Book time for fork bushing change?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Angus_McL
Squid
FJRModel: 2012

Book time for fork bushing change?

Post by Angus_McL »

Anyone know or have an educated guess how much time the dealer would throw at a fork bushing change? I've got the forks off the bike and the first dealer is telling me 3hrs. That seems a little on the high side to me. I haven't heard back from the second dealer yet.

Also, is there a 'kit' for this job, or are all the parts ordered separately? Fork seals are the most expensive part(s) on the list, but I'm thinking they should be swapped out regardless of the condition of the current ones?

Thanks,

A.
natehawk750
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR1300A, 2001 zrx1200r, 2001 XR650R

Re: Book time for fork bushing change?

Post by natehawk750 »

Calling gixxerjasen!
PhilJet09, Cav47, and wheatonFJR loved this
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Angus_McL
Squid

Post by Angus_McL »

I've heard bits of that legendary tale!! That's why I'm getting dealers to uote the job!! ;-P
PhilJet09, Cav47, and natehawk750 loved this
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

Too bad the borders are closed. I am hosting a tech day in April. I could show you how to do it yourself! Could even give you a list of everything you need to order.
Bust loved this
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Let's back up a step..... are the seals leaking? What is the mileage on this particular set of bushings?
To answer one question, if you take the forks apart, you are replacing the seals and the bushings. Sounds like your seals are not leaking if you're questioning it....... so mileage please.
Bust and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Angus_McL wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:43 pm Anyone know or have an educated guess how much time the dealer would throw at a fork bushing change? I've got the forks off the bike and the first dealer is telling me 3hrs. That seems a little on the high side to me. I haven't heard back from the second dealer yet.

Also, is there a 'kit' for this job, or are all the parts ordered separately? Fork seals are the most expensive part(s) on the list, but I'm thinking they should be swapped out regardless of the condition of the current ones?

Thanks,

A.
Three hours doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Its a bit messy and sometimes a problem getting them apart.

Yes, I would definitely change the seals when you do the bushings.
I ordered all the parts separately when I did mine. But I think there is a fork seal kit (2 required) that I believe includes a dust seal, oil seal, snap ring and "seat". Probably only the dust seal and oil seal need to be replaced.
Fiche for 2011
https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oempa ... front-fork
Canadian FJR
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018 FJR-1300ES, 2010 Ural Gear Up, 2003
Yamaha FJR-1300, 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650 (Gone to a new home), 1997 Suzuki TL-1000s (Gone but not forgotten), 1976 Honda 400 Four, 1968 Honda C-50 Step-thru

Post by Canadian FJR »

Sounds about right assuming they are giving things a good flush and cleaning.

If you are looking at Shore Cycle, this is supposed to be Frank’s specialty.

When apart, replace everything. All oem parts.

I always used Pro-Tech then Podium 1 for my race bike and street bikes. They have both closed shop. I’ll see if I can did out some old work orders to see if time estimate aligns.

Canadian FJR
Auburn
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006

Post by Auburn »

It takes me 2-3 hours depending on how difficult they come apart if they are off the bike. The kit has a pair of seals and dust sealed in it you still need the bushings. Snap rings and washers don’t usually need to be replaced. All the parts are about $75 total plus a quart of oil.
get out and ride! IBA #54706
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

I usually take my time, it will go over 2 hrs. In my experience, the FJR top bushing is too much of an interference fit and quite difficult to remove without heating the outer fork tube first. The lower bushings wear the most, depending on how aggressively you ride, they are due for replacement ~30k miles.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Agree with Ray. The lower bushing must be replaced - the coating (teflon??) is gone at 30K. The middle and upper bushings have hardly any wear. I'd consider taking a chance with those.

Last go round, I learned from a seasoned motorcycle mechanic that I've been doing it wrong for as long as I can remember. Leave the top cap on the upper fork. compress the lower fork to put some tension on the spring and remove the lower (piston) bolt. Drain the fluid and pull the top cap with the spring/damper assembly out all at once. Then use the slide hammer method to separate the upper and lower forks. Reverse for assembly.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

When Bob did the ones for Jolene, I was so proud, I had them off and drained them, and took them to him one Saturday morning. He said "What'd you drain the oil for?" I thought I was being helpful. Turns out that plays an important part of getting them apart :)
wheatonFJR loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

That's because Bob has that big press...
Lower and middle bushings will be destroyed upon removal, upper may be unscathed.
A couple of tales of woe for the Gen3 guys (damping on right fork only)... if I remember right, one guy with 2013 somehow broke his lower cartridge valve, two others had their dealers damage something down there. Note1 - compression valve is pressed in and staked, not threaded in like Gen2. NOTE2 - no replacement cartridges available for 2013-15... just those years. Must buy complete fork. Cannot substitute 2016-up cartridges.

Since those discussions, I am no longer recommending use of impact driver to remove lower bolt... use appropriate cartridge holding tool. I have a simple one made from thin wall 1" square tubing, very little investment, no welding required.
Bust, Festus, and wheatonFJR loved this
Angus_McL
Squid

Post by Angus_McL »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:46 pm Let's back up a step..... are the seals leaking? What is the mileage on this particular set of bushings?
To answer one question, if you take the forks apart, you are replacing the seals and the bushings. Sounds like your seals are not leaking if you're questioning it....... so mileage please.
The bike is a '12 with roughly 65k km on it. The front has been a little 'loose' since I bought it in '19. I brought it back to the dealer the next week and they of course told me there was nothing wrong. I messed with the head bearing last year with no improvement. I pulled things apart again last weekend and torqued the bearings to your spec Ray (on the upper side... 18ish ft-lbs). When I grabbed the fork bottoms I could still feel a little bit of a 'clunk, clunk'. So I pulled the forks as I feel the next step is bushing replacement. The current seals are not leaking.

@CanadianFJR, Shore Cycle gave me the initial quote of 3hrs plus parts. I gave them the part numbers I wanted based on what's shown in the fiche. I haven't heard back from Liberty. I called Monday and no estimate yet.

I appreciate all the feedback guys. Sounds like the initial estimate is reasonable.

Thanks,

A.
Angus_McL
Squid

Post by Angus_McL »

Just as an update... had the bushings done at Shore Cycle. 3Hrs labour + parts was about $500CDN. After setting the head bearings and the new bushings, the 'clunk, clunk' seems to be gone. Good news there!

I had left a note for the tech to call me about oil as I'm running stiffer springs from Hagon and they spec'd heavier oil (7.5wt I think). There was no call from Shore and the paper work says 5wt oil at stock height. They also set the preload, damping, & rebound to stock values. I'll try it there to start, but I imagine I'll be digging out my notes to see where I had left things last year. Not a big issue, but I would have appreciated a call.

A.
wheatonFJR loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

You're OK with 5W, really, less oil would mean more air cushion. If a concern about a bit less oil for slightly heavier spring wire or cushion, you could get a syringe and suck out a bit.... theoretical calculation ~45mm ID x 20mm height would be 32cc to remove to drop the level 20mm.

Standard damping (12 clicks out) is quite mild.... I'd start at 8 clicks out and tweak from there. Preload dependent on your weight and sag readings, or if you were happy before, use what you had if you have your notes. Hagons progressive, spring rates unknown, so maybe a little extra than you'd use with straight rate springs, maybe a tad more compression damping?
Angus_McL loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Angus_McL wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:16 pm Just as an update... had the bushings done at Shore Cycle. 3Hrs labour + parts was about $500CDN. After setting the head bearings and the new bushings, the 'clunk, clunk' seems to be gone. Good news there!

I had left a note for the tech to call me about oil as I'm running stiffer springs from Hagon and they spec'd heavier oil (7.5wt I think). There was no call from Shore and the paper work says 5wt oil at stock height. They also set the preload, damping, & rebound to stock values. I'll try it there to start, but I imagine I'll be digging out my notes to see where I had left things last year. Not a big issue, but I would have appreciated a call.

A.
I just got all the stuff to do mine (except the top bushing). Just have to find the time (more than three hours!)
Angus_McL and N4HHE loved this
Canadian FJR
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018 FJR-1300ES, 2010 Ural Gear Up, 2003
Yamaha FJR-1300, 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650 (Gone to a new home), 1997 Suzuki TL-1000s (Gone but not forgotten), 1976 Honda 400 Four, 1968 Honda C-50 Step-thru

Post by Canadian FJR »

I sure hope Shore Cycle appreciates all the business we are giving them.

Canadian FJR
Angus_McL and FJRoss loved this