't ride that hard compared to some of the guys on here.
There are actually a couple of new FJRs for sale in Florida.

Then I get to thinking. Do I really want to trade up and probably come up with over $10k?

Do I want to buy a bike off the show room floor that has been cracked open and put back together?

Yamaha dealers don't like to give you test rides, but I would almost have to ride the repaired bike before I signed the dotted line.

I will almost certainly keep the 2013. It needs some work, but has been an excellent bike. I only have about 75K on it. The old girl has life left.

It's just funny cause I was thinking many are making too much of this recall. That was my opinion when I had no horse in the race. Then I got to thinking how would I act if I was buying a recalled bike! changes your mind a bit when it get's personal.

If I am bored one Saturday I might still ride over and look at the 2021 FJR in stock. Get a feel for the dealership and more important the service department. Seriously doubt I will buy, but I am always dreaming.

Maybe I will just keep the FJR for a few more years then downsize to an FJ9 tracer GT.

Who knows. I love looking at new bikes, but don't end up trading that often.
Last edited by danh600 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YummYam and wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: Would you buy a FJR with the transmission recall?

Post by wheatonFJR »

Im likely on my last FJR. This 13 is a baby and will likely last longer than I will. But to answer your question, I would have similar thoughts as you.
Uncle Hud and N4HHE loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Every time I walk past a newer FJR in a showroom, I pause and think about how great "New BIke Day" is. There are few things in the life of a enthusiast than that first ride on a new bike, are there??

Then I settling into the comfortable and still capable cockpit of my 2009 (my 2nd 2009) and realize how nice it is to not have the associated financial impact that goes with that new bike. An ES would be nice (but I have Ohlins suspenders front and rear now), the integrated cruise as well (but I have CC on my 2009).

For now, until my 2009 self destructs, it will remain where it is...

If I were shopping for a used FJR, the transmission recall would be a determining factor and I'd probably shy away from one that was subject to the recall.
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

We FJR owners are really jaded. Going for years and years with a completely reliable motorcycle and no significant recall campaigns really affects your view. Lots of other manufacturers have more issues than we've seen. Sure, the FJR hasn't been completely problem free (spiders anyone) but this is the first one I can recall with this kind of a public campaign around it. To me, yea, I'd probably buy one, we bought FJR's knowing a spider might leave us stranded too. But I'm with the other jarhead, my 07 will stick around for sure, I haven't used it up yet and see no reason to go spend money for new and shiny. Besides, I'm still paying off the last new and shiny, it's more fun to put new and shiny next to old reliable than swap for new anyway. ;)
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

Wait a sec. This makes no sense.

"I'd shy away from one subject to the recall"

Did anybody here have a second gear calf prior to the recall being announced? Maybe, but i don't recall even one.

Yet your gen 2 has been subject to numerous electrical recalls, spiders, ignition switches... And those effected
nearly everybody with a gen 2. Yet you bought two of them.

Not that matters if your happy with your bike, just an odd thing to say.
SkooterG and N4HHE loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

I can see your point and he's where my head is.

For the electric spider issue - and yes, I was left stranded due to a spider failure after the recall was completed. That said, I know that I can take steps to prevent or mitigate the spider issue (dielectric grease, supplemental ground harness), and complete a field / bush fix to get the bike moving again. I was bit by the spider issue on the first 2009, but not with the second do to the preventive steps I took when I picked up the 2nd one. Deer Slayer has functioned flawlessly, even post deer encounter...

Same for the ignition switch issue - that can be bypassed via bush fix and you can continue on your way.

If you're riding a bike and the 2nd gear trans failure happens, what is the likelihood of you being able to (A) repair that roadside or (B) repair it in your shop (not including Rayzerman) once you get the bike there? My concern comes from the unknown that exists with the shop that completed the trans recall - was the tech / mechanic someone who was intimately familiar with splitting an FJR (or other Yamaha) engine / trans? Was he (or she) hung over or a "that's good enough" type of person?? If I'm buying a used FJR, there's already enough unknowns with a used example as it is that I'd tend to avoid one that I knew had the motor / trans cracked open. That's just me. You do you.
bungie4 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:16 pm Wait a sec. This makes no sense.

"I'd shy away from one subject to the recall"

Did anybody here have a second gear calf prior to the recall being announced? Maybe, but i don't recall even one.

Yet your gen 2 has been subject to numerous electrical recalls, spiders, ignition switches... And those effected
nearly everybody with a gen 2. Yet you bought two of them.

Not that matters if your happy with your bike, just an odd thing to say.
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

There's also the possibility that they fixed this in the production line somewhere along the way, so a new bike sitting on the floor might not need the recall. I haven't followed it close enough to know the timeline but if they announced the recall 6 months ago, you can bet they knew about it 18 months ago.
danh600 loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Festus wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:15 pm There's also the possibility that they fixed this in the production line somewhere along the way, so a new bike sitting on the floor might not need the recall. I haven't followed it close enough to know the timeline but if they announced the recall 6 months ago, you can bet they knew about it 18 months ago.
While that is possible I think it more likely the last 2021 was built before the recall published. Really don’t expect any new were built for 2021, that the few 2021 models the USA gets are leftover 2020.
bill lumberg loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

As long as it had a warranty, I’d buy a recalled bike as quick as I’d buy any other, as long as the work had been done. And I had confirmed that by vin with Yamaha. Mine has over 3,000 miles post recall. It’s like it never happened. I wouldn’t want to buy one that I knew I’d have to live without because it still needed the work. It only takes a few days to get the work done. And you don’t have to give it to them until they’re ready, parts in hand, to do the work. I just wouldn’t choose to buy one that had an outstanding recall.

Regarding trading, I have been equally enthralled by both the super tenere, and the Vulcan voyager, for years. If the FJR disappears, I’d probably go with the Tenere, but I think either bike would be enjoyable. Which is crazy, given how different they are. Just shows I’m an idiot and need to stick with the fjr.
danh600 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:56 am Having the 2013 the transmission recall luckily is something I am just watching from the sidelines. At first I was thinking people are getting overly excited about this. Then you see guys have to go without their bikes for months due to parts delays. You see guys get their bikes back and have problems.

Sounds like most recalls are going smooth, but not all.

I am always looking at new bikes. Generally I don't pull the trigger and buy them. Sometimes it takes me awhile. I looked at the MT09 for over two years before I got one.

Just on a whim I did a search on new FJRs. I was thinking just maybe I will give myself a retirement present and trade the 2013 for a 2021. It would be nice to have a newer bike. I also think for me an ES would be fine or better than an A. I just don't ride that hard compared to some of the guys on here.
There are actually a couple of new FJRs for sale in Florida.

Then I get to thinking. Do I really want to trade up and probably come up with over $10k?

Do I want to buy a bike off the show room floor that has been cracked open and put back together?

Yamaha dealers don't like to give you test rides, but I would almost have to ride the repaired bike before I signed the dotted line.

I will almost certainly keep the 2013. It needs some work, but has been an excellent bike. I only have about 75K on it. The old girl has life left.

It's just funny cause I was thinking many are making too much of this recall. That was my opinion when I had no horse in the race. Then I got to thinking how would I act if I was buying a recalled bike! changes your mind a bit when it get's personal.

If I am bored one Saturday I might still ride over and look at the 2021 FJR in stock. Get a feel for the dealership and more important the service department. Seriously doubt I will buy, but I am always dreaming.

Maybe I will just keep the FJR for a few more years then downsize to an FJ9 tracer GT.

Who knows. I love looking at new bikes, but don't end up trading that often.
dlegg loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Bill Lumberg, it just shows you love riding, period. Your next bike needs to be a Grom, so you can post up video of you embarrassing SC riders on your Grom.
Hppants and gixxerjasen loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I have an aversion to engines that have been taken apart, however, I've read across 3 forums every post to do with this recall. The main thread on FJR Owners is currently 1463 posts long. While this is not a 100% representation of all 6 speed owners, we have some (small) numbers that were concerning, so I will state those from memory and help you understand the risk.
3 or 4 had issues pre-recall, 2nd gear broke and 1 resulted in a grenaded engine as gear parts jammed, broke a connecting rod. Yammy stepped up and gave him a brand new engine. One guy had 2 repairs done pre-recall, then got the recall notice.
There are a small handful currently awaiting recall work, parts are in short supply, expected to be a month or two before they arrive.
2 folks with the recall rode home and developed engine noises, root cause lack of oil lubrication to camshafts on one, and the other lower engine bearing issues. Engines toast, we're fully expecting Yammy/dealer to step up with new engines (have not heard end results yet). Why lack of lubrication?... oil gallery blocked by Yamabond used when putting the lower engine case back on, oops, Yamaha issued technical bulletin, however, the instructions are clear in the service manual how and where exactly to apply Yamabond.
So really, we've had a small handful of problems that we know of, and I expect they will be resolved.
By far the vast majority are like Mr. Lumberg's.... other than the dealer missing a couple of fasteners when putting the plastic back on, should be good. If the bike has been ridden any kind of miles post recall, then you can be confident the Yamabond was done correctly. That would be one of my criteria, how many miles since the recall work, more the better.
The new forged 2nd gear was incorporated into the 2021's, part numbers were changed prior to the US recall, the new replacement engines the aforementioned got were 2021 version.
You decide if you want to spend the big bucks to buy a 2021 or a used one..... don't blame you for hesitating....
dlegg and bill lumberg loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

raYzerman wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:21 am If the bike has been ridden any kind of miles post recall, then you can be confident the Yamabond was done correctly. That would be one of my criteria, how many miles since the recall work, more the better.
This was something I had in mind earlier but didn't post. If it's been repaired and ridden well for a while, then yes. I might have some hesitation if it's a used bike that has been very recently repaired, especially since I don't know if the warranty on that particular work would transfer over to me. If it's a brand new one and the dealer is going to repair it before I take ownership of it, I'd probably have enough confidence to do that.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

From what I understand, an FJR built post 11/2020 has the new gear from the factory.

Dan - you are not alone. If I owned one under the recall, I'd get it done by the best dealer I could find and hope for the best. But I would not buy a bike that needs this done. The motor is assembled by human hands, I get it. But there is no point in searching for it, in my opinion. If Bill's bike (thousands of miles post recall) was for sale, I might consider that. After all, it's been ridden enough after the recall to know that it was done correctly. But then again, I wouldn't buy an FJR with a ton of miles on it. I have one of those - I'd buy one with little to no miles on it.

I retire next year. I am thinking about replacing my '14 with a new FJR as a retirement present to myself, similarly to Dan's idea. If that happens, it will be a 2021ES (built after 11/2020) or I won't buy it.

My $0.02 worth.
Cav47 and danh600 loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

kieefjr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016A **** 1988 BMW K75c

Post by kieefjr »

I made a deal for an even trade/swap for my 2016 and didn’t worry about the recall. Figured I’d get a new tranny and the bike I’ve been wanting for quite a while.

Never got the recall letter except for the brake switch.
Uncle Hud loved this
"If you don't like how I run the place, don't come here anymore." Iggy
ymillman
Squid
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300ES

Post by ymillman »

2021 models are not subject to recall. Only 2016 - 2020. I have a 2016 ES and just had it done. Took one week at the local dealer, Moon Motorsports in Monticello, MN. I rode it home today, about 40 miles, could not tell anything was different. Hope it remains trouble free as it has always been. I have 21,200 miles on mine.
HotRodZilla loved this
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

I emailed the dealer closest to me with a 2021FJR. I asked if it was subject to the recall. I also asked if they were interested in trading a 2013FJR for it.

I didn't give them my number just an email. At this point I am not that serious, but always a little interested.
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

Got the serial number off the 2021 from the dealer website. Doesn't seem to be subject to the recall.
JYARP30E4MA001051

Couple days and the dealer never contacted me after I emailed them. I guess their bikes are just for looking at, not for sale.
Travlr_45
Squid
FJRModel: 2019

Post by Travlr_45 »

I just had the recall performed a couple weeks ago, as another poster said, it’s like it never happened. Bike is smooth as ever, strong as ever, the slight “ notchy feel ” between gears are gone, with that said I was very distraught when I first learned about the recall. But, the local dealer here who did the work followed through on every aspect of his word. Dropped the bike off on a Saturday, got the call Wednesday saying it was ready. Picked up on Saturday morning, over the next few days got in about a 100 miles of time, bike is perfect. This will likely be the last new bike I purchase for my touring needs. It’s comfortable, smooth, quiet, and reliable. Purchased in oct of 19, it will be paid off in January of 22. After 2 cross country trips on it in 1 year I can say absolutely it’s a keeper.
raYzerman, wheatonFJR, and danh600 loved this
Road Runner
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR Advanced Edition

Post by Road Runner »

I would not.
It would have to be a great deal. Then I would do it myself.
"A biker never knows" - Tim Allen

Art
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

Road Runner wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:05 am I would not.
It would have to be a great deal. Then I would do it myself.
You would have to get a Yamaha dealer to sign off on it.

I am having a Honda dealer do some maintenance work on my FJR. They can't do the recall and report it on the Yamaha database.