Suspension advice wanted please

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Road Runner
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR Advanced Edition
1987 KLR 650 Thumper

Re: Suspension advice wanted please

Post by Road Runner »

I went with the Traxxion AK 20's up front and Ohlins YA 707 in back. Like Wayne said, I could ride 1 up loaded or 2 up loaded and adjust it so handled great either way. It was an 07 and it handled like it was on rails and the harder you pushed the better it got. Best money I spent on the bike along with the seat. If or when I get another FJR it will be a gen 2 with same suspension.
NTXFJR and wheatonFJR loved this
"A biker never knows" - Tim Allen

Art
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

NTXFJR, I was in the same boat about spending the money........I REALLY didn't want to. Hoped like hell a used Penske would pop up but it didn't at that time. Even then, if you aren't watching the forum like a hawk good chance someone else will have snatched it up before you. I went with Traxxion springs in the front, that didn't damage the wallet much. I highly recommend getting that kit. As far the rear shock, I tortured myself about getting it or not because of the price. In the end I opened my wallet, turned my head and let the money fly out to Penske. I am so glad I did it. I hadn't realized how tired the OEM suspension was. Plus, when pulling the rear OEM shock off there was a very small leak that had started. Got a little lucky there. In the end, Huge Huge improvement and worth every penny.

With that said, the Hagon shock hadn't been discovered on these forums by then so they weren't in the running at that time. The people who have bought them have been happy with them from everything I have read. So some money savings could be had there.

If you go with a new Penske I recommend ordering in the next week or two before they really get started in their busy season. The small town track racers will be putting their orders in soon, if it hasn't started already, then your wait could be in the two month range.
Last edited by Steel_Gin on Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NTXFJR and wheatonFJR loved this
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

I bit the bullet last week and ordered a 8975 shock along with their fork springs rated for my weight. I too turned my head while pulling out the plastic. I think they said it will be ready around 3/15.
Hppants, Panman, Road Runner and 1 others loved this
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

NTXFJR wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:20 pm I bit the bullet last week and ordered a 8975 shock along with their fork springs rated for my weight. I too turned my head while pulling out the plastic. I think they said it will be ready around 3/15.
Congrats!! You will love it for sure. About a three week wait isn't bad. When I ordered mine I didn't know I was ordering right at the beginning of their busy season and had to wait about six weeks. Just a FYI, When I talked to the Traxxion guys they told me they make the springs for Penske. Didn't know that before I decided to go with Traxxion and a Penske, I find it nice knowing the springs came from the same place.